The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 17, 2007, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

Pregame conferences

Would like your opinions on whether HS subvarsity officials should hold a pregame conference with the coaches. If so, please describe the benefits of doing so.

Should we also check, sign the book? What's entailed in this process?

Also, what do you say to the clock operator/table personnel prior to a game?

Thanks for your help!
Old Sat Nov 17, 2007, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, at every level the official should greet the coaches. At the subvarsity level, this early on can help establish rapport and the authority of the officials (which many subvarsity coaches tend to forget about). In fact, I don't see any reason why the officials should avoid the coaches greeting. Just be brief, polite and get outta there, no rules clinics or reunions.
Old Sat Nov 17, 2007, 09:01pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
You don't want it to be a new experience when you get to the varsity level.
Old Sat Nov 17, 2007, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

I do it at every game. No matter if it is a Freshmen, JV, or varsity contest.

We meet with the captains and coaches separately.
Old Sun Nov 18, 2007, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

It's Preventative as Well

I have done a lot of games, rec, youth, sub-varsity high school, and varsity high school, and I can pretty much say the only times I have really had any issues with coaches has been when we were in "too much of a hurry" to get the game going and didn't have a brief "coaches conference" to remind the coaches of the Number 1 rule.... Sportsmanship!

Always, have a conference, even if it's brief, talk to the coaches, and remind them of Rule No. 1...sportsmanship. It will not guarantee a painless game, but it can go a long way.
Old Sun Nov 18, 2007, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan74
If it's an "experienced" crew, I don't say much. Early in the year I'll remind them of new timing rules and horns. I ask if they've had anything "unusual" this year. If the answer is "no", I tell them, "Let's keep it that way for another night."

If it's an inexperienced crew (and / or kids), I tell tehm that the running score is the most important thing. If they forget who scored teh basket, put my name at the bottom of the roster and give the points to me ("I have a bonus clause in my contract and I need the points.") Be sure to look at us when we report fouls ("We might change our mind between the time we blow the whistle and the time we report at the table.") When in doubt, keep the clock running.
Old Sun Nov 18, 2007, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
I do it at every game. No matter if it is a Freshmen, JV, or varsity contest.

We meet with the captains and coaches separately.
I agree, during the regular season you should always hold a conference. I meet with the captains and coaches at the same time. Even during the off season, I meet with the coaches only during all games.
Old Sun Nov 18, 2007, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
If they forget who scored teh basket, put my name at the bottom of the roster and give the points to me ("I have a bonus clause in my contract and I need the points.")
That's beautiful Bob
Old Sun Nov 18, 2007, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

As I was in my first year last season, I normally followed my partners lead when it came to deciding who would ref a particular game and whether we'd meet w/the coaches. I only had one JV game where my partner wanted to pregame w/the coaches.

I had a couple parnters tell me before the game that their primary goal was to get their checks and get out. Given their gruff personalities, I couldn't see asking them if they wanted to meet with the coaches, as it seemed it was an inconvenience for them just to be there. Some of my toughest games came when working with these two.

This year I'll discuss it when pregaming w/my partner and may have to just do it on my own when working with officials who seem not to give a hoot.
Old Sun Nov 18, 2007, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
When in doubt, keep the clock running.
Hear, hear!

(From both the rules and practicality points of view.)
Old Sun Nov 18, 2007, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As I was in my first year last season, I normally followed my partners lead when it came to deciding who would ref a particular game and whether we'd meet w/the coaches. I only had one JV game where my partner wanted to pregame w/the coaches.

I had a couple parnters tell me before the game that their primary goal was to get their checks and get out. Given their gruff personalities, I couldn't see asking them if they wanted to meet with the coaches, as it seemed it was an inconvenience for them just to be there. Some of my toughest games came when working with these two.

This year I'll discuss it when pregaming w/my partner and may have to just do it on my own when working with officials who seem not to give a hoot.
Dan, just a suggestion that I found worked well when I was just starting out - in situations like the one you described where you're working with "get the check, get out" types who wouldn't want to bother with pre-games, just tell them you're working on your total game, and if they don't mind you'd like to take the pre-game and chat with the coaches and captains. Tell them if they'd like to be involved and give you some pointers (you can decide how much credence to give their thoughts afterwards) they're welcome, but if they'd rather not that's fine too.

You'll project a great confidence to the JV coaches (they like their games being treated as "real", too) and your partners will have to be real a-holes to object to you doing the pregame.

Good luck!
Old Sun Nov 18, 2007, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

I wish I could remember who told me this but I use it a lot to break the ice.

After meeting with the captain's, if I am the "R" and doing the talking, in sub varsity games, the last thing I say is, "Remember, if you hang on the rim after a dunk, it's a technical foul, other than that go out and have a lot of fun!" they get a laugh out of it and that's my goal.

The game should be fun for them.
Old Sun Nov 18, 2007, 12:54pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Lightbulb

The main reason to meet with coaches before the game starts is to ask them if they want to buy foul insurance. I put three kids through college that way.
Old Sun Nov 18, 2007, 01:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Would like your opinions on whether HS subvarsity officials should hold a pregame conference with the coaches. If so, please describe the benefits of doing so.
I usually do one if there is enough time to do one and I am the Referee on the game. It is required in my state at all contests so that is my main motivation for doing them.

Quote:
Should we also check, sign the book? What's entailed in this process?
I would check the book and sign it, but I likely would not expect the same things as what you have during a varsity contest. Often times the books are not ready before the 10 minute mark if we have a clear 10 minutes before the game on the clock. I check it before the game mainly to not have surprises come up later.

Quote:
I just simply talk about what I expect and I emphasize the most "Do not put anything into that book until we report it." Usually this is more informal during lower level games because the varsity player is running the table rather than an adult that might actually have a better understanding of what they are supposed to do.

Peace
Old Sun Nov 18, 2007, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

I'm short and sweet

Is everything legal and will expect sportmanship from all sides.

So this is what it sounds like to teha other coaches and players

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah