The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 07, 2013, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

A few questions

I was curious about a few things.

1) On an OOB throw in if the in-bounder steps onto the court before releasing the ball is this a violation or does the in-bounder have to step completely over the line?

2) Can a time-out be requested by a player in the air falling out of bounds or into the backcourt?

3) My understanding: A player can pivot after a jump if they gathered the ball mid-air but if the player gathered the ball prior to jumping they may not use a pivot after the completion of the jump stop?

4) Traveling related again: How far does a player actually have to roll over with possession of the ball to be considered a travel. I've seen players in college roll over and call a timeout with possession.

5) Does the closely guarded count continue if ANY defender is within 6 ft of the offensive player with the ball.
-Meaning if defender A is closely guarding offensive player A while the closely guarded count is at 3 seconds and then defender B switches over to offensive player A while defender A is no longer closely guarding the offensive player.
Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 12:09am
Keeper of the HAMMER

1. I'm not sure what your question is, but if the thrower touches any inbounds portion of the court while in possession of the ball, it's a violation.

2. Yes (high school).

3. Correct.

4. Most consider 90 degrees to be traveling, but it's up for interpretation. If he's turning to request timeout, he's likely to get the timeout.

5. In high school, as long as the defense has someone within six feet, the count continues.
Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 12:37am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Official View Post
1) On an OOB throw in if the in-bounder steps onto the court before releasing the ball is this a violation or does the in-bounder have to step completely over the line?
The line is out of bounds. You have to step onto the court or not the line to be considered in-bounds.

Quote:
2) Can a time-out be requested by a player in the air falling out of bounds or into the backcourt?
Yes in NF rules. It NCAA rules no you cannot if the issue is going out of bounds. Not sure the rule applies to the backcourt.

Quote:
3) My understanding: A player can pivot after a jump if they gathered the ball mid-air but if the player gathered the ball prior to jumping they may not use a pivot after the completion of the jump stop?
A lot you are asking here. That depends on what you call a jump stop. But if you jump complete a legal jump stop after a dribble being stopped, then yes you cannot use a pivot foot. If you are talking about catching the ball in the air, the first foot or both foot may be used if the right things take place.

Quote:
4) Traveling related again: How far does a player actually have to roll over with possession of the ball to be considered a travel. I've seen players in college roll over and call a timeout with possession.
You cannot roll over while on the floor. It is not a matter of length or timing. But of course you must have possession of the ball. And rolling over would not be by many considered simply turning.

Quote:
5) Does the closely guarded count continue if ANY defender is within 6 ft of the offensive player with the ball.
-Meaning if defender A is closely guarding offensive player A while the closely guarded count is at 3 seconds and then defender B switches over to offensive player A while defender A is no longer closely guarding the offensive player.
It does in NF Rules. NCAA rules require a different count for a different player.

Peace
Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 01:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The line is out of bounds. You have to step onto the court or not the line to be considered in-bounds.

A lot you are asking here. That depends on what you call a jump stop. But if you jump complete a legal jump stop after a dribble being stopped, then yes you cannot use a pivot foot. If you are talking about catching the ball in the air, the first foot or both foot may be used if the right things take place.

You cannot roll over while on the floor. It is not a matter of length or timing. But of course you must have possession of the ball. And rolling over would not be by many considered simply turning.

Peace
For the first question I asked that wrong. If the inbounder steps on the (out of bounds) line and then throws the ball in is this legal? What about stepping completely over the inbounds line and throwing it in?
Thanks for the help.
Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 01:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
For the first question I asked that wrong. If the inbounder steps on the (out of bounds) line and then throws the ball in is this legal? What about stepping completely over the inbounds line and throwing it in?
Thanks for the help.
On the line is legal...if any portion of the foot is touching inbounds, violation.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 01:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks for the help.
If a players in bounds is dribbling the ball and steps on the OOB line then what is that?

So if on an inbounds play the inbounder steps on the line what do you have? You can't have it both ways and have the line be both inbounds AND out of bounds. It's one or the other.
Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 04:51am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Thanks for the help.
Keep in mind many out of bound lines can be rather big and it would make little sense if that line was illegal to step on. Others answered the question properly, but I wanted to make it clear that those lines could be bigger than the minimum requirement the rules allow.

Peace
Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes in NF rules. It NCAA rules no you cannot if the issue is going out of bounds. Not sure the rule applies to the backcourt.
An airborne player cannot be granted a TO in NCAA for OOB or backcourt.
Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 04:18pm
Official Fiveum Member

Question

Quote:
You cannot roll over while on the floor. It is not a matter of length or timing. But of course you must have possession of the ball. And rolling over would not be by many considered simply turning. Peace
What if you dive for a loose ball and your momentum causes you to roll with it?
Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
If a players in bounds is dribbling the ball and steps on the OOB line then what is that?

So if on an inbounds play the inbounder steps on the line what do you have? You can't have it both ways and have the line be both inbounds AND out of bounds. It's one or the other.
It's out of bounds. No one has said differently. The entirety of the line is out of bounds.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Refner View Post
You travelled.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 04:24pm
Official Fiveum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
You travelled.
Yep - I screwed up. You and Rut are right. It's sliding, not rolling, that's allowed by the "momentum situation".
Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
NFHS 4.44.5 SITUATION B:

A1 dives for a loose ball and slides after gaining control. A1 is in a position either on his/her back or stomach. What can A1 do without *violating?

RULING: A1 may pass, shoot, start a dribble or call a time-out. Once A1 has the ball and is no longer sliding, he/she may not roll over. If flat on his/her back, A1 may sit up without violating. Any attempt to get to the feet is *traveling unless A1 is dribbling. It is also traveling if A1 puts the ball on the floor, then rises and is first to touch the ball.

=======================

NCAA A.R. 135. Is it traveling when a player:

(3) Gains control of the ball while sliding on the playing court and then, because of momentum, rolls or slides, after which the player passes or starts a dribble before getting to his or her feet?

RULING:
(3) No. The player may pass, shoot, start a dribble or call a timeout. Once the player has the ball and is no longer sliding, he or she may not roll over. When flat on his or her back, the player may sit up without violating. When the player puts the ball on the floor, then rises and is the first to touch the ball, it also is traveling. When a player rises to his or her feet while holding the ball and moves the pivot foot, it is traveling. When a player falls to one knee while holding the ball, it is traveling if the pivot foot moves.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Legal.

All movements as part of the momentum are legal. Only once momentum has ceased does rolling over become a travel.
Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's out of bounds. No one has said differently. The entirety of the line is out of bounds.
I think deecee was using his question to get the OP to see how to answer the OP's question.

Quote:
You travelled.
Quote:
Yep - I screwed up. You and Rut are right. It's sliding, not rolling, that's allowed by the "momentum situation".
hmm....