The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 21, 2013, 01:03pm
Huck Finn

Unfortunately, this is a problem in Nevada and California at the high school and college level. It is an 100% chance that I will at least have to ask:

Question: Are those leg sleeves or tights?
Answer: Leg sleeves.
Question: Let me see the top? (meaning the top of the sleeve)

At that point they either show me the top of the sleeve or they are told to go remove them. I had one high school kid tell me they were sleeves and when I asked him to show me the top he reached up to his waistband! Another player from a college I had four times this year told me he had been wearing them all year. I told him he had not because I had them three times before that game. That was the quickest 30 minutes before a game ever because I had to deal with this crap the whole time with multiple players.

I think two things:
1. If the players want the look they can wear gear to get the same look.
2. The easiest way to get players to stop wearing these things is to make them legal.
Old Thu Feb 21, 2013, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I think they put so much on their legs, it is really hard to tell anymore. I honestly do not know why we should have to look for this stuff. This has so many uncomfortable situations this puts us in if we check for these things. I can only imagine what it is like when girls are involved. The NF really needs to get out of this business. This to me is like socks, who cares?

Peace
I had a kid a couple of weeks ago wearing high socks, knee pads, and some sort of tights/compression thing.

It looked like full length tights to me so I explained to him that he couldn't wear anything that extended below the shorts. After some back and forth about exactly what he was wearing I decided to let it go b/c it wasnt worth 30 seconds of my life talking to a teenager about what he was wearing to play basketball.

I did inform his coach of the rule but told him we weren't sure about what he was wearing so we were letting him play with it tonight. Coach responds, "that's my son and I'm so pissed at him for having all of that crap on in the first place."

Over the last two seasons I've had several players remove what were clearly tights. But kids, emulating what they see in the NBA, put on so much crap now, that I really don't go looking to play fashion police unless it's obvious.

And I agree with others that this rule needs to be updated. I can see the point of not allowing baggy clothing under shorts but with all of the compression type gear out now I don't see the problem with allowing tights if that's what silly kids want to wear these days.
Old Thu Feb 21, 2013, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think they put so much on their legs, it is really hard to tell anymore. I honestly do not know why we should have to look for this stuff. This has so many uncomfortable situations this puts us in if we check for these things. I can only imagine what it is like when girls are involved. The NF really needs to get out of this business. This to me is like socks, who cares?

Peace
For me with guys (NFHS) I just ask, they show me and that's it. For the arm sleeves I'll ask at the pre-game meeting ("Coach, is so-and-so wearing that for medical reasons?"). I've had a few say "no," probably because they're sick of their kids wearing the stuff.

With girls (NCAAW, actual or modified) I don't have to ask about the arm sleeves, thank goodness. Since anything on their legs that extends below the shorts needs a waiver I only have to deal with the head coach...again, thank goodness.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Thu Feb 21, 2013, 02:54pm
Do not give a damn!!

Often times these are things not noticed until the game starts. Most teams have warm ups that cover their bodies and you only notice a problem when they get ready to play. That is just the unfortunate part of trying to enforce these rules, we find out (at least here) way too late. Then when we have to address the issue, it could delay the game or take out a player that should be playing. I really wish the NF would just let this stuff go. Does it really change how these kids play?

Peace
Old Thu Feb 21, 2013, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Our direction this year on arm sleeves was to assume they were for medical reasons unless you knew otherwise....and no need to go asking to find the otherwise.
Old Thu Feb 21, 2013, 03:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrounge View Post
Our direction this year on arm sleeves was to assume they were for medical reasons unless you knew otherwise....and no need to go asking to find the otherwise.
That has been our policy in this state. But we still have people that insist on asking. Wwwwhhhyyyyyy??

Peace
Old Thu Feb 21, 2013, 05:57pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Great Idea ...

Quote:
I really wish the NF would just let this stuff go.
Agree. Anything below the waist, if it's not a safety issue, i.e. sharp edge on a knee brace; or if it's not an illegal advantage, i.e. pogo stick sneakers, should be none of our business. Shorts, compression shorts, leg sleeves, tights, socks, and shoes, should not fall under the illegal equipment rule.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Feb 21, 2013, 06:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Twenty Questions ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
Question: Are those leg sleeves or tights?
Answer: Leg sleeves.
Question: Let me see the top?
I'm stopping after the answer, "Leg sleeves". If they want to lie, fine, let 'em lie. Good luck asking the second question in a girls game. Call me if you need money for bail.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)