The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 20, 2013, 04:08pm
Esteemed Forum Member

We Have Met The Enemy And He Is Us (Walt Kelly) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I do sort of wonder who "they" are.
As much as I hate to say it, sometimes they are an official.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Mar 20, 2013, 04:12pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Pants On Fire ...

Quote:
I'm not checking under the bandaids.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Heck no. Dumb kid tells you he's wearing jewelry, we have to address it. He tells me there's nothing under there, I believe him.
Agree. If he ends up being a liar with a ripped ear lobe, then so be it. I did my job by asking about the bandaid, if the player tells me that there's not an earring under the bandaid, then I feel that I have fulfilled my duty as an official. Just my opinion, and the opinion of my local interpreter. As usual, when in Rome, check your local listings.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Mar 20, 2013, 04:16pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Agree. If he ends up being a liar with a ripped ear lobe, then so be it. I did my job by asking about the bandaid, if the player tells me that there's not an earring under the bandaid, then I feel that I have fulfilled my duty as an official. Just my opinion, and the opinion of my local interpreter. As usual, when in Rome, check your local listings.
We've been told to check under band aids. Even if it is covered, if it gets ripped out, we may be libel since the rules state no jewelry, and not checking could mean it is our fault.
Old Wed Mar 20, 2013, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
U: So, what is underneath that bandaid? An earring?
P: No, sir. I had an earring last game, hidden under a bandaid - slid into home and it hooked on the catcher's earring hidden under a bandaid, and both of them ripped out. The bandaid is covering my ripped earlobe.
U: Oh, ok. Um - what about the other ear?
P: Uh..... same thing happened 2 games ago?
That's your argument?

Like I said, you go ahead and look the other way. I guess that's how "they" roll down in Houston.
Old Wed Mar 20, 2013, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Don't be so over dramatic. Bandaids over the ears are a blatantly obvious covering for earrings. I'm gonna take care of it so the next officials who work this kids games can't say I was "they". You do what you want and look the other way.
Exactly. The day I see someone tell me it is for anything else, then I'll consider the alternative. Until then, bandaids on the ears mean only one thing....the earrings need to come out or they do not play.
Old Wed Mar 20, 2013, 04:54pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Um ... really? What rule do they use to justify that? (Or is it a special NYS rule?)

There's ZERO chance I'm going to be asking to look under a band-aid of any sort. (In fact, I probably never get in Adam's situation as I would not have asked). They've got a band-aid, I'm assuming it's there for what it's supposed to be for - and there's no way I want to see some kid's open sore (much less make them possibly have to get another new band-aid when they mess up the first one from me asking to see.)
I'm asking the kid because every time I see band-aids where earrings go, it's earrings. Having a matching set makes it even more obvious, IMO. I see it about 3 or 4 times a year (normally in off-season youth ball), and I've never had it be anything but earrings.

I'm not checking under the band-aid (unless I'm instructed to do so by the assigner or state) because of what you state above. I have no desire require the player to open a bandaged wound and possibly need to get a new one.

All I see is a bandage, and if the player tells me it's not covering earrings, I'll go with that. I'd probably have a quick chat with the coach about the dangers of earrings on the court, but I'm not butting in beyond that.

I'll have to check with the MS assigners around here and see how they want that handled in the .0001 chance that a player tells me the band-aids are for something besides earrings.
Old Wed Mar 20, 2013, 05:26pm
Esteemed Participant

Me: Hey, #21, what's under those bandaids on your ears?
21: Nothing. Just some sores.
Me: OK. Let's go double check that with your coach.

Me: Coach, your player here tells me there's nothing under his bandaids. No earrings or anything like that.
Coach: Come on, Steve. I told you not to try to pull that crap. Take them out right now.

OR...

Coach: Yeah, he got attacked by the family cat and got both ears clawed up.

Problem handled. No peeking where I don't want to peek...and the liability is now squarely on the Coach.
Old Wed Mar 20, 2013, 05:34pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
I think this coach knows better. My guess is it was the lady who took his money when he got them pierced over the weekend.
I reply to the complaint about the holes closing up in this fashion: "If they close up in the amount of time it takes to play a game, you need to get your money back."
Old Wed Mar 20, 2013, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

We ask every game, "Coach, are your players properly equipped?"

They always answer "Yes".

No longer my problem if the player lies.
Old Wed Mar 20, 2013, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

I guess we is they
Old Wed Mar 20, 2013, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Me: Hey, #21, what's under those bandaids on your ears?
21: Nothing. Just some sores.
Me: OK. Let's go double check that with your coach.

Me: Coach, your player here tells me there's nothing under his bandaids. No earrings or anything like that.
Coach: Come on, Steve. I told you not to try to pull that crap. Take them out right now.

OR...

Coach: Yeah, he got attacked by the family cat and got both ears clawed up.

Problem handled. No peeking where I don't want to peek...and the liability is now squarely on the Coach.
So simple.

And yet, it took a page and a half to get to it.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Mar 20, 2013, 11:10pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by #olderthanilook View Post
"They" is a close relative of "Idontknow".

Doesn't IDon'tKnow play second base.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Mar 20, 2013, 11:35pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
So simple.

And yet, it took a page and a half to get to it.
Page and a half? That's 150 posts at the maximum setting (I increased the posts allowed per page to 100 recently).
Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 12:39am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
I reply to the complaint about the holes closing up in this fashion: "If they close up in the amount of time it takes to play a game, you need to get your money back."
Had a high school player last summer ask if I was going to pay to get them repierced. "No, and I'm not going to pay to get your ears sewn back together, either."
Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 05:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Um ... really? What rule do they use to justify that? (Or is it a special NYS rule?)

There's ZERO chance I'm going to be asking to look under a bandaid of any sort. (In fact, I probably never get in Adam's situation as I would not have asked). They've got a bandaid, I'm assuming it's there for what it's supposed to be for - and there's no way I want to see some kid's open sore (much less make them possibly have to get another new bandaid when they mess up the first one from me asking to see.)
Here are my marching orders from the NYS Girls Basketball Officials Association:

Ear Lobes Taped
If an official notices that a player has her ear lobes taped, the official will ask the player to remove the tape. If an earring is found, that player cannot enter the game until the player removes the earrings. If you believe that tape on any exposed area might be covering jewelry, then ask the player to remove it, to see if it is covering jewelry.

As far as boys go, I was taught from the time I started officiating in NYC (20+ years) to check if they had band-aids/tape on their ears, especially in summer leagues since they do it more often.

As for how they justify it, not my concern. They give me my certification and this is what they tell me to do, so I do it. It's no big issue for me and I'd just as well not deal with a kid having his/her earlobe ripped in half.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)