The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 13, 2013, 02:09pm
Courageous When Prudent

I had a Men's Rec League game years ago where a tall player intentionally hit a much shorter player on top of the head with the ball. I gave him a T.
Old Wed Mar 13, 2013, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Ah... so two pictures from which we can derive exactly nothing. Cool.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Mar 13, 2013, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Ah... so two pictures from which we can derive exactly nothing. Cool.
Picture one shows the relative size of the two players involved for those having trouble believing that the defender would have been knocked down with ball only contact. Force equalling MASS times acceleration and all that.

Second picture was merely to help people picture how the play transpired. Simlilar, but not exact. Sorry I tried to help clarify.
Old Wed Mar 13, 2013, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrot View Post
Picture one shows the relative size of the two players involved for those having trouble believing that the defender would have been knocked down with ball only contact. Force equalling MASS times acceleration and all that.

Second picture was merely to help people picture how the play transpired. Simlilar, but not exact. Sorry I tried to help clarify.
A still picture doesn't show much of anything when you're trying to establish who fouled who or if there was even a foul at all. All it can do is establish that there was contact at that very moment....which is far from enough to determine fault.
Old Wed Mar 13, 2013, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
A still picture doesn't show much of anything when you're trying to establish who fouled who or if there was even a foul at all. All it can do is establish that there was contact at that very moment....which is far from enough to determine fault.
I understand that. That was not my intent. The picture I posted isn't even of the play in question. It's a similar play that involved the same defender. I just thought it might help people who were having trouble visualizing how the play went down. Forget I posted it I guess.
Old Wed Mar 13, 2013, 04:44pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
I understand that. That was not my intent. The picture I posted isn't even of the play in question. It's a similar play that involved the same defender. I just thought it might help people who were having trouble visualizing how the play went down. Forget I posted it I guess.
It's OK parrot...there are some of us who understood what you were trying to do with the two pictures, and aren't total a$$hats about it.
Old Wed Mar 13, 2013, 04:48pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
It's OK parrot...there are some of us who understood what you were trying to do with the two pictures, and aren't total a$$hats about it.
I just snickered out loud.
Old Wed Mar 13, 2013, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I may, or may not, have had that exact word in one of my responses and chose to delete it, or not.
Old Wed Mar 13, 2013, 05:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

I may, or may not, have had that exact word in one of my responses and chose to delete it, or not.
Sometimes discretion is best when you're new. Probably not fair, but....
Old Wed Mar 13, 2013, 05:27pm
NFHS Official

I am pretty sure the defination of a Technical Foul includes the phrase..A non contact foul by a player, and also an intentional or flagrant contact foul while the ball is dead except a foul by an airborne shooter. So since the situation with the offensive player pushing off with the ball isn't a dead ball foul, or a non contact foul, my inclination would to go with a PC foul, or possibly an intentional foul. In my opinion you can't really pass on this. This could fall under the non basketball play and you could get away with the Intentional, but I would probably go with PC.
Old Wed Mar 13, 2013, 05:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
So you are an "whatever lame name you called everyone" because we think a still picture is a silly example to illustrate how someone is or is not fouled?

Wow, I will remember next time to bring a camera to games and show to coaches, "See, that is a foul!"

Peace
Old Wed Mar 13, 2013, 05:39pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
So you are an "whatever lame name you called everyone" because we think a still picture is a silly example to illustrate how someone is or is not fouled?

Wow, I will remember next time to bring a camera to games and show to coaches, "See, that is a foul!"

Peace
No, it's because he was relatively clear that he wasn't trying to prove anything with the pictures except to show two things:

1. The relative size of the players.
2. The way a ball could be used as a means of moving another player.

That's it. To belittle the pictures as a lack of proof of a foul (that didn't even occur on the plays he showed) is similar to complaining that he hasn't yet proven that Christian Laettner traveled on that last shot against Kentucky.
Old Wed Mar 13, 2013, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Peace
That would be a great point if I had ever suggested that that picture - OF A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PLAY BTW, FOR THE THIRD TIME - illustrated "how someone is or is not fouled". I was merely trying to offer a picture of a similar scenario to help people visualize how the play unfolded.
Old Wed Mar 13, 2013, 06:39pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:

Peace
First, a$$hat is most certainly not a "lame name".

Second, I did not call "everyone" an a$$hat. Just the 3 or 4 of you who obviously had problems reading what parrot said when he posted those pictures (and it appears are still having the same reading problems).

Third, parrot specifically said that the pictures were NOT of the play he was originally posting about, so of course they were not examples of whether someone was fouled or not.

Fourth, you have made it abundantly clear over the years here that no one's opinion of you matters to you...so why would you even respond to a post where I (or anyone) call you an a$$hat. After all, it doesn't matter to you...I know, I know...you will be back along shortly to tell me why I am wrong and all that.

Peace.
Old Wed Mar 13, 2013, 06:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
First, a$$hat is most certainly not a "lame name".

Second, I did not call "everyone" an a$$hat. Just the 3 or 4 of you who obviously had problems reading what parrot said when he posted those pictures (and it appears are still having the same reading problems).

Third, parrot specifically said that the pictures were NOT of the play he was originally posting about, so of course they were not examples of whether someone was fouled or not.

Fourth, you have made it abundantly clear over the years here that no one's opinion of you matters to you...so why would you even respond to a post where I (or anyone) call you an a$$hat. After all, it doesn't matter to you...I know, I know...you will be back along shortly to tell me why I am wrong and all that.

Peace.
So I question the validity of a picture being used and that make my opinion the only one that matters? If I recall I am agreeing with others that took a similar position when they questioned the use of the picture. And just because Parrot or anyone says they are not using the picture as an exact example, does not mean that everyone including me has to agree with that take.

BTW, one of the moderators took issue with the picture. I just agree with him that it is a bad form to use and one of the pictures did not even show any contact. If you are wrong that is on you at this point.

Peace