The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 10:18am
Livin' The Dream

Defensive 3 seconds NFHS

Yep....i said it! And yep, I called it last night in a tournament game! Not too proud to admit that i made a mistake. Got my sides mixed up and as the C, watched the center for the defense dilly dally around in the lane for awhile and sure enough, I blow the whistle, signal 3 seconds on 52 black, and point the other way! WTF!!! Teams sheepishly start walking the other way. White #54 comes up to me and asks me who i called it on...I told him, 52 black. He says, we are white and we dont have a 52 on the floor. (((light bulb goes off)))
Son - of - a. So my partners were as confused as i was, black has the ball on the baseline. Proceed to tell them, my bad, white had possession on my bonehead call, white ball on the baseline. Coach was fine with it....known him for awhile....he just smiled, and said, i thought you were going to call a foul, then i would have been mad. of course, from the cheap seats...."get your head in the game!" To be expected. The tournament trail continues. Move on....one for the files. To be talked about over malted beverages for years to come.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 10:26am
Official & Member

I called one in my first year...I think everybody has (but most won't admit it). Had to be a little embarassing in a tournament,though (ouch). Was it varsity? Post season?
Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

You were just preparing yourself for the NBA!
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 10:31am
Archaic Power Monger

Hey at least you didn't call a T for it.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 10:41am
Livin' The Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
I called one in my first year...I think everybody has (but most won't admit it). Had to be a little embarassing in a tournament,though (ouch). Was it varsity? Post season?
Oh yeah....all of the above. Like i said, have worked both coaches before, they both got a chuckle over it.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

I've done worse, but I remind myself, which team is on offense and think, think, think...

I called a shot clock violation with the ball in the air....good basket....waved off...talked to partners and called it good...live and learn.

Mistakes can happen once, if the same mistakes happen more than that, you're not learning. JMO
Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 02:32pm
Back from the DL

I had something in that "which end are we on" realm this year.

Freshmen boys. I'm the L in the A position, red ball, which becomes loose, two players fight for it. I have a holding foul on 52 red. Both teams in the bonus, I state the foul and "1-and-1" at the site.

As I go to report, the players start lining up for red FTs on that end. I turn back, and pause. Something's off here, and it's more than just which team committed the foul. It takes a few seconds, but it hits me, and I clear it up.

"No, guys, 52 RED. White ball," I confidently declare as I point to the end line. Then, I turn back to the table, with a sheepish grin, to punch.

"Sorry, team control."