Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 11, 2013, 05:39pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Man Of Conviction ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref3808 View Post
There is no justification for wearing a collegiate jacket at a HS game. Not in the playoffs, not in the regular season, not in a scrimmage. None. Zero.
C'mon ref3808. Don't be so wishy washy. Tell us what you really think.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Mar 11, 2013, 05:45pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
There is no justification for wearing a collegiate jacket at a HS game. Not in the playoffs, not in the regular season, not in a scrimmage. None. Zero.
I don't know that I agree with this, but I do know how it comes across.
Old Tue Mar 12, 2013, 12:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It is just a jacket. If the HS association elects to use it, what is wrong with it...particularly since it can be obtained without the CCA logo.
Old Tue Mar 12, 2013, 01:16am
Official Forum Member

Is the issue at hand here the jacket or the patch on the jacket (because all the jackets seem the same to me with the only difference being the patch).

Like I said earlier it's only big timing IMO if he acts like it.
Old Tue Mar 12, 2013, 01:18am
Get away from me, Steve.

Another thing that's local. Around here I wouldn't even think of wearing my CCA jacket. It's an indicator of someone trying to big-time. So is wearing wide panels for a HS game.

(Not to mention both are specifically forbidden in HS games by the state office.)
Old Tue Mar 12, 2013, 04:27am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
Let's all be honest here. The ONLY reason to wear it is big timing. And you're correct Rocky...any supervisor would probably have a fit if they found one of their assignees wearing one to a HS game.
No, sometimes people would wear those jackets out of pure ignorance. At least that was the case back in the day before they changed the style. You would see a lot of purely lower level officials wearing them.

Peace
Old Tue Mar 12, 2013, 05:43am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
So is wearing wide panels for a HS game.
Agreed.

Our Association told our guys to "knock it off."

And, as has been mentioned, if someone brings the "wrong jacket," we would treat it just as if someone forgot it. None of us would take the court with jackets.
Old Tue Mar 12, 2013, 05:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Another thing that's local. Around here I wouldn't even think of wearing my CCA jacket. It's an indicator of someone trying to big-time. So is wearing wide panels for a HS game.

(Not to mention both are specifically forbidden in HS games by the state office.)
Rich,

Down here, wide panels are allowed IF everyone matches. CCA jackets are allowed to be worn IF everybody has one. If you purchase a jacket, you need to purchase a CCA jacket. So, big timing doesn't become what you are wearing. However, big timing is expressed through the use of TV style mechanics. They are condoned and encouraged.
Old Tue Mar 12, 2013, 06:37am
Official Forum Member

I've been told at camps that the point is a signal to the shot clock operator that possession has changed and the shot clock should be reset.
Old Tue Mar 12, 2013, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerMN View Post
I've been told at camps that the point is a signal to the shot clock operator that possession has changed and the shot clock should be reset.
To the extent that's true, it should be used then only when there's a question about it, not on an obvious reset.

For example, A has posession, loose ball, B bats it / grabs it and throws it, a recovers.

And, there is a signal for that already, and that's not the one they use.
Old Wed Mar 13, 2013, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

How many people at a HS basketball game are going to be able to pick out these kinds of details on a jacket? Outside the officiating crew maybe 1 other guy. Who cares what kind of jacket he or she wears for 15min? Hell I don't even care about a screwy mechanic as long as we are on the same page, and it is conveying information that is valuable. What I do care about is someone who is fit, knowledgeable, and professional. I am 100% Soldier and a NCO in the United States Army. I am all for maintaining and upholding standards (it's what I do). How about the first guy with a smitty, the first pair of beltless pants, the first pair of patent leather shoes, or the pleated pant. I bet all of these guys were big leaguers at one time too. Every mentor you see preaches looking like the guy in the back of the book...a robot. Great advice really, and then you see them work. Awesome officials, but all seem to have something they do that isn't quite mechanically sound. Have some perspective....I can't believe so much venom is being spewed over something so minor. Your hang up with the CCA jacket pointing guy has to go deeper than the acts themselves.

-General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old Wed Mar 13, 2013, 11:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by j51969 View Post
How many people at a HS basketball game are going to be able to pick out these kinds of details on a jacket? Outside the officiating crew maybe 1 other guy. Who cares what kind of jacket he or she wears for 15min?
Well if it is a jacket the organization that authorizes its use does not want it to be worn, then more than 1 official might just notice. I know I would notice as I work college and I never wear that jacket in a HS game and never would. And all it takes is for the right person to see it like and evaluator, a state representative or the assignor and that is all they need. And with games being online, media or some camera phone, that is all it takes. So yes it can matter.

Quote:
Hell I don't even care about a screwy mechanic as long as we are on the same page, and it is conveying information that is valuable. What I do care about is someone who is fit, knowledgeable, and professional. I am 100% Soldier and a NCO in the United States Army. I am all for maintaining and upholding standards (it's what I do). How about the first guy with a smitty, the first pair of beltless pants, the first pair of patent leather shoes, or the pleated pant. I bet all of these guys were big leaguers at one time too. Every mentor you see preaches looking like the guy in the back of the book...a robot. Great advice really, and then you see them work. Awesome officials, but all seem to have something they do that isn't quite mechanically sound. Have some perspective....I can't believe so much venom is being spewed over something so minor. Your hang up with the CCA jacket pointing guy has to go deeper than the acts themselves.
Actually this is a bad comparison on many levels. Shirt with a smitty or pleated pants were not something unique to college or other levels. Heck there were already belt-less pants and pleated were more comfortable and no one cared or noticed if you wore them when they first became popular. Just like no one cared if you wore a V-neck shirt when those came in style. Apples and Star fruit if you ask me.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 14, 2013, 07:30am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
How many people at a HS basketball game are going to be able to pick out these kinds of details on a jacket?
Anyone who matters will be able to pick it out and once they do (in many areas) it's too late.

Depending on the area, the same can be said for people who wear belted pants or side panel shirts.
Old Thu Mar 14, 2013, 07:56am
NFHS Official

Quote:

You guys really can't wear the side panel shirts? For the last 2 years that is all we have worn, I don't think I have seen a guy without one in the last 2 years.
Old Thu Mar 14, 2013, 08:35am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
You guys really can't wear the side panel shirts? For the last 2 years that is all we have worn, I don't think I have seen a guy without one in the last 2 years.
In my local association wide-panel shirts were a no-no under our old commissioner. My out-of-town association allows it as long as the whole crew matches.