OK, I'll bite. . .

Why is it not a try?
Old Wed Feb 20, 2013, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
Why is it not a try?
What's the definition of a try?
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Feb 20, 2013, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Colour blind

Oh, my gosh! That's what I get for staying-up/getting-up so late!
Old Thu Feb 21, 2013, 12:11am
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
This play triggered a disappointing discussion for me locally.
Care to elaborate?
Old Thu Feb 21, 2013, 01:57am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Not publicly.
Old Thu Feb 21, 2013, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

I see the definition of try 4-41-2, but if you look at scoring 5-2-2 and 5-2-3 then it would count. A1 gets the shot off before the shot clock violation then B1 rebounds and puts it back in...basket counts.

What is the difference A1 shoots and misses then B1 trys to rebound but taps it in his own goal. Do you wave off the basket or count it?
Old Thu Feb 21, 2013, 12:47pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdd1172 View Post
I see the definition of try 4-41-2, but if you look at scoring 5-2-2 and 5-2-3 then it would count. A1 gets the shot off before the shot clock violation then B1 rebounds and puts it back in...basket counts.

What is the difference A1 shoots and misses then B1 trys to rebound but taps it in his own goal. Do you wave off the basket or count it?
No, you would wave off that tip (assuming your situation involves time expiring after the ball is tipped but before it goes through the basket).

The part you need to look at is what makes the ball dead. The ball is dead when time expires, unless a try in in progress. 6-7-6 (exception)
Old Thu Feb 21, 2013, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
No, you would wave off that tip (assuming your situation involves time expiring after the ball is tipped but before it goes through the basket).

The part you need to look at is what makes the ball dead. The ball is dead when time expires, unless a try in in progress. 6-7-6 (exception)
To me it looks like B1's try was clearly in flight during the final horn sounding...i count the basket. 6-7-9a
Old Thu Feb 21, 2013, 01:09pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
To me it looks like B1's try was clearly in flight during the final horn sounding...i count the basket. 6-7-9a
It's not a try, as a try is an attempt to score "by throwing the ball into a team's own basket." 4-41-2 The exception doesn't apply, so the ball is dead.
Old Thu Feb 21, 2013, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sure it was. It just wasn't a try. By definition, this is not a try... so the ball is dead the instant the horn sounds.

I suspect this referee was motivated by the "penalize stupidity wherever possible" mantra... it's just not possible here. Hope this got fixed by his partner.

Kind of sad that every single one of us (with one late exception) knew right away without looking it up that this is not a try, and had to pass through the basket before the buzzer to count... yet the guy getting paid big bucks for a televised game did not.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Feb 21, 2013, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Kind of sad that every single one of us (with one late exception) knew right away without looking it up that this is not a try, and had to pass through the basket before the buzzer to count... yet the guy getting paid big bucks for a televised game did not.
What makes you think these officials were paid "big bucks" for this game or that the game was televised?

Looks like a JUCO or DIII game and depending on where it is, most likely is not anywhere near big bucks.

And I see nothing indicating the game is televised, which doesnt mean much either. I've done HS games televised on local access TV and guess what? They paid the same as all of the other varsity games I do.

I agree the officials should know the rules but not with your reasoning here. Officials should know the rules because it's our job, regardless of the level you are working.
Old Thu Feb 21, 2013, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Sure it was. It just wasn't a try. By definition, this is not a try... so the ball is dead the instant the horn sounds.

I suspect this referee was motivated by the "penalize stupidity wherever possible" mantra... it's just not possible here. Hope this got fixed by his partner.

I understand now. I am first year guy and still learning the ins and outs of the rule book. Thanks.
Old Thu Feb 21, 2013, 01:50pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
I understand now. I am first year guy and still learning the ins and outs of the rule book. Thanks.
Let's say that the player who "shot" that ball into the wrong basket, did so by releasing the ball behind the 3-point line, AND it went through the basket before the game clock buzzer sounded/light went on.

Are there points scored, and if so, how many?
Old Thu Feb 21, 2013, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
What makes you think these officials were paid "big bucks" for this game or that the game was televised?

Looks like a JUCO or DIII game and depending on where it is, most likely is not anywhere near big bucks.

And I see nothing indicating the game is televised, which doesnt mean much either. I've done HS games televised on local access TV and guess what? They paid the same as all of the other varsity games I do.

I agree the officials should know the rules but not with your reasoning here. Officials should know the rules because it's our job, regardless of the level you are working.
W&J on court..is this Washington and Jefferson a D3 in Pennsylvania?
Old Thu Feb 21, 2013, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Let's say that the player who "shot" that ball into the wrong basket, did so by releasing the ball behind the 3-point line, AND it went through the basket before the game clock buzzer sounded/light went on.

Are there points scored, and if so, how many?
It would be 2 pts. (5-2)