The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 08, 2004, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Some of you may have read about my little situation in the Assault on Officials thread.

Just some more backround information and asking for some thoughts on how this was handled.

Home #21, everytime he got the ball, he'd drive right through any defender who was in his way.

After the second time, i started to expect this and watch him do it and call him on it. Now the coaches are complaining that i'm picking on this kid.

But if i know the fouls gonna happen, should i make special attention to watch for it??

Would you pay special attention to it in this situation???

Also, this player tried to draw the player control foul while on defence. But there was no contact and he took a dive. It happened twice in my partner's primary. When the coach irately questioned him on it he responded that there was no contact. I saw the second try, and there was no contact. I'm just wondering whether or not any of you guys have called an unsporting T for taking a dive??? Its one of those rules i've never seen enforced, and i'm just wondering if any of you have enforced it??

[Edited by ref18 on Apr 8th, 2004 at 09:25 PM]
Old Thu Apr 08, 2004, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

You never KNOW when a foul is gonna happen. Just call them when they do happen.

As for the coach, just ignore, until you've had enough. Then tell him, "Coach, that's enough."

As for calling a T because a kid is flopping, don't be a plumber.
Old Thu Apr 08, 2004, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

By the end of that game, we T'd up 2 of 3 assistants. The coach just stood there, we didn't hear anything from him. The problem was one of his assistants was a very prominant high school coach in the area, and he should've had the head coaches spot, and he couldn't understand why we weren't granting his timouts or listning to him complain, that's why he got his T, after about 5 warnings.

Thanks for your response.
Old Thu Apr 08, 2004, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
[BThe problem was one of his assistants [. . .] couldn't understand why we weren't granting his timouts or listning to him complain, that's why he got his T, after about 5 warnings.
[/B]
While it's usually best to just ignore assistants, this is one of those cases where it's best to just quietly say (to him - without showing him up) "Hey, coach, only the head coach can request a timeout."

Of course, I don't know if you did this or not. Even still, after five warnings, he probably deserves the T.
Old Fri Apr 09, 2004, 12:57am
Official Forum Member

I know the best thing to do here is no call on the dive. A Tech is stirring the pot. However, I have come up with a block here. Kinda sends a message to the diver that if everyone is going to see contact, I'm gonna hit the whistle and punish who deserves it.

May not be right but it handles it with out much more being said.
Old Fri Apr 09, 2004, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

I tend to look at the player in the eyes and say "dont you dare take a dive on me again" do you understand! They get the point.

As far as the T's you gave out to the coaches, don't beat yourself up over it, sounds like they needed it.
Old Fri Apr 09, 2004, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
By the end of that game, we T'd up 2 of 3 assistants. The coach just stood there...
You mean, just sat there, don't you?
Old Fri Apr 09, 2004, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TPS2859
I tend to look at the player in the eyes and say "dont you dare take a dive on me again" do you understand! They get the point.

As far as the T's you gave out to the coaches, don't beat yourself up over it, sounds like they needed it.
Sometimes even just the look, usually with one eyebrow appropriately cocked, is enough....they usually know when you've caught them.

When assistant coaches start pushing the envelope, unless it's something really flagrant, my first action is to quietly let the head coach know that he/she needs to get their bench under control. Most of the time, I get either a nod from the coach or a quiet "I'll take care of it" in response. In my experience, that does the trick most of the time - if it doesn't, then you can penalize any further misconduct.

Given that they didn't listen to your warnings, I don't see that you had much choice.
Old Fri Apr 09, 2004, 04:38pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
Also, this player tried to draw the player control foul while on defence. But there was no contact and he took a dive.

I'm just wondering whether or not any of you guys have called an unsporting T for taking a dive??? Its one of those rules i've never seen enforced, and i'm just wondering if any of you have enforced it??

I usually say something to the player like, "Academy Awards were last month." Or, "Save the drama for your mama." Or, "Boy, the floor must be really slippery tonight."

They get the message. It's the same when a player complains they were fouled when the contact was minimal. They hear "Girls played last night". (apologies to Juulie)
Old Fri Apr 09, 2004, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
Also, this player tried to draw the player control foul while on defence. But there was no contact and he took a dive.

I'm just wondering whether or not any of you guys have called an unsporting T for taking a dive??? Its one of those rules i've never seen enforced, and i'm just wondering if any of you have enforced it??

I usually say something to the player like, "Academy Awards were last month." Or, "Save the drama for your mama." Or, "Boy, the floor must be really slippery tonight."

They get the message. It's the same when a player complains they were fouled when the contact was minimal. They hear "Girls played last night". (apologies to Juulie)
I don't think that would've helped. This was the guy to whom I said, "That's 5, your gone" and he didn't seem to take to that very well.
Old Sat Apr 10, 2004, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I don't think that would've helped. This was the guy to whom I said, "That's 5, your gone" and he didn't seem to take to that very well.
You've gotta get used to Mark. He's a great ref, but his advice can be a little, well let's just say it'w worth as much as you pay for it
Old Sat Apr 10, 2004, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

Mark, girls play basketball?
Old Sat Apr 10, 2004, 03:32pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by TravelinMan

Mark, girls play basketball?
Kinda.
Old Sat Apr 10, 2004, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Hey Snaq, when I called in NY they had a separate officials organization for HS girls basketball exclusively. Different looking patch for officials too. Is that unusual or do other states do the same? How about the rest of our forum? What does your state do?
Old Sat Apr 10, 2004, 04:49pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by TravelinMan
Hey Snaq, when I called in NY they had a separate officials organization for HS girls basketball exclusively. Different looking patch for officials too. Is that unusual or do other states do the same? How about the rest of our forum? What does your state do?
Here in Iowa it's the same thing. Two different sanctioning organizations. I was told Iowa is the only state that does that, but I believe Washington state does the same thing.