Thread: Gear
View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 27, 2013, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

I've worn just about everything out there, with the exception of pants made by Honigs, Smitty, and some others. I agree with JR: Sansabelt are the best pants if for no other reason than they hold up better than any other pants out there, but I'm sure the Honigs, etc. pants are fine. Whatever you do, do NOT buy pants that are not sold by some official's supply.

As far as shirts, I think Smitty makes the best ones now. I've worn Officials Choice and some Honigs shirts from a few years ago. Never worn Cliff Keen or others -- at least not in years. All shirts are poly -- what Rut means is to get the newer, lightweight microfiber poly shirts. Check your association to see if they wear the gray shirt.

Don't buy any shoes until you go to a running store and find out what your foot type is. I cringe whenever I see a shoe thread on here because everyone assumes shoes are like pants and shirts, but they aren't. If you're a neutral, under pronator like me, you will need a cushioning shoe of some sort. I wear running shoes and that may work for you, or you might be able to get away with a cross trainer. If your foot goes inward when you run, even slightly, you over-pronate and most court or cross trainer shoes will work, depending on your foot width. Finding the right shoes should be your number one priority. Wearing a shirt you don't like won't hurt you, but wearing a bad shoe will.

Consider also under-stuff. Under armour is fine; I like Nike Pro and most running apparel for an under shirt and tights will work great. If money is an issue at first, Champion at Target is pretty decent stuff and should last a season. Some Nike stuff at Academy also isn't very expensive.

I wear a running type brief and the same socks I run in for basketball. Check out running stores online for good brands and just get whatever fits and feels best to you. Stores sell their own brands of various things like briefs and socks that are made in the same factories the name brand stuff is. Road Runner Sports and Runners Warehouse are 2 good places to start. They'll also educate you a little on foot type if you need to better understand that.