The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 22, 2013, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Yes he does regain FC status -- foot on floor in FC, nothing touching the BC before he touches the ball.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toren View Post
It's close, I see back foot touching in backcourt at time of touching of the ball.
But, If it was a dribble (and I think the initial release was a dribble) he does not return to the FC until the both feet touch entirely in the frontcourt. The back foot in the air, due to the 3-points clause, is still in the backcourt.

Of course, that doesn't change the fact that it should have been a foul to start with.

This brings up an interesting question. We know that a dribbler who steps on the OOB line has violated even if they are not touching the ball at the time they step OOB. What about the division line? It doesn't specify that. Does the mere fact that a dribbler steps on the division line give the ball backcourt status? I think it does, indirectly through the 3-points rule.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Fri Mar 22, 2013 at 11:14am.
Old Fri Mar 22, 2013, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
But, If it was a dribble (and I think the initial release was a dribble) he does not return to the FC until the both feet touch entirely in the frontcourt. The back foot in the air, due to the 3-points clause, is still in the backcourt.
That's only on a dribble from the BC to the FC. Since this dribble started in the FC, it doesn't apply.

(But your question / point about touching the BC while dribbling is interesting. I haven't watched again -- was this an interrupted dribble?)
Old Fri Mar 22, 2013, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
That's only on a dribble from the BC to the FC. Since this dribble started in the FC, it doesn't apply.

(But your question / point about touching the BC while dribbling is interesting. I haven't watched again -- was this an interrupted dribble?)
I don't think it was interrupted.

But, on the original point, since the dribbler gains BC status by stepping in the BC, does it then become, technically, a dribble from BC to FC. We have a dribble, we have a dribbler, that dribbler is in the BC. When does a dribbler who is in the BC gain FC status? Is that perhaps the spirit of the rule? That would also cover most cases of a dribbler stepping on the line.
Old Fri Mar 22, 2013, 12:09pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I don't think it was interrupted.

But, on the original point, since the dribbler gains BC status by stepping in the BC, does it then become, technically, a dribble from BC to FC. We have a dribble, we have a dribbler, that dribbler is in the BC. When does a dribbler who is in the BC gain FC status? Is that perhaps the spirit of the rule? That would also cover most cases of a dribbler stepping on the line.
He began his dribble in the frontcourt in the video. He touched the backcourt after releasing the ball then when he touched the ball again he was no longer touching the back court.

I understand what you're trying to ask but 3-points doesn't apply to this play as he never dribbled while in the back court. Now if you are saying is should be a BC violaton b/c he stepped in the backcourt DURING his dribble I can understand the logic.
Old Fri Mar 22, 2013, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
He began his dribble in the frontcourt in the video. He touched the backcourt after releasing the ball then when he touched the ball again he was no longer touching the back court.

I understand what you're trying to ask but 3-points doesn't apply to this play as he never dribbled while in the back court. Now if you are saying is should be a BC violaton b/c he stepped in the backcourt DURING his dribble I can understand the logic.
He was a dribbler. He gained backcourt status. That makes him a dribbler in the backcourt. He then became a dribbler in the backcourt who was coming the frontcourt....all during the dribble. I'm not so sure it doesn't apply.

In a sense, I guess I'm suggesting that the ball has the same status as the dribbler when the dribbler steps in the backcourt even if the ball itself never touches in the backcourt or is never touched by the dribbler while in the BC....a lot like OOB. The dribbler is in effect treated as if they're touching the ball 100% of the time as far as court location is concerned.

Imagine a different play....a guard circling very high near the division line and clearly dribbling the ball. The dribbler steps on the line. Do you really think that we need to know whether the dribbler was touching the ball precisely at that moment or does the dribbler get to step in the backcourt as long as they don't touch the ball while their foot is down?

Last edited by Camron Rust; Fri Mar 22, 2013 at 02:30pm.
Old Fri Mar 22, 2013, 03:58pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
He was a dribbler. He gained backcourt status. That makes him a dribbler in the backcourt. He then became a dribbler in the backcourt who was coming the frontcourt....all during the dribble. I'm not so sure it doesn't apply.

He began his dribble in the front court, you're ignoring that part of the play. How can he began his dribble in the frontcourt and also be afforded 3-points privileges?
Old Fri Mar 22, 2013, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
He began his dribble in the front court, you're ignoring that part of the play. How can he began his dribble in the frontcourt and also be afforded 3-points privileges?
Because he then took it to the backcourt by stepping in the backcourt. The moment he stepped in the backcourt while he was dribbling, he was a dribbler in the backcourt. At that point, he would, being that it was during a dribble and being located in the backcourt, remain in the backcourt until he touched all 3 items in the frontcourt.

I think that it should be a violation no matter how you try to slice it as the rules never intended for a dribbler to be able to step into the backcourt during a dribble.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Fri Mar 22, 2013 at 04:34pm.
Old Sat Mar 23, 2013, 05:26pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Because he then took it to the backcourt by stepping in the backcourt. The moment he stepped in the backcourt while he was dribbling, he was a dribbler in the backcourt. At that point, he would, being that it was during a dribble and being located in the backcourt, remain in the backcourt until he touched all 3 items in the frontcourt.

I think that it should be a violation no matter how you try to slice it as the rules never intended for a dribbler to be able to step into the backcourt during a dribble.
You either call a violation for a frontcourt dribbler gaining backcourt status or you call nothing since he didn't touch the ball while touching the backcourt.

But to say that he was dribbling in the frontcourt, gained backcourt status, and that he has to have both feet touch the frontcourt to avoid the violation is utterly ridiculous.