The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 03, 2013, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

My First Ejection

I'm a first year official just trying to learn. I found this website and I think it's great. I've never had much to contribute but I appreciate the knowledge I gain by reading each of your posts.

My experience level is middle school , AAU and mens league. I have done about 60 games and called two technicals when the kids gave me no choice by cussing.

I had my first ejection today.

Mens league game in the league that allows a lot of chirping. Too much for my personal taste but I'm not there to save the world. My "partner" got mad at me the previous game for calling a jump ball in his area at the 3 point line. I said thanks for the advice and moved on. He's one of these guys who ref's six games a day but you can't tell if he's officiating or running for Mayor. He's too busy giving bro hugs to call a foul. I just want to ask him how much more they would have to pay him to cross half court. Back to the story.

First game was smooth as silk.

Second game in two game set. Second possession of the game. Literally 45 seconds into the game. A fouls B way too hard and I blow my whistle. Biggest guy on the court probably 6'3, 275 yells at the top his lungs "THAT'S TERRIBLE." Whack. That was an easy T everybody in this gym heard you. As we're walking to half court, he says to me "Why did I get a technical?" I finish administering the fouls and said "Because we're here to play basketball, you're not going to yell at me." He said, not yelling but loud enough for everybody to hear, "then get it right." Whack. You're gone.

I thought my partner was going to **** a golden brick.

We shot our free throws and went on. A few guys mumbled some things and that was it. The only thing I clearly heard was something about "this ain't high school."

But the story gets better. My assigner happened to be sitting at the table doing the clock since this was the first round of the playoffs. At halftime, I sat down next to him and asked if the technicals were warranted and he said the second one definitely because you can't say stuff like that but he didn't hear the first. That made me feel better. Then he goes "do you know who that guy is?" I said "no and I don't really care." He said "that's the guy that signs our checks." hahahaha Oops.

I said "I guess I don't get paid this week."

After that start though, you could have heard crickets on that court. I don't know if it was the right decision but I would call it again if happened tomorrow and that's good enough for me. Have a good night.
Old Sun Mar 03, 2013, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

i'm not one for passing out T's "like candy at Halloween", but imho....well done.

remember, you promote what you permit.
Old Sun Mar 03, 2013, 10:40pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Easy call, both times.
Old Sun Mar 03, 2013, 10:42pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-League View Post
I'm a first year official just trying to learn. I found this website and I think it's great. I've never had much to contribute but I appreciate the knowledge I gain by reading each of your posts.

My experience level is middle school , AAU and mens league. I have done about 60 games and called two technicals when the kids gave me no choice by cussing.

I had my first ejection today.

Mens league game in the league that allows a lot of chirping. Too much for my personal taste but I'm not there to save the world. My "partner" got mad at me the previous game for calling a jump ball in his area at the 3 point line. I said thanks for the advice and moved on. He's one of these guys who ref's six games a day but you can't tell if he's officiating or running for Mayor. He's too busy giving bro hugs to call a foul. I just want to ask him how much more they would have to pay him to cross half court. Back to the story.

First game was smooth as silk.

Second game in two game set. Second possession of the game. Literally 45 seconds into the game. A fouls B way too hard and I blow my whistle. Biggest guy on the court probably 6'3, 275 yells at the top his lungs "THAT'S TERRIBLE." Whack. That was an easy T everybody in this gym heard you. As we're walking to half court, he says to me "Why did I get a technical?" I finish administering the fouls and said "Because we're here to play basketball, you're not going to yell at me." He said, not yelling but loud enough for everybody to hear, "then get it right." Whack. You're gone.

I thought my partner was going to **** a golden brick.

We shot our free throws and went on. A few guys mumbled some things and that was it. The only thing I clearly heard was something about "this ain't high school."

But the story gets better. My assigner happened to be sitting at the table doing the clock since this was the first round of the playoffs. At halftime, I sat down next to him and asked if the technicals were warranted and he said the second one definitely because you can't say stuff like that but he didn't hear the first. That made me feel better. Then he goes "do you know who that guy is?" I said "no and I don't really care." He said "that's the guy that signs our checks." hahahaha Oops.

I said "I guess I don't get paid this week."

After that start though, you could have heard crickets on that court. I don't know if it was the right decision but I would call it again if happened tomorrow and that's good enough for me. Have a good night.
I don't have a problem with either Tech. The first one was demonstrative and unsporting toward an official, the second was personal. Just a thought on the second one though: did you get away from him immediately after the first or did you s tick around and shoot the bull and then give him number 2. It is a good rule of thumb to break contact after a T to let everyone calm down so there is less chance of there to be emotion involved.

It appears that the T's served their purpose in making the game run smoothly since there were zero problems the rest of the night.
Old Sun Mar 03, 2013, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
Just a thought on the second one though: did you get away from him immediately after the first or did you s tick around and shoot the bull and then give him number 2.
Sounds to me like the player followed him, determined to be a pain:
Quote:
As we're walking to half court, he says to me "Why did I get a technical?" I finish administering the fouls and said "Because we're here to play basketball, you're not going to yell at me."
Old Sun Mar 03, 2013, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
Just a thought on the second one though: did you get away from him immediately after the first or did you s tick around and shoot the bull and then give him number 2. It is a good rule of thumb to break contact after a T to let everyone calm down so there is less chance of there to be emotion involved.
Good question and one I've already considered. I think so. Rule in that league is technical and your out for the remainder of the half. It's supposed to be a Men's league. The foul occurred in front of his bench. I was in my reporting area administering the fouls. I can't say that we broke contact but he was definitely following me up the court. 15 feet farther than he was going.

Thank you for the responses.
Old Mon Mar 04, 2013, 11:51am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
The only thing I clearly heard was something about "this ain't high school."
"Right - high school players are more mature."
Old Mon Mar 04, 2013, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

...After that start though, you could have heard crickets on that court....
Right there tells me that the T's did their job....
Old Mon Mar 04, 2013, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
A couple of years ago I was called at the last minute to officiate the finals of a men's league...where I had not worked all year. My partner had been officiating the league every week and was "way too familiar" with the players and their trash talk.

After running into a legal screen, one defender screamed something about "the eff-in pick." I gave him a technical...and he told me he was not talking to me but to his teammate. He said "Call out the eff-in pick." No matter...he gets the T either way.

Bottom line...not one problem the rest of the game. The league director was stunned. He said he had never seen them behave.

Game management matters...at every level.
Old Mon Mar 04, 2013, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStateRef View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-League

A couple of years ago I was called at the last minute to officiate the finals of a men's league...where I had not worked all year. My partner had been officiating the league every week and was "way too familiar" with the players and their trash talk.

After running into a legal screen, one defender screamed something about "the eff-in pick." I gave him a technical...and he told me he was not talking to me but to his teammate. He said "Call out the eff-in pick." No matter...he gets the T either way.

Bottom line...not one problem the rest of the game. The league director was stunned. He said he had never seen them behave.

Game management matters...at every level.
Not saying your T wasn't warranted...but in a men's rec league, if one were to say "call out the eff-in pick" I wouldn't even bat an eye to that (assuming no directives given).

Now what I gather from your description is the player was pissed off about the legality of the screen, said something, then tried to come up with a weak explanation for what he said.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Mar 04, 2013, 01:24pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
Not saying your T wasn't warranted...but in a men's rec league, if one were to say "call out the eff-in pick" I wouldn't even bat an eye to that (assuming no directives given).

Now what I gather from your description is the player was pissed off about the legality of the screen, said something, then tried to come up with a weak explanation for what he said.
I agree, but I'll add that if it's hard to tell whom the player is screaming at, I'm defaulting to the T.
Old Mon Mar 04, 2013, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I agree, but I'll add that if it's hard to tell whom the player is screaming at, I'm defaulting to the T.
I thought he was yelling at me that it was an illegal screen. He told me after I called the T that he was yelling at his teammates and told me what he said (and I believed him). Even if I clearly heard everything the first time, I would have called the T. This was a full roar for everyone in the gym to hear.

I work another men's league regularly. We don't allow that word at all. The players know it...and have accepted it. It creates a better environment to play basketball.
Old Mon Mar 04, 2013, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I thought he was yelling at me that it was an illegal screen. He told me after I called the T that he was yelling at his teammates and told me what he said (and I believed him). Even if I clearly heard everything the first time, I would have called the T. This was a full roar for everyone in the gym to hear.

I work another men's league regularly. We don't allow that word at all. The players know it...and have accepted it. It creates a better environment to play basketball.
If that's the league's directive, then by all means, you're doing the right thing. I would dispute the point that penalizing this talk amongst teammates makes for a better environment...as least as far as it relates to me and my duties. But that's just my opinion.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Mar 04, 2013, 01:59pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

I don't work a lot of men's leagues anymore (2 or 3 games a year), and I would call them as APG suggested. That said, I would personally prefer a league like yours. The expectations are already established.
Old Mon Mar 04, 2013, 02:00pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
If that's the league's directive, then by all means, you're doing the right thing. I would dispute the point that penalizing this talk amongst teammates makes for a better environment...as least as far as it relates to me and my duties. But that's just my opinion.
I don't know. Zero tolerance isn't my favorite thing, but it sure makes administration easier.