The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Pointing Mechanic (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/94323-pointing-mechanic.html)

packersowner Sun Mar 10, 2013 09:34pm

Pointing Mechanic

Saw a mechanic over the weekend at a hs playoff game by a guy that I believe works college ( had his cca jacket on for warmups), he often pointed the other direction after a made bucket. So I have noticed the are a few NCAA guys that do this as well since then. Is this leftover from signaling a two pointer or a college mechanic?

rockyroad Sun Mar 10, 2013 09:46pm

Guy was wearing his CCA jacket at a High School game? Wow.

Not an official mechanic in NFHS or NCAA-W.

deecee Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by packersowner (Post 884071)
Saw a mechanic over the weekend at a hs playoff game by a guy that I believe works college ( had his cca jacket on for warmups), he often pointed the other direction after a made bucket. So I have noticed the are a few NCAA guys that do this as well since then. Is this leftover from signaling a two pointer or a college mechanic?

I do this on the rare occassion there is contact that I think is a flop or not call worthy and the player on the ground looks at me. It's just a reminder to him to get his butt up as his team is one man down on defense.

Adam Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 884075)

Pretty much says it all.

jeschmit Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:54pm

I've done this on a RARE occasion, and it's more for my partners than anything else. If I rotated late, or if I think they didn't recognize my rotation (seeing that they are a very low T), I'll point after a made basket and say their name to make sure they know I'm on their side of the floor.

I know on tape it looks like I'm just pointing, but that's why I do it. No other reason to do it though...

JetMetFan Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 884081)
Pretty much says it all.

Ditto. I remember when I lived in GA ('96-00) the higher-ups in our association got on ALL the college guys about wearing their CCAs to H.S. games. The message was "don't big-time your non-college partners."

deecee Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 884092)
Ditto. I remember when I lived in GA ('96-00) the higher-ups in our association got on ALL the college guys about wearing their CCAs to H.S. games. The message was "don't big-time your non-college partners."

I dont see how a college patch is big timing. If he acted like a jack a$$ then that's different but I personally wouldn't care. I'm just not that sensitive to these issues.

JetMetFan Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 884095)
I dont see how a college patch is big timing. If he acted like a jack a$$ then that's different but I personally wouldn't care. I'm just not that sensitive to these issues.

It's all about perception. It gives the appearance the guy with the CCA patch is automatically better than those without.

deecee Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 884096)
It's all about perception. It gives the appearance the guy with the CCA patch is automatically better than those without.

I get the appearance of perception and what it means to many. I have a hard time getting my hands around a concept that is not real is what it boils down to (plus perception is very arbitrary and subjective). It's just me personally but I always let the person's actions speak for themselves and I can see how some would take offense I personally don't.

And on a side note I would automatically assume a college official is (and should) be a better official that a HS one (practically speaking not always true but this should be the case). Much like how an NBA player would be better than a college player.

Nevadaref Mon Mar 11, 2013 01:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by packersowner (Post 884071)

It is a holdover from the initial implementation of the shot clock. It is simply an indication to the shot clock operator to reset and prepare to start a new shot clock period for the ensuing possession.

Officials used to do this on steals too.

AremRed Mon Mar 11, 2013 01:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 884100)
It is a holdover from the initial implementation of the shot clock. It is simply an indication to the shot clock operator to reset and prepare to start a new shot clock period for the ensuing possession.

Officials used to do this on steals too.

I see this done in college and the NBA on a regular basis. Are you sure it is a holdover? If so, why do many officials do it? I can't see so many high level officials doing a mechanic that is unnecessary.

Adam Mon Mar 11, 2013 01:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanwestref (Post 884102)
I see this done in college and the NBA on a regular basis. Are you sure it is a holdover? If so, why do many officials do it? I can't see so many high level officials doing a mechanic that is unnecessary.

Because 1. They've been officiating a long time. Or 2. They learned under guys who have been doing it a long time.

BillyMac Mon Mar 11, 2013 06:43am

The Sharks And The Jets ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 884096)

I keep thinking about somebody bringing a gun to a knife fight.

Bad Zebra Mon Mar 11, 2013 07:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 884075)

Not an official mechanic in NFHS or NCAA-W.

Probably reports numbers with two hands too.

bob jenkins Mon Mar 11, 2013 07:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 884104)
Because 1. They've been officiating a long time. Or 2. They learned under guys who have been doing it a long time.

Or because (insert big name here) does it and I want people to think I am just as good as (insert big name) and now it's a habit.