The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 26, 2013, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
I didn't read much of that but I will say two things: I don't know what a "hotstep" is and steps don't matter in regards to traveling violations.
a hotstep (hopstep?) is the person does a quick hop/leap with both legs then landing with both legs right after picking up his dribble, which is considered 2 steps.

which makes me wonder, after the hopstep, can you still choose your pivot foot and pivot?
Old Tue Mar 26, 2013, 03:44pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Are you thinking of what we call a "jump stop"? Your description here seems patently illegal, as it's never legal to jump off of two feet and land while holding the ball the whole time.

A legal jump stop actually changes the pivot foot rules slightly, in that it allows a moving player to catch the ball (or end the dribble) with one foot on the floor and jump, landing on both feet simultaneously. Similarly, a moving player can catch the ball in the air, land on one foot, and jump if he lands on both feet simultaneously.

In either of those cases, neither foot may be a pivot foot. One or both feet may be lifted, as long as neither returns to the floor prior to a shot or pass.
Old Tue Mar 26, 2013, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Potato,

Maybe I missed it, but did you mention why you were looking for this level of details about the rules? I'm just curious.

Also it may help for you to order the most recent rules books for whatever level of basketball in which you are interested.
National Federation of State High School Associations - Basketball
NCAA Publications - 2011-2013 Men's & Women's Basketball Rule Book (2 Year Publication)
NBA.com - Official Rules of the National Basketball Association
Official Basketball Rules | FIBA.COM
Old Wed Mar 27, 2013, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

So can we confirm this move is legal?

Dre Baldwin: How To Jumpstop/ Pro Hop/ Hop Step Tutorial | NBA Scoring Moves Drills Dwyane Wade - YouTube

He dribbles, picked up his dribble,established his right foot as pivot, jump off his pivot foot, lands on both foot, shoots. In this case he can no longer move any feet. Isn't it illegal to land on the pivot foot?

And someone commented if it's a pro hop where he ends his dribble in the air and lands on both feet he can choose a pivot foot which sounds ok because he only took 2 steps after ending the dribble.
Old Wed Mar 27, 2013, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by potato View Post

Dre Baldwin: How To Jumpstop/ Pro Hop/ Hop Step Tutorial | NBA Scoring Moves Drills Dwyane Wade - YouTube

He dribbles, picked up his dribble,established his right foot as pivot, jump off his pivot foot, lands on both foot, shoots. In this case he can no longer move any feet. Isn't it illegal to land on the pivot foot?

And someone commented if it's a pro hop where he ends his dribble in the air and lands on both feet he can choose a pivot foot which sounds ok because he only took 2 steps after ending the dribble.
didn't watch the video, but:

1) Yes, it's normally illegal to jump off the pivot foot and land on the pivot foot. The jump stop you mention is an exception to that, but it can only be don in certain circumstances.

2) No, the player took NO STEPS after ending the dribble.

Note that the terms you use (jump stop and pro hop) are not mentioned in the NFHS rules book -- they are "fan speak." (To be fair, I think jump stop is mentioned in the NCAA book, but it has both of the definitions above.)
Old Wed Mar 27, 2013, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
didn't watch the video, but:

1) Yes, it's normally illegal to jump off the pivot foot and land on the pivot foot. The jump stop you mention is an exception to that, but it can only be don in certain circumstances.

2) No, the player took NO STEPS after ending the dribble.

Note that the terms you use (jump stop and pro hop) are not mentioned in the NFHS rules book -- they are "fan speak." (To be fair, I think jump stop is mentioned in the NCAA book, but it has both of the definitions above.)

Does that mean "Euro step" isn't mentioned either?
Old Wed Mar 27, 2013, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

This is what I was trying to mention to you earlier potato. You need to specify what rule set you're trying to get clarification on. The ruling will be different under NCAA/NFHS/FIBA rules than the NBA...which is why you shouldn't look at NBA example of plays unless you want clarification under their rules because there will be plays legal in the NBA that aren't under a different rule set.

Jump/Pro/Hop (not hot) step under NCAA and NFHS rules (and I assume FIBA but I won't say for sure):

If a player ends their dribble/catches the ball with both feet in the air, they may land on both feet. In this case they may pivot with either foot.

If a player ends their dribble/catches the ball with both feet in the air, they may land on one foot, jump off that foot, and may land on both feet. In this case, they MAY NOT pivot.

If a player ends their dribble/catches the ball with a foot on the floor, they may jump off that foot and land on both feet simultaneously. In this case, they MAY NOT pivot.

NBA:

If a player gathers the ball (ends their dribble or catches the ball) with both feet in the air, they may land on both feet and may pivot with either foot.

If a player gathers the ball with a foot on the floor, they may jump off that foot and land on both feet. In this case, they may pivot with either foot.

If a player gathers the ball with with a foot on the floor, they may step with the other foot, jump off that foot, and land on both feet simultaneously. In this case, they MAY NOT pivot.

Finally, you seriously need to stop using steps unless you're asking about traveling under NBA rules. They are the only rule set that uses steps in determining the pivot foot.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Mar 27, 2013, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Most wreck leagues in my area like the one potato probably participates in uses NFHS rules. Mainly because the officials are mainly NFHS officials.
Old Wed Mar 27, 2013, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by potato View Post

Went and looked at the video. He does not establish the right foot as the pivot foot. In the example above, if an official determines the dribble is ended with the right foot on the floor, the pivot foot is not established until the other foot (in this case, the left foot) touches the floor. Since he decided to execute a jump/pro/hop step (meaning he jumped off his right foot and landed simultaneously on both feet), he would not be able to pivot in this scenario.

If the official determines the player ended his dribble with both feet in the air (and some of them are close), then when he lands on both feet, he does not have a pivot foot, but may step with either foot establishing the other as the pivot foot.

NBA interpretation:

Since the above clip mentioned NBA, I'll assume you'll want an explanation for that as well. In this plays above, it doesn't matter if the ball was gathered (dribbled ended) with a foot on the floor or airborne)...he would be able to pivot after landing on both feet simultaneously in either case. He would establish a pivot foot after stepping with either foot after the jump stop.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Wed Mar 27, 2013, 02:46pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by #olderthanilook View Post
Most wreck leagues in my area like the one potato probably participates in uses NFHS rules. Mainly because the officials are mainly NFHS officials.
I think he's talking about pick-up ball, not even men's rec league.

You know, the call-you-own-foul-if-you-made-him-bleed stuff.
Old Wed Mar 27, 2013, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
More than likely, due to potato's location, he'd probably be used to FIBA or NBA since NFHS and NCAA is not popular internationally and more than likely he would see the NBA.

Old Wed Mar 27, 2013, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
More than likely, due to potato's location, he'd probably be used to FIBA or NBA since NFHS and NCAA is not popular internationally and more than likely he would see the NBA.
Where is he located? Ireland (going with the po tay to theme)?
Old Wed Mar 27, 2013, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Where is he located? Ireland (going with the po tay to theme)?
I will let potato reveal that if he wishes.

Old Wed Mar 27, 2013, 03:11pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
I will let potato reveal that if he wishes.
I was hoping you weren't going to make me moderate you.