The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 11, 2013, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Not sure how I am twisting words that aren't there...seems more like you are choosing to ignore the definition of a Technical foul from rule 4...kind of seems like you have to read 10-3-8 in light of that definition, doesn't it?
Maybe, maybe not. The definition you're referring to only says that a dead ball flagrant (fight) is a technical.

If you also look at the definition of fighting, it doesn't refer to contact at all....it is the attempt to strike that is considered the fight. So, the infraction has already occurred before the contact.

Basically, my point is that BillyMac is not necessarily getting incorrect information from someone....the book can easily lead to the conclusion that fighting is a T at any time.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Mon Feb 11, 2013 at 05:15pm.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2013, 05:20pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Maybe, maybe not. The definition you're referring to only says that a dead ball flagrant (fight) is a technical.

If you also look at the definition of fighting, it doesn't refer to contact at all....it is the attempt to strike that is considered the fight. So, the infraction has already occurred before the contact.

Basically, my point is that BillyMac is not necessarily getting incorrect information from someone....the book can easily lead to the conclusion that fighting is a T at any time.
Ok. But in order to reach that conclusion, one has to ignore the definition of a T. In the long run, not that big of a deal.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2013, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ok. But in order to reach that conclusion, one has to ignore the definition of a T. In the long run, not that big of a deal.
Yet, to get to your conclusion, you have to ignore the definition of fighting and the definitions of a player technical from rule 10. The rules are simply contradictory here. I've pointed that out before and nothing has changed. Maybe they want it to be a personal in one case but the rules, as written, can be read to mean otherwise.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Mon Feb 11, 2013 at 07:59pm.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2013, 06:12pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Au Contraire, Mon Frère ...

Quote:
In the long run, not that big of a deal.
The difference is important. Flagrant personal fouls mean that the fouled player (or their substitute) shoots the free throws, whereas, flagrant technical fouls mean any opposing team player could shoot the free throws.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Feb 11, 2013, 06:36pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
The difference is important. Flagrant personal fouls mean that the fouled player (or their substitute) shoots the free throws, whereas, flagrant technical fouls mean any opposing team player could shoot the free throws.
We are talking about a fight. In most cases, a fight will involve more than one person...that's why I made the comment above. If A5 and B4 are charged with fighting, your objection to my statement is made moot.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2013, 08:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Let's Say That We're Shooting Free Throws ...

Quote:
If A5 and B4 are charged with fighting, your objection to my statement is made moot.
This is a double foul, no free throws, point of interruption, my concern is certainly moot. What if it isn't a double foul? Is my concern still moot?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Feb 11, 2013, 09:10pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
This is a double foul, no free throws, point of interruption, my concern is certainly moot. What if it isn't a double foul? Is my concern still moot?
No it is not. And it is one of the reasons why a punch thrown during a live ball is not a flagrant T. The player the punch was thrown at will be the shooter, or if punch landed and player is hurt, the sub will be the shooter.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2013, 09:52pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
No it is not. And it is one of the reasons why a punch thrown during a live ball is not a flagrant T. The player the punch was thrown at will be the shooter, or if punch landed and player is hurt, the sub will be the shooter.
Camron's question still applies, why should a swing and a miss be penalized more heavily than a connected punch?
Old Mon Feb 11, 2013, 11:15pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Camron's question still applies, why should a swing and a miss be penalized more heavily than a connected punch?
How is it being penalized more heavily?
Old Tue Feb 12, 2013, 02:59am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
How is it being penalized more heavily?
Do you not consider the offended team getting to choose the free throw shooter a heavier penalty?

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Feb 12, 2013, 10:58am
Esteemed Participant

4-19 ART. 4

A flagrant foul may be a personal or technical foul of a violent or savage nature, or a technical noncontact foul which displays unacceptable *conduct. It may or may not be intentional. If personal, it involves, but is not limited to violent contact such as: striking, kicking and kneeing. If technical, it involves dead-ball contact or noncontact at any time which is extreme or persistent, vulgar or abusive *conduct. Fighting is a flagrant act.

A flagrant technical is dead ball contact. Fighting is a flagrant act...so if the fight occurs during a dead ball, it is a flagrant T. If the fight occurs during a live ball, it is a flagrant personal.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2013, 11:07am
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
If the fight occurs during a live ball, it is a flagrant personal.
Fighting is not limited to contact: throwing a punch and missing is fighting.

Oooh, trivia alert: name the one non-contact foul that can be a personal foul.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2013, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Playing with 4

I had a similar sitch last month, but for different reasons. The coach had six players. The one on the bench was very small in what was a physical contest between two agressive teams. Two players in foul trouble already in the first quarter, and the coach asked me if he could play with four. What were his reasons? He probably wanted to sit both players in foul trouble, or rest some guys, or maybe he just didn't want to put the little guy in. I'm not getting into that discussion, sorry. If he wants to play with four, he has his reasons.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2013, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
Fighting is not limited to contact: throwing a punch and missing is fighting.

Oooh, trivia alert: name the one non-contact foul that can be a personal foul.
? "A personal foul is a player foul which (sic) involves illegal contact with an opponent while the ball is live ... contact by or on an airborne shooter when the ball is dead."

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplagrow View Post
I had a similar sitch last month, but for different reasons. The coach had six players. The one on the bench was very small in what was a physical contest between two agressive teams. Two players in foul trouble already in the first quarter, and the coach asked me if he could play with four. What were his reasons? He probably wanted to sit both players in foul trouble, or rest some guys, or maybe he just didn't want to put the little guy in. I'm not getting into that discussion, sorry. If he wants to play with four, he has his reasons.
That's not a valid reason.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2013, 11:33am
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
? "A personal foul is a player foul which (sic) involves illegal contact with an opponent while the ball is live ... contact by or on an airborne shooter when the ball is dead."
I'm aware of the contradiction. I was tracing out the logic of rocky's statement that fighting (including non-contact fighting) during a live ball is a flagrant personal foul.