The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Full Length Tights (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/94112-full-length-tights.html)

rickman5 Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:27am

Full Length Tights

I absolutely HATE playing fashion police, but I've seen more and more players wear the full length tights under their shorts and were permitted to wear them throughout the game. How has everyone handled this? Here is what 3-5-7 says:

ART.7... Compression shorts/tights shall be a single solid color similar to the predominant color of the pants/skirt; the length shall be above the knee. Undergarments shall not extend below the pants/skirt.

Does this only apply to shorts or are full length tights that start at the waist and end under the foot an exception?

Bad Zebra Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickman5 (Post 880594)
I absolutely HATE playing fashion police, but I've seen more and more players wear the full length tights under their shorts and were permitted to wear them throughout the game. How has everyone handled this? Here is what 3-5-7 says:

ART.7... Compression shorts/tights shall be a single solid color similar to the predominant color of the pants/skirt; the length shall be above the knee. Undergarments shall not extend below the pants/skirt.

Does this only apply to shorts or are full length tights that start at the waist and end under the foot an exception?

The rule is pretty clear. I asked a player to remove them last week in a boys varsity game. He left the gym, removed them and nobody else said a word. My guess is that players are wearing them (for God knows what reason) with the knowledge that some officials will let it slide, while some will not.

bob jenkins Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:45am

I make them take them off. I agree that the increasing use is why it's a question on the NFHS survey.

Rich Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:51am

If I can't tell with a quick look, then they're really long socks.

rickman5 Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 880601)
If I can't tell with a quick look, then they're really long socks.

Yeah it's hard to distinguish between the two a lot of the time

Wellmer Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:03am

We talked about this last night, as far as T Shirts under the jersey, can long sleeves be worn? The only thing I found in the rule book was that the sleeves had to be the same length? Anyone have a rule reference?

Welpe Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wellmer (Post 880609)
The only thing I found in the rule book was that the sleeves had to be the same length? Anyone have a rule reference?

That's all there is about sleeve length. Long sleeve shirts are legal.

Wellmer Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:17am

That's what we went with since we couldn't find anything telling us otherwise.

Welpe Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:21am

A good tenet to follow with NFHS rules is that which isn't illegal, is legal.

Freddy Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:28am

I Hate Being Fashion Police, Too

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra (Post 880597)
The rule is pretty clear. I asked a player to remove them last week in a boys varsity game. He left the gym, removed them and nobody else said a word. My guess is that players are wearing them (for God knows what reason) with the knowledge that some officials will let it slide, while some will not.

Ditto for me last week. Easy to take care of. No debate or arguments. The coach, in fact, said to the one kid, "See, I told you..."

Next time they say, "But we wore them last game and the officials didn't say anything", Go to the book to see who the officials were and contact them to ask why, if they indeed ignored it, decided to pass the problem along to you. :rolleyes:

It's funny how this stuff always seems to get cleaned up in the first round of the post-season state tourney. That's because most know that if they allow some stupid fashion police infraction they might not fare too well in the next state tourney officials' selection process.

egj13 Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:31am

I have only see one player wearing the tights...it wasn't in a game I was calling but I do have that team this Friday night. He was out several games with knee issues and when he returned he was wearing them so I don't know if they are for medical or not. I will ask the coach and my partners on Friday though and knowing the coach he will flip a lid.

OKREF Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:35am

I have seen them in probably half the games I have had. Kids see Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook wearing them and just have to wear them also.

Camron Rust Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:36am

This inconsistency is just silly...

Arms: any length sleeve OK. Compression sleeve OK only if it is medically approved and only a permitted color (and matching).

Legs: Only leg lengths shorter than the shorts OK, Compression sleeves unregulated, any length, any color, no matching requirements.

Why the differences????

I think they should be consistent and make them all legal (any length tights/undershirts, compression sleeves OK too) but keep some color requirements....but not necessarily entirely matching.

grunewar Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:36am

Trend?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 880615)
Long sleeve shirts are legal.

I had this a couple of times this year.

Now, I can think of a few reasons why someone would wear this (skin condition mostly), but overall, probably just like a sleeve - look at me!

Rich Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 880638)
I had this a couple of times this year.

Now, I can think of a few reasons why someone would wear this (skin condition mostly), but overall, probably just like a sleeve - look at me!

Or he/she could be covering up tattoos. (Could be a condition the coach put on the player.)