The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 21, 2013, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Duke/VT Kick?

9:25 1st. Duke player on the floor and pulls the ball toward himself with his feet. I've called this Violation 4-5 times this year in V Games. Yet time and time again I see the D1 guys passing on this and it ultimately becomes a Jump Ball. Am I missing something?
Old Thu Feb 21, 2013, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Nope, you're not missing anything. They are.
Old Thu Feb 21, 2013, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

I think they missed a push which is why the Duke player was on the floor in the first place!
Old Fri Feb 22, 2013, 07:48am
Official Forum Member

I hope to post it whenever I get home but I just watched it and...wow. Why didn't he just dribble the ball with his feet, too?
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Fri Feb 22, 2013, 08:17am
I miss being on the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
I hope to post it whenever I get home but I just watched it and...wow. Why didn't he just dribble the ball with his feet, too?
He would if this were soccer!
Old Fri Feb 22, 2013, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Smile Fodder for Coaches

I can envision that same play happening tonight and I call kick. Coach says "That's not a kick it happened last night in Duke game and it was a no call"
Sorry Coach I'm not a D1 official
Old Fri Feb 22, 2013, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Plenty more from that game tape

Coach K has his standard answer when asked why other teams and programs have so much envy or dislike of Duke, by saying "well, we've won so much", to which I say, "no you keep getting questionable calls". Besides the kick in the OP, I offer:

1) PCF on VT player at about 9:20 first half

2) About 3 min later in a very similar play on other end, block on VT

Now, obviously this had nothing to do with the games outcome (Duke would have been better off staying in Durham and having an intersquad scrimmage), and I may very well be wrong on these, but with only one replay via tv after each play, it sure looked bad. I have not looked back at it this morning, and cannot post a video, but perhaps if JMF is finding the possible foot violation, he can get these "kicks" too
Old Fri Feb 22, 2013, 10:07am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triad zebra View Post
I can envision that same play happening tonight and I call kick. Coach says "That's not a kick it happened last night in Duke game and it was a no call"
Sorry Coach I'm not a D1 official
I have watched games at the HS level where that was not called. Actually I see it not called often in games I am not associated with at all. Again, let us not act like HS officials are so competent and pure.

Peace
Old Fri Feb 22, 2013, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by letemplay View Post
Coach K has his standard answer when asked why other teams and programs have so much envy or dislike of Duke, by saying "well, we've won so much", to which I say, "no you keep getting questionable calls". Besides the kick in the OP, I offer:

Now, obviously this had nothing to do with the games outcome (Duke would have been better off staying in Durham and having an intersquad scrimmage), and I may very well be wrong on these, but with only one replay via tv after each play, it sure looked bad. I have not looked back at it this morning, and cannot post a video, but perhaps if JMF is finding the possible foot violation, he can get these "kicks" too

So are you saying that Duke over time has benefited from some active conspiracy to give them favorable calls? That's ridiculous and ludicrous on its face. I think it's just people don't like Duke and remember the calls that go for them - justified or not - and conveniently don't remember or even acknowledge the calls that go against them.
Old Fri Feb 22, 2013, 10:08am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

So 3 calls that went their way in a 32 point blow out are indicative that all of Duke's success over the years is the result of favorable officiating?
Old Fri Feb 22, 2013, 10:13am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrounge View Post
So are you saying that Duke over time has benefited from some active conspiracy to give them favorable calls? That's ridiculous and ludicrous on its face. I think it's just people don't like Duke and remember the calls that go for them - justified or not - and conveniently don't remember or even acknowledge the calls that go against them.
Not a Duke fan and I feel +1000

Peace
Old Fri Feb 22, 2013, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
So 3 calls that went their way in a 32 point blow out are indicative that all of Duke's success over the years is the result of favorable officiating?
NO, not at all...I see Duke's success due to they are generally really good, with very good players and coaches. A little overrated nationally usually, but an outstanding program. I didnt use the word "conspiracy", and I am not thinking along those lines, never have. I just want to see the plays again. If they turn out like I'm saying, it's only fodder for those that will say: Well, that's Duke.
Old Fri Feb 22, 2013, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Coach K has his standard answer when asked why other teams and programs have so much envy or dislike of Duke, by saying "well, we've won so much", to which I say, "no you keep getting questionable calls".
Quote:
NO, not at all...I see Duke's success due to they are generally really good, with very good players and coaches. A little overrated nationally usually, but an outstanding program. I didnt use the word "conspiracy", and I am not thinking along those lines, never have. I just want to see the plays again. If they turn out like I'm saying, it's only fodder for those that will say: Well, that's Duke.
For a guy that wasn't using the word "conspiracy,' your post looks, smells, and acts as one. If you have questions about plays, talk about the plays...don't opine about your perceptions of one team/player always "getting questionable calls."
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Feb 22, 2013, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Letemplay,

Go get them. I think you are welcome to your opinion. When I see them play my beloved Yellow Jackets, they get every call. Phuch Duke!
Old Fri Feb 22, 2013, 01:55pm
Archaic Power Monger

Enough questioning the integrity of officials.