The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Defensive 3 seconds NFHS (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/94016-defensive-3-seconds-nfhs.html)

tw1ns Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:18am

Defensive 3 seconds NFHS

Yep....i said it! And yep, I called it last night in a tournament game! :eek: Not too proud to admit that i made a mistake. Got my sides mixed up and as the C, watched the center for the defense dilly dally around in the lane for awhile and sure enough, I blow the whistle, signal 3 seconds on 52 black, and point the other way! WTF!!! Teams sheepishly start walking the other way. White #54 comes up to me and asks me who i called it on...I told him, 52 black. He says, we are white and we dont have a 52 on the floor. (((light bulb goes off)))
Son - of - a. So my partners were as confused as i was, black has the ball on the baseline. Proceed to tell them, my bad, white had possession on my bonehead call, white ball on the baseline. Coach was fine with it....known him for awhile....he just smiled, and said, i thought you were going to call a foul, then i would have been mad. of course, from the cheap seats...."get your head in the game!" To be expected. The tournament trail continues. Move on....one for the files. To be talked about over malted beverages for years to come.

Bad Zebra Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:26am

I called one in my first year...I think everybody has (but most won't admit it). Had to be a little embarassing in a tournament,though (ouch). Was it varsity? Post season?

APG Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:28am

You were just preparing yourself for the NBA! ;)

Welpe Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:31am

Hey at least you didn't call a T for it. :D

tw1ns Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra (Post 879026)
I called one in my first year...I think everybody has (but most won't admit it). Had to be a little embarassing in a tournament,though (ouch). Was it varsity? Post season?

Oh yeah....all of the above. Like i said, have worked both coaches before, they both got a chuckle over it.

Terrapins Fan Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:27am

I've done worse, but I remind myself, which team is on offense and think, think, think...

I called a shot clock violation with the ball in the air....good basket....waved off...talked to partners and called it good...live and learn.

Mistakes can happen once, if the same mistakes happen more than that, you're not learning. JMO

bainsey Wed Feb 13, 2013 02:32pm

I had something in that "which end are we on" realm this year.

Freshmen boys. I'm the L in the A position, red ball, which becomes loose, two players fight for it. I have a holding foul on 52 red. Both teams in the bonus, I state the foul and "1-and-1" at the site.

As I go to report, the players start lining up for red FTs on that end. I turn back, and pause. Something's off here, and it's more than just which team committed the foul. It takes a few seconds, but it hits me, and I clear it up.

"No, guys, 52 RED. White ball," I confidently declare as I point to the end line. Then, I turn back to the table, with a sheepish grin, to punch.

"Sorry, team control."