The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 26, 2013, 08:27pm

Gear

Hello everyone.

This is my first post on this forum. I'm going to be a new basketball official in the 2013-14 season. I feel silly asking this question but I'm curious what is the best gear to buy. (Shoes, shirt, pants.) Thanks.
Old Tue Mar 26, 2013, 08:42pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Toyota or Nissan?

You'll probably get a lot of differing answers for this one. Much is personal preference. Trial and error. Good and bad experiences. May want to see if you can find a local official or two and check out their gear for quality and sizing, etc. That said, there's a good many on-line stores to choose from - Official's Choice, Honigs, Refshop, etc.

PS - welcome to the Forum and our avocation. Good luck!
Old Tue Mar 26, 2013, 09:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Shirt--Any that is comfortable. Probably stay away from buying the polyester fabric type.

Pants--Sansabelt is the best IMO. But there are other quality types. Buy beltless and have them hemmed by a tailor or someone you know.

Shoes--Totally personal preference. Just try to get as much black on them as possible. Listen to what is even acceptable in your area as it is hard to find all-black shoes and what is available might not be comfortable. Also consider as much leather on them as a starting point. But as stated check your local listings.

Most importantly, only order from an official's outlet store (Honigs, Gerry Davis Sports, Official's Call, Purchase Officials) that is online or you can call them. Do not go get stuff form a local sporting good store or try to save a few extra dollars by getting a black pair of pants at Wal-Mart or Target. The only thing you can buy at one of those stores are shoes as shoes are often about availability and style that sometimes you cannot get everywhere at the same time. Otherwise go to those stores listed and you can get a lot of the same type of stuff and brands if you look over their inventory.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 09:58am.
Old Wed Mar 27, 2013, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Before spending any money, you should check with the association or scheduler you will be working with. You don't want to buy something only to find out that you won't be allowed to use for the games you are planning to work.
Old Wed Mar 27, 2013, 09:30am
This IS My Social Life

Do This

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojeremy View Post
Hello everyone.

This is my first post on this forum. I'm going to be a new basketball official in the 2013-14 season. I feel silly asking this question but I'm curious what is the best gear to buy. (Shoes, shirt, pants.) Thanks.
For your first year, do this:

Go to Purchase Officials or Honigs or Smitty's or any other online distributor and order a package special that'll give you your shirt, pants, warmup jacket, and whistle. Shoes are usually separate, and according to what seems to be a consensus on this forum, order yourself a pair of Reebok Zigs.
Based on how these items do for you your first year, and adding all the input you get from partners you work with your first season, you'll know what's best and most suitable to order for your second year. You're unlikely to solicit sufficient opinions to order what you personally would consider "just right" on this forum, since everyone has his/her own personal preferences when it comes to garb and gear.
Old Wed Mar 27, 2013, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
For your first year, do this:

Go to Purchase Officials or Honigs or Smitty's or any other online distributor and order a package special that'll give you your shirt, pants, warmup jacket, and whistle. Shoes are usually separate, and according to what seems to be a consensus on this forum, order yourself a pair of Reebok Zigs.
Based on how these items do for you your first year, and adding all the input you get from partners you work with your first season, you'll know what's best and most suitable to order for your second year. You're unlikely to solicit sufficient opinions to order what you personally would consider "just right" on this forum, since everyone has his/her own personal preferences when it comes to garb and gear.
1) Only order the zigs if you have normal width feet.

2) Ask whoever you will be working for if there's a clinic and if vendors will be there. This will let you see / try on the gear for the first time so you can get the right size and choose the gear that's right for you.
Old Wed Mar 27, 2013, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

I've worn just about everything out there, with the exception of pants made by Honigs, Smitty, and some others. I agree with JR: Sansabelt are the best pants if for no other reason than they hold up better than any other pants out there, but I'm sure the Honigs, etc. pants are fine. Whatever you do, do NOT buy pants that are not sold by some official's supply.

As far as shirts, I think Smitty makes the best ones now. I've worn Officials Choice and some Honigs shirts from a few years ago. Never worn Cliff Keen or others -- at least not in years. All shirts are poly -- what Rut means is to get the newer, lightweight microfiber poly shirts. Check your association to see if they wear the gray shirt.

Don't buy any shoes until you go to a running store and find out what your foot type is. I cringe whenever I see a shoe thread on here because everyone assumes shoes are like pants and shirts, but they aren't. If you're a neutral, under pronator like me, you will need a cushioning shoe of some sort. I wear running shoes and that may work for you, or you might be able to get away with a cross trainer. If your foot goes inward when you run, even slightly, you over-pronate and most court or cross trainer shoes will work, depending on your foot width. Finding the right shoes should be your number one priority. Wearing a shirt you don't like won't hurt you, but wearing a bad shoe will.

Consider also under-stuff. Under armour is fine; I like Nike Pro and most running apparel for an under shirt and tights will work great. If money is an issue at first, Champion at Target is pretty decent stuff and should last a season. Some Nike stuff at Academy also isn't very expensive.

I wear a running type brief and the same socks I run in for basketball. Check out running stores online for good brands and just get whatever fits and feels best to you. Stores sell their own brands of various things like briefs and socks that are made in the same factories the name brand stuff is. Road Runner Sports and Runners Warehouse are 2 good places to start. They'll also educate you a little on foot type if you need to better understand that.
Old Wed Mar 27, 2013, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

I bought my first Honig's basketball shirt this year and I love it. Light, comfortable, and the fit is great. It seems to taper at the bottom and doesn't fit like a dress like some of my other shirts. Seems like it stays tucked in better too.

Sansabelt pants are the best. I have about three good pair that I rotate all the time. The oldest pair is about 4-5 years old and still look good.

Shoes are totally personal preference. I have the Zigs now and like them a lot. I wish they weren't patent leather but were instead regular leather so I could shine them how I want.
Old Wed Mar 27, 2013, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Good luck!!!

Don't spend a huge amount of money until you're sure you're going to like it. Three years ago our pool had 15 rookies at the start of the year- by years end one was left. "Last damn time we're buying whistles for the first years", was what one board member said.

Check with your pool- what ours does is, if someone is quitting, retiring or has something extra, we bring it in the night of first study club- and the first years get first crack at the stuff.

Welcome and good luck!!! Remember, there are no stupid questions. None.
Old Wed Mar 27, 2013, 04:28pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
How about......

Quote:
Originally Posted by stir22 View Post
Remember, there are no stupid questions. None.
What's the first rule of officiating?