The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

PreGame Rim Grasp and Pull

I know dunking pre-game is an unsporting technical, and I know that during the game grabbing the rim for a reason other than to prevent injury is a technical, but what about grabbing the rim and pulling it down pre-game? (Player doesn't have ball and pulls/hangs hard enough that backboard shakes quite a while)

I quickly went through the rule book and did not find anything addressing it, but a having a brain fart and may very well be missing it.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 12:49am
Do not give a damn!!

Yes, it is illegal.

10-4-1i

i. Grasping either basket except to prevent injury; dunking or stuffing, or attempting to dunk or stuff a dead ball.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 10:53am
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekent View Post
I know dunking pre-game is an unsporting technical, and I know that during the game grabbing the rim for a reason other than to prevent injury is a technical, but what about grabbing the rim and pulling it down pre-game? (Player doesn't have ball and pulls/hangs hard enough that backboard shakes quite a while)

I quickly went through the rule book and did not find anything addressing it, but a having a brain fart and may very well be missing it.
T will be served.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Yes, it is illegal.

10-4-1i

i. Grasping either basket except to prevent injury; dunking or stuffing, or attempting to dunk or stuff a dead ball.

Peace
Thanks.

What I had seen was 10-3-3 which made me wonder if a T for the lone act of rim grabbing was limited to after the game began.

"Grasp either basket at any time during the game except to prevent injury; ..."
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Gave a technical this year during warmups for this same thing. One kid shot a three, his teammate went up to grab it after it bounced off the rim but missed the ball. As he came down, he grabbed the rim and popped it. It wasn't that bad, but I couldn't really ignore it. The coach ended up sitting him the entire first half. He was not pleased with him.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

When one of these type of technicals occur, how/when do you inform the team of the technical? Do you whistle it, or just inform the table and the coaches of what you have? Never seen one of these called, so I am curious.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 02:39pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Line them up for the jump ball, and just prior to the R tossing the ball up in the air, blow the whistle and give the T signal. Then, you ceremonially look angry.

Honest answer:
Whatever feels comfortable. Personally, I would just walk over to the coach and let him know what #25 just did, and remind him that the free throws come with a loss of the coaching box.
Inform the opposing coach as well, and remind him that he can pick any shooter he wants (even from the bench).
Remind the table that this will count towards the player's five total fouls, and will be added as a team foul as well.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Line them up for the jump ball, and just prior to the R tossing the ball up in the air, blow the whistle and give the T signal. Then, you ceremonially look angry.
When this happened in my game last week, I looked angry, but it certainly wasn't ceremonial.
Old Fri Feb 15, 2013, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Gave a technical this year during warmups for this same thing. One kid shot a three, his teammate went up to grab it after it bounced off the rim but missed the ball. As he came down, he grabbed the rim and popped it. It wasn't that bad, but I couldn't really ignore it. The coach ended up sitting him the entire first half. He was not pleased with him.
If administered correctly, the coach HIMSELF ended up sitting the entire game. Until the game begins, all team members are considered bench personnel so this is assessed as an indirect technical on the head coach and he loses his coaching box privileges for the entire game
Old Fri Feb 15, 2013, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
If administered correctly, the coach HIMSELF ended up sitting the entire game. Until the game begins, all team members are considered bench personnel so this is assessed as an indirect technical on the head coach and he loses his coaching box privileges for the entire game
Yes, it was administered correctly. The head coach sat for the game. Wasn't my first rodeo.
Old Sat Feb 16, 2013, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Inform the opposing coach as well, and remind him that he can pick any shooter he wants (even from the bench).
Does the shooter of the free throws then have to start the game?
Old Sat Feb 16, 2013, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJimmy View Post
Does the shooter of the free throws then have to start the game?
Actually, the shooter did start the game. If you mean does he have to remain in the game following the free throws, the answer is no.
Old Sat Feb 16, 2013, 10:06am
Esteemed Forum Member

Confucius Say ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post
Actually, the shooter did start the game. If you mean does he have to remain in the game following the free throws, the answer is no.
Must sit a tick, don’t have to play a tick.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)