Thread: Who Is "They?"
View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 20, 2013, 04:54pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Um ... really? What rule do they use to justify that? (Or is it a special NYS rule?)

There's ZERO chance I'm going to be asking to look under a band-aid of any sort. (In fact, I probably never get in Adam's situation as I would not have asked). They've got a band-aid, I'm assuming it's there for what it's supposed to be for - and there's no way I want to see some kid's open sore (much less make them possibly have to get another new band-aid when they mess up the first one from me asking to see.)
I'm asking the kid because every time I see band-aids where earrings go, it's earrings. Having a matching set makes it even more obvious, IMO. I see it about 3 or 4 times a year (normally in off-season youth ball), and I've never had it be anything but earrings.

I'm not checking under the band-aid (unless I'm instructed to do so by the assigner or state) because of what you state above. I have no desire require the player to open a bandaged wound and possibly need to get a new one.

All I see is a bandage, and if the player tells me it's not covering earrings, I'll go with that. I'd probably have a quick chat with the coach about the dangers of earrings on the court, but I'm not butting in beyond that.

I'll have to check with the MS assigners around here and see how they want that handled in the .0001 chance that a player tells me the band-aids are for something besides earrings.