The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 28, 2012, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member

Intermission Dunking T

Halftime of JV Boys game, A1 dunks the ball, both myself and my partner see it. As we are discussing the appropriate way to call it. Bench T since it is during the intermission, T to the player and an indirect to the coach (with loss of the box), A1 about a minute later dunks again...

I just reread the case play (10.4.1) which says that the official does not sound his whistle. So when do you tell the player and the coach? When the event occurs, or at the end of the intermission?

In the end, we gave 1 T to the player and 1 indirect Tto the coach (with loss of the box).
Old Sat Jan 28, 2012, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

You go inform them right away so that it won't happen again as was the case in your game.
You want to put a stop to it.
Old Sat Jan 28, 2012, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Ask the player to follow you and go to the coach. Ask the player to explain to the coach what he did.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

Watched a game recently where a player dunked in pre-game. Officials did a poor job letting the player and coach know what had happened. A few seconds later, another player dunked. Game started with 4 free throws. The second tech could have been avoided by better communication. If you see the dunk, go quickly and take care of business....Too may times officials sit back scratching their heads, and before you know it, the problem escalates.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

The two previous posts are why I blow my whistle when the dunking infraction occurs. Some officials give a quick "toot" of the whistle as they walk onto the floor...so that everyone knows they are there.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 11:33am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
Some officials give a quick "toot" of the whistle as they walk onto the floor...so that everyone knows they are there.
This is a Texas thing, although some officials may do it in other places. In my opinion goes against the intent of the rule, I would never do it unless directed by my state association. The players and coaches know dunking is illegal in pregame. If they want a dunk competition, let them schedule one.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 11:58am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Ask the player to follow you and go to the coach. Ask the player to explain to the coach what he did.
This is the same approach I used the one time it happened to me.

"Go ahead son, I believe you have something to tell your coach."
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
This is the same approach I used the one time it happened to me.

"Go ahead son, I believe you have something to tell your coach."
Geez, just do your job (TCOB), it is not necessary for the player to incriminate themselves. No where in the rule book does it say the player needs to inform their coach.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
This is a Texas thing, although some officials may do it in other places. In my opinion goes against the intent of the rule, I would never do it unless directed by my state association. The players and coaches know dunking is illegal in pregame. If they want a dunk competition, let them schedule one.
I understand where you're coming from.....think of it a different way: don't we "warn" kids about 3 seconds ("get out", "lane", etc), "warn" kids in the post ("hands", "space", etc.) or give other types of warnings during the game? the kids know those actions are against the rules....so isn't blowng the whistle prior to walking on the court the same thing?

If you feel that this action goes "against the intent of the rule", is there any type of "preventative officiating" that you engage in during a game? and if you do, why is THAT different than this?

just wondering....
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7IronRef View Post
Geez, just do your job (TCOB), it is not necessary for the player to incriminate themselves. No where in the rule book does it say the player needs to inform their coach.
I agree. If you're giving a player a technical because he/she swore at you or an opponent, that's one thing. Let them tell the coach what they said. But if it's a technical for dunking in warm-ups just tell the head coach, tell the table and move on.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
I understand where you're coming from.....think of it a different way: don't we "warn" kids about 3 seconds ("get out", "lane", etc), "warn" kids in the post ("hands", "space", etc.) or give other types of warnings during the game? the kids know those actions are against the rules....so isn't blowng the whistle prior to walking on the court the same thing?

If you feel that this action goes "against the intent of the rule", is there any type of "preventative officiating" that you engage in during a game? and if you do, why is THAT different than this?

just wondering....
Sounding the whistle makes it seem as if dunking is fine before the game as long as the officials are not on the floor. Dunking is never an acceptable act.

There are many times during a game where a player will put his hands on an opponent or not allow him a space. The action could be legal or could be a foul depending on how it is done. The vast majority of the times that a player does these actions he is not trying to foul his opponent. He is attempting to play within the rules. It is a completely different situation than dunking before the game.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 11:28pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7IronRef View Post
Nor does it need to.

I see Bob's and Grunewar's point, as it deals with game management. Instead of dealing with, "aw, do you really gave to call that?", you instead get, "I know what I did was wrong." It removes the heat and goes right to admission.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Nor does it need to.

I see Bob's and Grunewar's point, as it deals with game management. Instead of dealing with, "aw, do you really gave to call that?", you instead get, "I know what I did was wrong." It removes the heat and goes right to admission.
If you can't stand the heat with the coach on a simple pre-game dunk TF, GTFO

or you can always work women's ball
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
Sounding the whistle makes it seem as if dunking is fine before the game as long as the officials are not on the floor. Dunking is never an acceptable act.
I have always wondered about this. Player dunks at a side basket. T????
Old Mon Jan 30, 2012, 12:25am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNucatola View Post
I have always wondered about this. Player dunks at a side basket. T????
For the purposes of the game at hand, a side basket is not a basket. I'd tell them to knock it off.

Lonesome Dove