View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

See in quote.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
NFHS Basketball Rules Questionnaire

Are These Changes Made Last Year Satisfactory?
1. The official scorer is required to wear a black-and-white vertically striped garment. Yes

Have You Seen In Your Area?
1. Leg compression sleeves/calf sleeves becoming a problem. Not yet.
2. The consistent enforcement of the arm compression sleeve. Consistent by me, others? I cannot say.
3. Intentional fouls properly called throughout the contest. For the most part.
4. Inconsistent compliance with the rule on headband/wristband colors. No.
5. Headbands wider than 2 inches becoming a problem. No.
6. More players being allowed to wear tights. Not here.
7. Officials spending more time addressing concerns voiced by coaches. YES. Coaches need to learn when to stop.
8. Schools requesting permission for players to wear some type of headgear for protection because of a concussion. Have not had it.
9. Improvement in the calls made on contact above the shoulders. From what I have seen, yes.

About Rules For 2013-14 – Would You Favor?
1. Eliminating the jump ball to start the game and any overtime period. No.
2. Determining initial possession of the ball with a coin toss during the pregame conference with captains and coaches. Not just no, but NO!
3. Legalizing the use of electronic devices in the bench area. Yes. It is the 21st century. Shoot, the HS I teach at had one on the bench last week and NONE of the officials said a word.
4. Strengthening the penalty for illegal elbow contact above the shoulders. Fine as is at the moment.
5. Reducing the closely guarded situation from 6 feet to 3 feet. No, keep as is. Works for what is needed. Needs to be called consistently & correctly is the issue.
6. Playing the game in two 18-minute halves. Yes
7. Playing the game in two 16-minute halves. And Yes.
8. Allowing a visible manufacturer's logo on the jersey. Yes, this should be allowed as schools need the money!
9. Changing "intentional foul" to "excessive foul" to better clarify. Maybe? Not in favor of NCAA-M names.
10. Allowing state adoptions for size of coaching box (i.e., none, 6 feet, 14 feet, 28 feet). Thought states already did that.
11. Giving a team the option of free throws or possession of the ball out of bounds. No, too many options. This is not football where we turn to a coach for a decision on every foul.
12. Permitting players in marked spaces along the free-throw lane to break the plane when the try is released. No, I am fine with waiting on the rim. Helps with excessive roughness.
13. Continuous motion. As in keeping it, yes. Needs to be called correctly. Many officials screw this one up in my area, IMO.

About Mechanics For 2013-14 - Officials Only - Would You Favor?
1. Using the "stop the clock for a violation" signal prior to giving the "jump ball" signal. Who has 2 thumbs and doesn't want to raise his hand? This guy.
2. Eliminating the long switch on a foul in the backcourt. I don't long switch already when I work games. It is a part of my pre-game.