The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Email From My State Interscholastic Sports Governing Body .... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/94014-email-my-state-interscholastic-sports-governing-body.html)

BillyMac Wed Feb 13, 2013 06:19am

2013 NFHS Basketball Rules Questionnaire

NFHS Basketball Rules Questionnaire

Are These Changes Made Last Year Satisfactory?
1. The official scorer is required to wear a black-and-white vertically striped garment.

Have You Seen In Your Area?
1. Leg compression sleeves/calf sleeves becoming a problem.
2. The consistent enforcement of the arm compression sleeve.
3. Intentional fouls properly called throughout the contest.
4. Inconsistent compliance with the rule on headband/wristband colors.
5. Headbands wider than 2 inches becoming a problem.
6. More players being allowed to wear tights.
7. Officials spending more time addressing concerns voiced by coaches.
8. Schools requesting permission for players to wear some type of headgear for protection because of a concussion.
9. Improvement in the calls made on contact above the shoulders.

About Rules For 2013-14 – Would You Favor?
1. Eliminating the jump ball to start the game and any overtime period.
2. Determining initial possession of the ball with a coin toss during the pregame conference with captains and coaches.
3. Legalizing the use of electronic devices in the bench area.
4. Strengthening the penalty for illegal elbow contact above the shoulders.
5. Reducing the closely guarded situation from 6 feet to 3 feet.
6. Playing the game in two 18-minute halves.
7. Playing the game in two 16-minute halves.
8. Allowing a visible manufacturer's logo on the jersey.
9. Changing "intentional foul" to "excessive foul" to better clarify.
10. Allowing state adoptions for size of coaching box (i.e., none, 6 feet, 14 feet, 28 feet).
11. Giving a team the option of free throws or possession of the ball out of bounds.
12. Permitting players in marked spaces along the free-throw lane to break the plane when the try is released (
13. Continuous motion.

About Mechanics For 2013-14 - Officials Only - Would You Favor?
1. Using the "stop the clock for a violation" signal prior to giving the "jump ball" signal.
2. Eliminating the long switch on a foul in the backcourt.

JetMetFan Wed Feb 13, 2013 06:42am

How can compression sleeves become "a problem?"

APG Wed Feb 13, 2013 07:12am

Question number 13 makes no sense to me

scrounge Wed Feb 13, 2013 08:01am

I don't understand why we'd go to a coin toss, but at least it would make the inane "who's the speaking captain" that so many ask at least somewhat meaningful.

OKREF Wed Feb 13, 2013 09:03am

Scorers shirt--yes

First set

New Rules
3,5,6 or 7,8,10,12

Mechanics
We do both of these already in our state. Long switches are bad. Also nothing worse than one guy going up with held ball and another going up with a closed fist. If you go up with open hand, much easier to handle.

OKREF Wed Feb 13, 2013 09:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 878943)

Maybe they aren't being worn for medical reasons only, and not all the same color for each team member wearing them. Also, I hate all the dress code rules btw.

bob jenkins Wed Feb 13, 2013 09:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 878943)

Same with tights. Are we seeing more? Yes. Is it a problem? Not really. Should tights be allowed? Yes, with color restrictions similar to undershirts.

None of that seems to be allowed with the questionnaire.

Welpe Wed Feb 13, 2013 09:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 878945)
Question number 13 makes no sense to me

Too many people screaming "This isn't the NBA!" ?

I don't get it either.

Bad Zebra Wed Feb 13, 2013 09:23am

With regard to uniform and equipment "becoming a problem"...the only problem is with the way their rules are written and expecting officials to be fashion/uniform police. Either allow an item or don't. Don't put in "medical" qualifications, color stipulations, length, texture, hardness...on and on and on. It is getting absurd and the Fed seems hell bent on adding even more stipulations to each piece of trendy components.

JetMetFan Wed Feb 13, 2013 09:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrounge (Post 878947)
I don't understand why we'd go to a coin toss, but at least it would make the inane "who's the speaking captain" that so many ask at least somewhat meaningful.

GA actually did this - the coin toss - in the late '90s. If we didn't have a coin we did "fingers behind the back, one or two." It didn't last long. Maybe a season or two.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra (Post 878970)
Either allow an item or don't. Don't put in "medical" qualifications, color stipulations, length, texture, hardness...on and on and on. It is getting absurd and the Fed seems hell bent on adding even more stipulations to each piece of trendy components.

Agreed. It drives me nuts, especially because I work with NFHS and NCAA rules at the H.S. level, let alone college. Players in my BV games can wear long sleeves but in my GV games they need a medical waiver...it doesn't make sense.

Rich Wed Feb 13, 2013 09:34am

We (my regular partners and I) already go into a held ball situation with whistles only and only when we get eye contact and know neither of us have a foul or a violation -- only THEN do we go up with the thumbs. Only takes an extra second, but saves us from having differing signals.

I'd rather not have the stop clock signal mandated. Then we wouldn't know if we had a violation or a held ball. Our way works better, IMO. Of course, the NFHS feels that timers aren't capable of stopping the clock with whistles only, so that would never be the preferred mechanic.

We haven't long switched on a backcourt foul in...well, I can't remember how long.

tjones1 Wed Feb 13, 2013 09:35am

2013 NFHS Basketball Rules Questionnaire

PART III – ABOUT RULES FOR 2013-14 – WOULD YOU FAVOR?

13. Continuous motion.

-----------------------

What am I missing?

Edit: Sorry gang... missed it. I'm with APG... WOW.

Welpe Wed Feb 13, 2013 09:39am

Merged threads.

Terrapins Fan Wed Feb 13, 2013 09:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 878940)

1. The official scorer is required to wear a black-and-white vertically striped garment.

Have You Seen In Your Area?
1. Leg compression sleeves/calf sleeves becoming a problem. No
2. The consistent enforcement of the arm compression sleeve. no
3. Intentional fouls properly called throughout the contest. No
4. Inconsistent compliance with the rule on headband/wristband colors. no
5. Headbands wider than 2 inches becoming a problem. no
6. More players being allowed to wear tights. no
7. Officials spending more time addressing concerns voiced by coaches. yes
8. Schools requesting permission for players to wear some type of headgear for protection because of a concussion. no
9. Improvement in the calls made on contact above the shoulders. yes

About Rules For 2013-14 – Would You Favor?
1. Eliminating the jump ball to start the game and any overtime period. no
2. Determining initial possession of the ball with a coin toss during the pregame conference with captains and coaches. no
3. Legalizing the use of electronic devices in the bench area. no
4. Strengthening the penalty for illegal elbow contact above the shoulders. maybe
5. Reducing the closely guarded situation from 6 feet to 3 feet. yes
6. Playing the game in two 18-minute halves. no
7. Playing the game in two 16-minute halves. yes
8. Allowing a visible manufacturer's logo on the jersey. Seriously? that completely changes the entire game of basketball....
9. Changing "intentional foul" to "excessive foul" to better clarify. maybe
10. Allowing state adoptions for size of coaching box (i.e., none, 6 feet, 14 feet, 28 feet). we already have that
11. Giving a team the option of free throws or possession of the ball out of bounds. NO
12. Permitting players in marked spaces along the free-throw lane to break the plane when the try is released No
13. Continuous motion.

1. Using the "stop the clock for a violation" signal prior to giving the "jump ball" signal. The clock stops on the whistle, try raising your hand without blowing the whistle and see if the clock or players stop.
2. Eliminating the long switch on a foul in the backcourt.We already do that.

good post

zm1283 Wed Feb 13, 2013 09:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 878940)

Yes, I like it.

Quote:

1. Eliminating the jump ball to start the game and any overtime period.
No, it's fine how it is.

Quote:

5. Reducing the closely guarded situation from 6 feet to 3 feet.
No, it would just make it harder on the defense.

Quote:

6. Playing the game in two 18-minute halves.
7. Playing the game in two 16-minute halves.
I like the 16-minute idea.

Quote:

9. Changing "intentional foul" to "excessive foul" to better clarify.
No, either leave it as intentional or change to FF1 or FF2 like NCAA.

Quote:

10. Allowing state adoptions for size of coaching box (i.e., none, 6 feet, 14 feet, 28 feet).
Isn't this already done now? I don't know of anyone who has the 28-foot box, but don't some states have no box and some have the 14-footer?

Quote:

12. Permitting players in marked spaces along the free-throw lane to break the plane when the try is released
Yes, I like this.

Quote:

1. Using the "stop the clock for a violation" signal prior to giving the "jump ball" signal.
2. Eliminating the long switch on a foul in the backcourt.
We already do #1 and have for a couple of years. We switch on every foul in 2-person mechanics. (Except for shooting fouls that the Trail calls in the FC)