The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

block charge double foul?

I would appreciate some insight from you experienced guys.

Girls 8th grade, both teams are pretty sloppy. Team B pressed aggressively the whole first half and, for the most part, played good, legal defense. I.e. playing close but with hands up. Team A is very untalented except for the tallest girl on the court, A1, who does most of the dribbling and shooting. A1 has broken the press and is driving down my sideline, I'm the T. I get streamlined as B1 slides over to stop the ball. In my opinion, from what I could see, B1 did not have LGP but A1 used her arm to extend and gain separation, causing B1 to fall to the ground. Since I did not see enough contact to be sure, I tried motion for B1 to get up and play on, but of course she started to tear up and A1 stopped and looked at me. I blew my whistle to stop the clock, and everyone in the gym is incredulous, both coaches and fans. I had B1 sub out of the game and we continued play with no foul assessed.

What could/should be done in this situation? Both if I had a foul as soon as it occurred, or if I stopped the game for injury, like I actually did. What could I have done better, besides get the angle between the players? I realize that is the number one mistake I made and something I've really worked hard on this season
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Btw, some of that information was given to me by my partner at halftime, as I could not see what happened between A1 and B1
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

I probably would have had a foul on one or the other..hard to say without being there personally. From the explanation I would probably have called a block on B1. I say that because I am assuming (not seeing in person) that A1 used her arm for protection from the contact caused by B1 and not as an advantage...but again I didn't see it.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah, I realize it's tough to know without seeing it. Thinking back, I guess it's one of those that I should have just gone with what I saw first, which would have been contract by B1 without LGP
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 02:32pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortmoney View Post
Yeah, I realize it's tough to know without seeing it. Thinking back, I guess it's one of those that I should have just gone with what I saw first, which would have been contract by B1 without LGP
From your description, I've probably got a PC foul. Not having LGP doesn't mean A1 gets to push B1 out of the way.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

if they bring an arm up or lower their shoulder, i've got PC.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Somebody had to have something. If your partner had so much information about what happened, why didn't he call something?
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 06:02pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Danger, Danger ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stir22 View Post
Lower their shoulder.
Warning Will Robinson.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Somebody had to have something. If your partner had so much information about what happened, why didn't he call something?
Here was the sequence of events: contact, girl goes down, I motion to play on, pause, whistle. Partner comes over as I'm checking to see if the girl is alright and asks if we should have a double foul, and I figured it was too late then.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stir22 View Post
if they bring an arm up or lower their shoulder, i've got PC.
How many degrees lower does one shoulder have to be then the other?

If you're going to call a charge, call it because a player goes to and through a legal defender...there's nothing illegal in of itself because a player lowers his shoulder.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Jan 31, 2013, 02:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
How many degrees lower does one shoulder have to be then the other?

If you're going to call a charge, call it because a player goes to and through a legal defender...there's nothing illegal in of itself because a player lowers his shoulder.
+1.

And if the defender is moving forward and the offense goes through them, shoulder lowered or not, it is still a block. The responsibility to be in a legal position is on the defender unless the offense is extending their arm out to push off.