View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 19, 2013, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Stupidest thing to earn a T in a Wreck League Game

Ok folks, what are the stupidest things you've seen done to earn a technical in a rec league / IM game?

I've got a couple of them. One I just heard about and didn't witness. It was a women's IM game where the Rec supervisor was working as an official. This young lady did not like a call and decided to show her displeasure. She pulled her jersey to one side and said suck this to the official, exposing her breast in the process. The official said he couldn't even remember if he T'ed her up for it. He saw her around in public a few years later and they laughed about it then.

The worst one's I've seen were:

1) A team is way ahead in a IM game, so the team decides to start showboating. One player decides to lay on all 4's and let a team mate jump off his back to dunk on a breakaway. The player gets stepped on and immediately crumples in a heap. His team mate had broken a couple ribs when he jumped off him. Now I have an injured player, plus a technical foul (10-3-6e).

The other one was a in a Rec League game last season. Close game when a player doesn't like a call and starts mouthing off, so I give him a technical. My partner directs him to the bench area (league rule, IF or T = 2 minute penalty time) The opponent has just received the ball for the first free throw when the idiot yells Suck My _ick from the bench. Just as the free throw goes up I hear my partner (a softball CWS umpire) blow his whistle louder than I've ever hear and send him packing.

The worst, and most dangerous was last year or the year before. I wasn't at this game, but a regular partner of mine was. Close, hard fought game between two top teams in this league. The official calls an offensive foul. And walks to the table to report the foul and talk to the table about a timing issue. The player the foul was called on grabs the ball off the floor and throws it as hard as he can at the back of the official (kidney shot). The official in question lucky was ok, but the player is lucky the official was clam enough not to beat the crap out of the guy (in self defense of course. The player is about 5-8 150 and the official is about 6-8 325 (and a former corrections officer). The guy was ejected and given a 1 year suspension from the league. The throw was hard enough to leave a bruise imprint of the ball on the officials back.