The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Illegal sub after time-out vs intermission

Following a time-out, before the ball is made live, the table informs you that a player on the court did not report to the table. I believe it is a substitute technical as in 10-2-1.

Is it the same after intermission or between quarters?
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 10:45am
Do not give a damn!!

Not necessarily. It would depend on if they claimed to report the players before the warning horn. I would just play with whomever was last listed to play in the game and not go the T route after halftime. Honestly I am not sure I would give a T in the first situation unless they clearly were trying to pull something.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

As JRut said, by rule it is. Whether you want to give yourself that kind of a headache is another story.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

I was thinking about this at last night's game. On a timeout, I see a student check in as the second horn is blowing. Is it my responsibility to enforce the technical foul, or the scoring table's to inform me?

Thanks,

Ben
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan1981 View Post
I was thinking about this at last night's game. On a timeout, I see a student check in as the second horn is blowing. Is it my responsibility to enforce the technical foul, or the scoring table's to inform me?

Thanks,

Ben

Seems like it would be a lot easier just to not let him come in the game till the next avail opportunity, since he didn't check in on time, if you must take any action.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

No dispute about failure to report. Coach, player, team book and official book all agree and state that player did not report.

There are two parts to the sub technical. One for not reporting and one for not being beckoned. This one is not reporting.

If I understand JRut and JMF, it is a technical in either situation. Would it matter if the official has blown the whistle to begin play following the TO or intermission? By rule. I already know the headaches one can get from this situation.

Last edited by Scratch85; Wed Feb 06, 2013 at 11:16am. Reason: sp
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thanks,

Ben
If they reported, it is not a technical. Just hold them until next opportunity to sub.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch85 View Post
If they reported, it is not a technical. Just hold them until next opportunity to sub.
I have worked 100+ games at a scoring table, and I hold the athlete until the next whistle. Whose responsibility is it? Scoring table, referee, or both?
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have worked 100+ games at a scoring table, and I hold the athlete until the next whistle. Whose responsibility is it? Scoring table, referee, or both?
Referees beckon players into the game. So it is up to the ref whether to hold a player at the table or beckon them into the game. It is the table's responsibility to give the information needed to the ref.

So both. The table needs to let the ref know if the sub has not properly reported, then it is the ref's job to hold them.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Would it matter if the official has blown the whistle to begin play following the TO or intermission? By rule.
Once the ball has become live, it's too late.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 01:11pm
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Referees beckon players into the game. So it is up to the ref whether to hold a player at the table or beckon them into the game. It is the table's responsibility to give the information needed to the ref.

So both. The table needs to let the ref know if the sub has not properly reported, then it is the ref's job to hold them.
Officials don't "hold" players at the table. The players hold themselves until beckoned, or, if they fail to do so, are penalized accordingly.