The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 19, 2013, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Stupidest thing to earn a T in a Wreck League Game

Ok folks, what are the stupidest things you've seen done to earn a technical in a rec league / IM game?

I've got a couple of them. One I just heard about and didn't witness. It was a women's IM game where the Rec supervisor was working as an official. This young lady did not like a call and decided to show her displeasure. She pulled her jersey to one side and said suck this to the official, exposing her breast in the process. The official said he couldn't even remember if he T'ed her up for it. He saw her around in public a few years later and they laughed about it then.

The worst one's I've seen were:

1) A team is way ahead in a IM game, so the team decides to start showboating. One player decides to lay on all 4's and let a team mate jump off his back to dunk on a breakaway. The player gets stepped on and immediately crumples in a heap. His team mate had broken a couple ribs when he jumped off him. Now I have an injured player, plus a technical foul (10-3-6e).

The other one was a in a Rec League game last season. Close game when a player doesn't like a call and starts mouthing off, so I give him a technical. My partner directs him to the bench area (league rule, IF or T = 2 minute penalty time) The opponent has just received the ball for the first free throw when the idiot yells Suck My _ick from the bench. Just as the free throw goes up I hear my partner (a softball CWS umpire) blow his whistle louder than I've ever hear and send him packing.

The worst, and most dangerous was last year or the year before. I wasn't at this game, but a regular partner of mine was. Close, hard fought game between two top teams in this league. The official calls an offensive foul. And walks to the table to report the foul and talk to the table about a timing issue. The player the foul was called on grabs the ball off the floor and throws it as hard as he can at the back of the official (kidney shot). The official in question lucky was ok, but the player is lucky the official was clam enough not to beat the crap out of the guy (in self defense of course. The player is about 5-8 150 and the official is about 6-8 325 (and a former corrections officer). The guy was ejected and given a 1 year suspension from the league. The throw was hard enough to leave a bruise imprint of the ball on the officials back.
Old Tue Feb 19, 2013, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

OK, I had some, but after your first one...I got nothing
Old Tue Feb 19, 2013, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Sounds like an assault charge to me.
Old Tue Feb 19, 2013, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio View Post
Sounds like an assault charge to me.
Agreed, but the official choose not to have charges pressed. If it were me, I would have pushed the issue much further. I would have had the police called, I would have pushed for charges to be filed, and I also would have pushed for a much longer suspension than what he got. One year is not enough for that action.
Old Tue Feb 19, 2013, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

A player, while I'm reporting a foul at the table, runs up to me and repeatedly yells (with the rapidity of a machine gun), "**** YOU (whack) **** YOU (whack - seeeeeee ya), **** YOU!!!!!!!!!!!".

Church league:

A1 tells B1 (after we call a shooting foul on B1) that he is going to "kick his ***". LOL....niiiiiiiice.

Whack and bye bye
Old Tue Feb 19, 2013, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Pretty sure I should close the thread and say the first story wins the thread.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Feb 19, 2013, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by #olderthanilook View Post
A player, while I'm reporting a foul at the table, runs up to me and repeatedly yells (with the rapidity of a machine gun), "**** YOU (whack) **** YOU (whack - seeeeeee ya), **** YOU!!!!!!!!!!!".

Church league:

A1 tells B1 (after we call a shooting foul on B1) that he is going to "kick his ***". LOL....niiiiiiiice.

Whack and bye bye
I don't work CL basketball, but have worked CL softball. The CL I work has an automatic ejection rule. If you use profanity in a game you are gone. I would think most CL's have this, so that would be an automatic ejection.
Old Tue Feb 19, 2013, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
The guy was ejected and given a 1 year suspension from the league. The throw was hard enough to leave a bruise imprint of the ball on the officials back.
Only one year? If I ever saw that guy as a player again I'd leave the gym.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Tue Feb 19, 2013, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

10 year old game.

30 seconds in, a run of the mill jump ball call. Red ball. Blue player, completely uninvolved in the play looks right at me after I point the ball in for Red, and yells, "THAT's BULL!!!!"

T.

Not even 30 seconds later, another completely boring jump ball call - still Red ball. Same blue player, still completely uninvolved in the play looks right at me and yells, "WHAT THE HELL!!!!!"

Seeya.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Feb 19, 2013, 01:40pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
10 year old game.
Parents must have been so proud!
Old Tue Feb 19, 2013, 01:52pm
wife loves the goatee...

years ago.....

Coaching my son's 9 & 10 year team... what I now know were very new officials had allowed a bigger and stronger team to beat the stuffing out of my kids ..... with about a minute left, my player gets knocked to the floor on a drive (no call, again) and I break into song... "M I C KEY MOUSE" as I walk towards the league supervisor waiting to show me the door.
Old Tue Feb 19, 2013, 03:20pm
Medium Kahuna

At the other end of the spectrum was Mike Brey's T last night.

Before the T: ND 3, Pitt 17

At halftime: ND 19, Pitt 22 (Pitt made the 2 FT's for the T)

Final score: ND 51, Pitt 42
Old Wed Feb 20, 2013, 02:05am
Official Forum Member

Intramurals are so much fun

Last year I got hit in the back of the head with the ball after I gave a technical foul.

My first year, I don't remember why but I gave a fraternity guy a technical. He calmed down but after another call he didn't agree with, he walked over to me and said so that only I could hear it, "please throw me out." I told him there was no reason for that so he started to try and earn it. He opened with, "you're not very good" to which I replied, "nothing I haven't heard before." It escalated until finally he said, "you've got a small dck." And he's gone. I still laugh about it