The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 13, 2009, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Is Blocking below the waist going to be illegal all the time?

I thought that when they started restricting low blocks to the "free blocking zone", then only on the line, etc., etc., that it would eventually end with simply "No blocking below the waist - by anyone, ever".

Anyone else wonder if that is where this is heading?
Old Thu Aug 13, 2009, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkut View Post
I thought that when they started restricting low blocks to the "free blocking zone", then only on the line, etc., etc., that it would eventually end with simply "No blocking below the waist - by anyone, ever".

Anyone else wonder if that is where this is heading?
No. Not heading there. They'll mandate knee braces for linemen first, which we already see in most college games now.
Old Thu Aug 13, 2009, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

I am no expert on the strategy of line play, but would removing the ability to block before the waist in the circumstances it is currently allowed really change the game so much, or give the defense to great an advantage?

I thought not letting backs go low was a pretty big disadvantage - seemed to me like that was almost the only way some small backs had a chance to deal with some end or linebacker. But it hasn't really seemed to have a great impact at the high school level.
Old Thu Aug 13, 2009, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkut View Post
I am no expert on the strategy of line play, but would removing the ability to block before the waist in the circumstances it is currently allowed really change the game so much, or give the defense to great an advantage?
It would make a difference in four circumstances I can think of.

One of them is the use of the "shoeshine" block to slow backside penetration. In the super power toss play from the double wing, the back side guard & tackle pull across. It's left to the center & end to prevent penetration from occurring quickly enough to blow up the play. One way to do that is to have the end "shoeshine" down. The end acts as if he's giving his own center a quick shoeshine -- lunging across in what's also called a "Superman" move. Laying out sideways, he then rolls toward the defense. In a tight formation, this can sometimes trip up two defensive rushers.

However, the defense can return the favor with another use of BBW: tripping up the front of the "train" of the G & T pulling flat thru the neutral zone, which may also allow 1 to take out 2.

Another is a trap block against a too-rapidly penetrating defender. The trapper may not be able to get there in time to make good contact, so instead he lunges. This may result in a clip. It may be illegal under some circumstances because the penetrator has already cleared the neutral zone, but if the trapper catches him in the neutral zone it's OK under current Fed rules. A rarer version of this is a form of peel-back block where the blocker steps to the side to invite the onrushing DL in, then turns around to block him, which may sometimes be done by lunging at the back of his legs.

A fourth is crab blocking. A snapper who has to snap with his head down (to aim for different target points in the single wing and other systems) is often coached to crab to one side to cut off penetration.

If you want to know the consequences of outlawing all BBW, you might want to ask coaches from with experience in the IWFL, where for at least a few years all BBW was outlawed. There are some kiddie leagues where it's outlawed too -- although children may be young enough to regrow knee ligaments that've been torn. I believe that until the epiphyses of the bones close, there's enough circulation to and growth within the joint to allow that.

Robert

Last edited by Robert Goodman; Thu Aug 13, 2009 at 03:45pm.