The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 22, 2013, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Pregame conferences: Captains and Coaches

I'm looking for thoughts on Captains and Coaches pregames. (Captains and Coaches... sounds like a cereal, eh?)

For my Captains' meeting I usually go with "Good evening fellas/ladies. (I then introduce my partner and myself) Let's make sure we're pursuing victory with honor. It's real important that white talks to white and blue talks to blue. Any questions? Have a great game and good luck."

What I avoid:
"I'm so and so, this is my partner, so and so and we'll be your referees tonight." I bite the inside of my cheek when my partners say that lest I bust out laughing thinking of all the smart ash things that could be said in response...
"Help us out with the balls that go out of bounds, etc."
"Let's watch out for the hand checking."
"You're the speaking captains, so we'll listen to you."
"Are your teammates properly equipped?"

For my Coaches' meetings... I introduce my partner and myself then ask if players are properly equipped. I remind them of the coach's box and ask them to make sure they're pursuing victory with honor. I finish with "Any questions? Good luck." A handshake and out.

I don't like the "Help us out with the timeouts, thirty or full." Nor do I like the "We'll be happy to answer any questions during the game."

Anything I should add or subtract for either? Why?

Thanks.
Old Fri Feb 22, 2013, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

I like to keep it VERY short and simple. Say hello, have them introduce themselves to each other, ask for their help if they see a teammate getting a little excited ("It's a LOT easier if you deal with it than if we do"), ask if they have any questions, and wish them luck.

None of that "who's the speaking captain?" nonsense. Speaking for what? There's no coin flip. No extraneous stuff. Let's just get going.

And another thing, I don't like telling them my first name. They're high school or junior high kids - it's not a meeting of equals. Maybe that's just me, but I prefer at least a little formality.

One of my partners that I had a few times was pretty much like this:

"Ok, we've got a white (or black or whatever) line all around - that's the out of bounds line. We have a center line right here [no sh##, we're standing right on it]. If the ball hits the wires or supports above the basket we're going to blow it dead. Now we want you to play with your feet, not your hands. We'll try and talk you out of stuff. Make sure you hustle in and out of timeouts. Ok, who's the speaking captain? Can you raise up your warmup jacket so I can see your number? Ok. You've been selected as captains for a reason, so we'll look to you for leadership. We want good sportsmanship tonight and your teammates and your coaches are looking for you to lead the way. Listen for the whistle and make sure to hand the ball to us. Are there any questions? Ok, shake hands one more time and good luck."

HOLY HELL DUDE! You could often see the kids rolling their eyes. Inside, mine were too.
Old Fri Feb 22, 2013, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rooster View Post
I'm looking for thoughts on Captains and Coaches pregames. (Captains and Coaches... sounds like a cereal, eh?)

For my Captains' meeting I usually go with "Good evening fellas/ladies. (I then introduce my partner and myself) Let's make sure we're pursuing victory with honor. It's real important that white talks to white and blue talks to blue. Any questions? Have a great game and good luck."

What I avoid:
"I'm so and so, this is my partner, so and so and we'll be your referees tonight." I bite the inside of my cheek when my partners say that lest I bust out laughing thinking of all the smart ash things that could be said in response...
"Help us out with the balls that go out of bounds, etc."
"Let's watch out for the hand checking."
"You're the speaking captains, so we'll listen to you."
"Are your teammates properly equipped?"

For my Coaches' meetings... I introduce my partner and myself then ask if players are properly equipped. I remind them of the coach's box and ask them to make sure they're pursuing victory with honor. I finish with "Any questions? Good luck." A handshake and out.

I don't like the "Help us out with the timeouts, thirty or full." Nor do I like the "We'll be happy to answer any questions during the game."

Anything I should add or subtract for either? Why?

Thanks.
I don't have a problem with introducing the crew. After all, the players just introduced themselves to each other.

How is reminding coaches about the coaching box any different than telling the players, "Let's watch out for the hand checking"?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Feb 22, 2013, 11:33pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Captains: Take care of your knuckleheads so we don't have to.

It's shorter than the brief intros.

Coaches: All your players are legally equipped? Let us know on timeouts, and have them out and ready on the second horn. Questions? Good luck.
Old Fri Feb 22, 2013, 11:54pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I use my first name with players. Formality, schmormality.
Old Fri Feb 22, 2013, 11:57pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

"Respect each other, respect us, respect the game. Any questions?"

/Stolen
Old Sat Feb 23, 2013, 12:29am
NFHS Official

My speech.

"Coaches, is everyone legally dressed? Guys/girls play with good sportsmanship. Red take of your team, white take care of your team. Come to the X to report in, don't come in until we bring up in. Be ready to play on the second horn. Good luck.

We've been directed by our state association that asking the coaches if they are legal is a must do. When they say yes, any questions about the legality of shooting sleeves etc, have been addressed.
Old Sat Feb 23, 2013, 12:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post

How is reminding coaches about the coaching box any different than telling the players, "Let's watch out for the hand checking"?
It may not be but that's what I've been told to say by my assigner. I'm a company man. I'm only only guessing but maybe it's so we can say we've warned 'em if they're out of it.
Old Sat Feb 23, 2013, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rooster View Post
It may not be but that's what I've been told to say by my assigner. I'm a company man. I'm only only guessing but maybe it's so we can say we've warned 'em if they're out of it.
OK. But why warn them for something that may not happen?

I agree that talking about hand checking or anything else is inappropriate. But so is this.

Personally, I don't address the box unless it's not marked, the benches are not in the normal position which means the coach may need to sit somewhere other than normal or there's something else unusual.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Sat Feb 23, 2013 at 04:59pm.
Old Sat Feb 23, 2013, 10:20am
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Personally, I don't address the box unless it's not marked...
Yeah, but if that is what the leadership in your organization want you to do there is value in doing it even if it is stupid / pointless. That is, if you want to work games
Old Sat Feb 23, 2013, 10:37am
Esteemed Forum Member

Coaches And Captains ...

From my pregame:

Coaches and captains meeting at 5:00: Players properly equipped, Players wearing uniforms properly, Practice good sportsmanship.

From my hard drive:

The National High School Federation and your state association require officials to enforce sportsmanship rules. High school athletics emphasize positive values. All of us have worked hard to create a sense of teamwork, respect, responsibility and perspective. We remind you that we expect good behavior and will quickly penalize misconduct. We encourage and appreciate your help. Let the competition reflect mutual respect among participants and officials. Coaches please certify that your players are legally equipped and uniformed according the NFHS rules. Good luck and have a great contest! (New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, Kentucky High School Athletic Association)

"PIAA requires all registered sports' officials to enforce the sportsmanship rules for coaches and contestants. Actions meant to demean opposing contestants, teams, spectators and officials are not in the highest ideals of interscholastic education and will not be tolerated. Let today's contest reflect mutual respect. Coaches please certify to the contest official(s) that your players are legally equipped and uniformed according to NFHS rules and PIAA adoptions. Good luck in today's contest." (Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association)

To captains: The FHSAA requires officials to enforce all rules regarding unsportsmanlike conduct by players and coaches. Violators will be ejected. It is strongly suggested that you remind your teammates and coaches of this policy. Additionally, this is a simple reminder that jewelry is not allowed, and jerseys must be tucked in during play if they are designed to be worn in. To coaches: Coaches, do you certify that your players are properly equipped and will demonstrate sportsmanlike behavior during today’s contest? (Florida High School Activities Association)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Feb 23, 2013, 12:39pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
We are instructed to address a few minor items with captains and coaches. Properly equipped & sportsmanship with the coaches, for instance. Sportsmanship cuts a wide swath such as coaching boxes, so the only thing I might address outside of the norm is court quirks.
Old Sat Feb 23, 2013, 01:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Yeah, but if that is what the leadership in your organization want you to do there is value in doing it even if it is stupid / pointless. That is, if you want to work games
Like shaving?
Old Sat Feb 23, 2013, 01:24pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Billy, you discuss Florida and Pennsylvania scholastic policies prior to your Connecticut games? Any captains have seizures from excessive eye rolling?
Old Sat Feb 23, 2013, 01:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I don't have a problem with introducing the crew. After all, the players just introduced themselves to each other.

We can call multiple fouls for hand-checking. Coaching box infractions are technicals. Since they make a big deal about the coaching box (do not get me started) in my state, I also address the box so that when I tell them to get back into the box, they were told previously.

Peace