The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 17, 2005, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

We are going to be working a game this week that may be the biggest game in the state. It is a district championship game and the winner may eventually be the state champ in their division. Both teams are very intense and aggressive. However, one is on the side of dirty/cheap with lots of shots away from the ball or right at the pile if they can catch someone not looking or pulling up. We've had these guys before and usually get them early for the shots at the pile. Once they get the game under control they usually calm down a bit and we don't see it anymore.

What's the best way to handle this in a pregame conference with a coach that has a huge chip without making it sound like we will going to be watching out for it?
Old Mon Oct 17, 2005, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Tell the coaches that you expect the game to play with sportsmanship in mind. Also tell his captains and ask them to convey that message to their team. Don't give any explicit warnings or you may give the coach reason to suspect that you've gotten it in for his team before the opening kickoff.
Old Mon Oct 17, 2005, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Waltjp's advice is perfect. I would only add that the crew must be very vocal and present at the pile after every play to let the players know that you're there and you are watching. Talk to them early, create awareness and a relationship with them, and you'll be able to prevent problems later.
Old Mon Oct 17, 2005, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

I would also add in your pre-game to be good dead ball officialsÂ…this includes the sidelines. Have your wings covering OOB with their back to the fieldÂ…Back Judge and R should be there as well (they better!).
Old Tue Oct 18, 2005, 05:53am
Official Forum Member

In my meeting with captains, I do the usual sportsmanship speech and also I tell them to make it positive by helping each other up off the pile, etc. A good umpire will have a continuing chatter with the linemen, telling them the same thing and encouraging them. My umpire will always tell them to not hit the snapper and we have never had a problem with that. Keep the chatter going with the teams.