The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   refuses to play with 5 (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93947-refuses-play-5-a.html)

DRJ1960 Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:01pm

refuses to play with 5

Small Private School BV. Team A is athletic, Team B seems to have mainly offensive linemen in the frontcourt. Game is blowout from the start. VERY physical game by Team B. Second Team B player collects foul #5 on an elbow to the head (my partner calls it a "T"). Coach refuses to substitute and insists on finishing the game with 4 players on the floor in spite of having eligible subs on the bench. (Approx 3 minutes left). 10.5.2 looks possible but seems aimed at a delay rather than "refusal".

What would you have done?

(Yes, the game was a "difficult" one from the tip).

deecee Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:09pm

Let's see if this is correct.

T on the coach first for failure to sub.

If he still fails to provide a fifth player then the game shall be forfeit.

Adam Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:11pm

Coach, are you telling me all these guys aren't available to play?

Judtech Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:18pm

Who determines if a player is eligible or not? Does a minor injury make a player eligible to play if they can just stand out there? If a player is being disciplined by a coach can an official over ride that and make that player eligible?

Adam Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judtech (Post 878044)
Who determines if a player is eligible or not? Does a minor injury make a player eligible to play if they can just stand out there? If a player is being disciplined by a coach can an official over ride that and make that player eligible?

No, and no.

JetMetFan Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:47pm

Had any of the kids on the bench played up to that point? If they had, they don't appear injured and you can really tell he's just being a PITA, call a T and then if he still doesn't bring in a player, declare a forfeit.

No sense dealing with someone who wants to have a temper tantrum.

Judtech Sat Feb 09, 2013 01:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 878052)
No, and no.

Then play with 4 and let the coach know as soon as/if a player becomes available they need to check in at the table.

johnny d Sat Feb 09, 2013 01:06pm

Why was the elbow to the head called a T? Was the ball dead? As far as playing with 4 goes, I would ask the coach if he is refusing to put in a sub, or if the players on his bench are not available to play. If his answer indicates the first then he is getting a T and a forefit if he continues to refuse to put another player in. If he answers the latter, then they play with 4. I dont care what his reason is at the time, injury, discipline, whatever, if he says they are not available, that is good enough for me.

Adam Sat Feb 09, 2013 01:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judtech (Post 878054)
Then play with 4 and let the coach know as soon as/if a player becomes available they need to check in at the table.

Agreed, which is why I simply ask, "are you saying no one else is available?" His answer determines how I move forward.

DRJ1960 Sat Feb 09, 2013 01:15pm

We didn't address the initial "T" in our post game... my opinion, for what its worth, was simply that he was unclear on the details of the emphasis this year on elbows. (It was live ball, completely out of my primary (3 man) .... didn't see it).

Judtech Sat Feb 09, 2013 01:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 878059)
Agreed, which is why I simply ask, "are you saying no one else is available?" His answer determines how I move forward.

I was just taking your statement to the next logical step. I knew what you meant, but maybe not everyone else knew the implications of the answer.

Rich Sat Feb 09, 2013 01:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRJ1960 (Post 878060)
We didn't address the initial "T" in our post game... my opinion, for what its worth, was simply that he was unclear on the details of the emphasis this year on elbows. (It was live ball, completely out of my primary (3 man) .... didn't see it).

If it's clearly a live ball situation, you need to get together with your partner at the time. We make rule mistakes as a crew.

26 Year Gap Sat Feb 09, 2013 02:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 878067)
If it's clearly a live ball situation, you need to get together with your partner at the time. We make rule mistakes as a crew.

Had a partner call a T on a hard foul during a live ball last year. R thought it was a good call. I said it had to be flagrant or intentional because it was a live ball foul. "They" decided to stick with the T. Which I knew was incorrect, but sometimes you just need to pick your battles.

DRJ1960 Sat Feb 09, 2013 02:54pm

Quote:

Agreed...
I have a few reasons for not "helping" there... but no excuse:o

Rooster Sat Feb 09, 2013 07:38pm

Quote:

We make rule mistakes as a crew.

I see too many people who forget this.