Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
NFHS Basketball Rules Questionnaire

Are These Changes Made Last Year Satisfactory?
1. The official scorer is required to wear a black-and-white vertically striped garment.

Have You Seen In Your Area?
1. Leg compression sleeves/calf sleeves becoming a problem.
2. The consistent enforcement of the arm compression sleeve.
3. Intentional fouls properly called throughout the contest. No
4. Inconsistent compliance with the rule on headband/wristband colors.
5. Headbands wider than 2 inches becoming a problem.
6. More players being allowed to wear tights.
7. Officials spending more time addressing concerns voiced by coaches.
8. Schools requesting permission for players to wear some type of headgear for protection because of a concussion.
9. Improvement in the calls made on contact above the shoulders. Not sure we have clear direction from our association or the states.

About Rules For 2013-14 – Would You Favor?
1. Eliminating the jump ball to start the game and any overtime period. No
2. Determining initial possession of the ball with a coin toss during the pregame conference with captains and coaches.No
3. Legalizing the use of electronic devices in the bench area.
4. Strengthening the penalty for illegal elbow contact above the shoulders. No
5. Reducing the closely guarded situation from 6 feet to 3 feet. Yes
6. Playing the game in two 18-minute halves. No
7. Playing the game in two 16-minute halves.No
8. Allowing a visible manufacturer's logo on the jersey.No
9. Changing "intentional foul" to "excessive foul" to better clarify. No
10. Allowing state adoptions for size of coaching box (i.e., none, 6 feet, 14 feet, 28 feet).
11. Giving a team the option of free throws or possession of the ball out of bounds.No
12. Permitting players in marked spaces along the free-throw lane to break the plane when the try is released Yes
13. Continuous motion.

About Mechanics For 2013-14 - Officials Only - Would You Favor?
1. Using the "stop the clock for a violation" signal prior to giving the "jump ball" signal. No
2. Eliminating the long switch on a foul in the backcourt.We don't switch long.
cc

Last edited by dsqrddgd909; Wed Feb 13, 2013 at 11:07am.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
Maybe they aren't being worn for medical reasons only, and not all the same color for each team member wearing them. Also, I hate all the dress code rules btw.
And how is that a problem?
Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Too many people screaming "This isn't the NBA!" ?

I don't get it either.
For all we know, NFHS is thinking about getting rid of continuous motion...in the same vein of getting rid of the auto first for DPI's.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 12:37pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
For all we know, NFHS is thinking about getting rid of continuous motion...in the same vein of getting rid of the auto first for DPI's.
There are already too many officials not awarding free throws because the player is "ON THE FLOOR." Fortunately, I don't work with many of them.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 12:41pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Don't give them any ideas.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 12:56pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Don't give them any ideas.
No kidding. :horror:
Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 01:09pm
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
There are already too many officials not awarding free throws because the player is "ON THE FLOOR." Fortunately, I don't work with many of them.
I had to work with TWO of them a week ago Friday. That was a long game.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 01:10pm
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
There's a (somewhat ambiguous) question about it on the new survey. Something along the lines of:

Continuous motion?

I wish their survey writers were more familiar with the concept of a verb.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
There's a (somewhat ambiguous) question about it on the new survey. Something along the lines of:

Continuous motion?

I wish their survey writers were more familiar with the concept of a verb.
That was my point of my initial post. Why the hell is NFHS asking if we'd favor continuous motion?
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

1. The official scorer is required to wear a black-and-white vertically striped garment. Yes

1. Leg compression sleeves/calf sleeves becoming a problem. Not yet…
2. The consistent enforcement of the arm compression sleeve. No
3. Intentional fouls properly called throughout the contest. No
4. Inconsistent compliance with the rule on headband/wristband colors. No
5. Headbands wider than 2 inches becoming a problem. No
6. More players being allowed to wear tights. No – HUGE Issue of players wearing wild/non-matching socks….I hate being the fashion police, but we are concerned about two different colors of thin headbands, yet a player can wear one purple sock and one green sock with his team’s RED UNIFORM???
7. Officials spending more time addressing concerns voiced by coaches. Yes…not sure why…More T’s as well….
8. Schools requesting permission for players to wear some type of headgear for protection because of a concussion. No
9. Improvement in the calls made on contact above the shoulders. No

1. Eliminating the jump ball to start the game and any overtime period. Yes (More fair – tall player’s team has an advantage – eliminates bad toss problem as well)
2. Determining initial possession of the ball with a coin toss during the pregame conference with captains and coaches. Yes
3. Legalizing the use of electronic devices in the bench area. Yes – too difficult to police
4. Strengthening the penalty for illegal elbow contact above the shoulders. No
5. Reducing the closely guarded situation from 6 feet to 3 feet. Yes – SIX FEET is NOT CLOSE!! Award Good defense, not just being in the same zip code!
6. Playing the game in two 18-minute halves. Yes
7. Playing the game in two 16-minute halves. Yes
8. Allowing a visible manufacturer's logo on the jersey. Yes
9. Changing "intentional foul" to "excessive foul" to better clarify. Use Both
10. Allowing state adoptions for size of coaching box (i.e., none, 6 feet, 14 feet, 28 feet). No – go to 28 feet for all
11. Giving a team the option of free throws or possession of the ball out of bounds. No
12. Permitting players in marked spaces along the free-throw lane to break the plane when the try is released Yes, PLEASE!!!
13. Continuous motion. ???

1. Using the "stop the clock for a violation" signal prior to giving the "jump ball" signal. No
2. Eliminating the long switch on a foul in the backcourt. Yes
Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 06:44pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think changing closely guarded to 3 feet is a good idea. At least in the games I have, there is a 5 second count that gets called maybe once every 3 games. Moving it to 3 feet is going to create a lot of extra potential for contact that NFHS doesn't want to encourage I think.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 06:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

1. The official scorer is required to wear a black-and-white vertically striped garment.

1. Leg compression sleeves/calf sleeves becoming a problem. If seeing more of them is a problem then no.
2. The consistent enforcement of the arm compression sleeve. It was a dumb rule in the first place.
3. Intentional fouls properly called throughout the contest. Like any rule.
4. Inconsistent compliance with the rule on headband/wristband colors. Dumb rule
5. Headbands wider than 2 inches becoming a problem. Not measuring and don't care.
6. More players being allowed to wear tights. Not looking that closely.
7. Officials spending more time addressing concerns voiced by coaches. No
8. Schools requesting permission for players to wear some type of headgear for protection because of a concussion. No
9. Improvement in the calls made on contact above the shoulders. Not seeing many of these plays.

1. Eliminating the jump ball to start the game and any overtime period. No
2. Determining initial possession of the ball with a coin toss during the pregame conference with captains and coaches. Hell no.
3. Legalizing the use of electronic devices in the bench area. Why not?
4. Strengthening the penalty for illegal elbow contact above the shoulders. I am OK with this
5. Reducing the closely guarded situation from 6 feet to 3 feet. No
7. Playing the game in two 16-minute halves. Yes
8. Allowing a visible manufacturer's logo on the jersey. I would not care.
9. Changing "intentional foul" to "excessive foul" to better clarify. Go to Flagrant 1 and 2 language.
10. Allowing state adoptions for size of coaching box (i.e., none, 6 feet, 14 feet, 28 feet). Get rid of the box and just allow them the 28 feet.
11. Giving a team the option of free throws or possession of the ball out of bounds. No
12. Permitting players in marked spaces along the free-throw lane to break the plane when the try is released. Yes
13. Continuous motion. I have no idea what the hell this means.

1. Using the "stop the clock for a violation" signal prior to giving the "jump ball" signal. Heck no.
2. Eliminating the long switch on a foul in the backcourt. We already did.
Peace
Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Yes

1. Leg compression sleeves/calf sleeves becoming a problem.
No, just officials who won't enforce.
2. The consistent enforcement of the arm compression sleeve.
no
3. Intentional fouls properly called throughout the contest.
yes
4. Inconsistent compliance with the rule on headband/wristband colors.
Yes, again officials who wont enforce
5. Headbands wider than 2 inches becoming a problem.
no
6. More players being allowed to wear tights.
no, but i saw them more this year
7. Officials spending more time addressing concerns voiced by coaches.
yes
8. Schools requesting permission for players to wear some type of headgear for protection because of a concussion.
no
9. Improvement in the calls made on contact above the shoulders.
yes

1. Eliminating the jump ball to start the game and any overtime period.
no
2. Determining initial possession of the ball with a coin toss during the pregame conference with captains and coaches.
no
3. Legalizing the use of electronic devices in the bench area.
no
4. Strengthening the penalty for illegal elbow contact above the shoulders.
no
5. Reducing the closely guarded situation from 6 feet to 3 feet.
no
6. Playing the game in two 18-minute halves.
yes
7. Playing the game in two 16-minute halves.
no
8. Allowing a visible manufacturer's logo on the jersey.
yes
9. Changing "intentional foul" to "excessive foul" to better clarify.
no
10. Allowing state adoptions for size of coaching box (i.e., none, 6 feet, 14 feet, 28 feet).
can we just get them marked?
11. Giving a team the option of free throws or possession of the ball out of bounds.
no
12. Permitting players in marked spaces along the free-throw lane to break the plane when the try is released (
yes, yes
13. Continuous motion.

1. Using the "stop the clock for a violation" signal prior to giving the "jump ball" signal.
no
2. Eliminating the long switch on a foul in the backcourt.
when in rome, we already do this
Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

See in quote.
Quote:

1. The official scorer is required to wear a black-and-white vertically striped garment. Yes

1. Leg compression sleeves/calf sleeves becoming a problem. Not yet.
2. The consistent enforcement of the arm compression sleeve. Consistent by me, others? I cannot say.
3. Intentional fouls properly called throughout the contest. For the most part.
4. Inconsistent compliance with the rule on headband/wristband colors. No.
5. Headbands wider than 2 inches becoming a problem. No.
6. More players being allowed to wear tights. Not here.
7. Officials spending more time addressing concerns voiced by coaches. YES. Coaches need to learn when to stop.
8. Schools requesting permission for players to wear some type of headgear for protection because of a concussion. Have not had it.
9. Improvement in the calls made on contact above the shoulders. From what I have seen, yes.

1. Eliminating the jump ball to start the game and any overtime period. No.
2. Determining initial possession of the ball with a coin toss during the pregame conference with captains and coaches. Not just no, but NO!
3. Legalizing the use of electronic devices in the bench area. Yes. It is the 21st century. Shoot, the HS I teach at had one on the bench last week and NONE of the officials said a word.
4. Strengthening the penalty for illegal elbow contact above the shoulders. Fine as is at the moment.
5. Reducing the closely guarded situation from 6 feet to 3 feet. No, keep as is. Works for what is needed. Needs to be called consistently & correctly is the issue.
7. Playing the game in two 16-minute halves. And Yes.
8. Allowing a visible manufacturer's logo on the jersey. Yes, this should be allowed as schools need the money!
9. Changing "intentional foul" to "excessive foul" to better clarify. Maybe? Not in favor of NCAA-M names.
10. Allowing state adoptions for size of coaching box (i.e., none, 6 feet, 14 feet, 28 feet). Thought states already did that.
11. Giving a team the option of free throws or possession of the ball out of bounds. No, too many options. This is not football where we turn to a coach for a decision on every foul.
12. Permitting players in marked spaces along the free-throw lane to break the plane when the try is released. No, I am fine with waiting on the rim. Helps with excessive roughness.
13. Continuous motion. As in keeping it, yes. Needs to be called correctly. Many officials screw this one up in my area, IMO.

1. Using the "stop the clock for a violation" signal prior to giving the "jump ball" signal. Who has 2 thumbs and doesn't want to raise his hand? This guy.
2. Eliminating the long switch on a foul in the backcourt. I don't long switch already when I work games. It is a part of my pre-game.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

I would be alright with playing games in halves, either 16 or 18. For the coaches box, I don't really pay that much attention as it is (yes, I'm that guy with the box), and would prefer the 28' box. Free throws, yes they should go on the release in the lane. For long switches, yes do away with that mechanic. Where I started, we didn't do it, where I am currently we do. It sucks and is a waste of dead ball time while we are switching. Don't recall the rest, but the jump ball needs to stay, sucks if you don't have tall players or don't have players who can't jump. The uniform rules are stupid all around and I hate being the uniform police. I enforce what's expected to be enforced, and could give a rats a$$ about the rest.