The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Kentucky/Ole Miss Video Request

I'm thinking this was about 7:55 second half.

Jim Burr was the calling official.

Ole Miss gets a rebound and my initial reaction was that's a foul on the Kentucky player going underneath the Ole Miss player on the rebound. As that happens the Ole Miss player falls to the ground with clear possession of the ball all the way down, so now I'm thinking travel. Well that's what I get for thinking as neither was called. So I rewind it and upon further review when the Ole Miss player fell to the floor he was half way out of bounds and you guessed it, no call.

Play on boys we're going the other way. 2 wrongs don't make a right so what about 3 wrongs?

I just started scratching my head then flipped back over to US Of Bacon.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOofficial View Post
I'm thinking this was about 7:55 second half.

Jim Burr was the calling official.

Ole Miss gets a rebound and my initial reaction was that's a foul on the Kentucky player going underneath the Ole Miss player on the rebound. As that happens the Ole Miss player falls to the ground with clear possession of the ball all the way down, so now I'm thinking travel. Well that's what I get for thinking as neither was called. So I rewind it and upon further review when the Ole Miss player fell to the floor he was half way out of bounds and you guessed it, no call.

Play on boys we're going the other way. 2 wrongs don't make a right so what about 3 wrongs?

I just started scratching my head then flipped back over to US Of Bacon.
I saw that....at a minimum two calls were missed (the travel and the OOB). Even if he judged the player wasn't holding the ball when he fell (he was holding it) there is no reason to ignore a guy clearly laying such that a good part of his arm and shoulder were OOB.

If he wanted to not call a foul and let a little bit go, I can see that. But things that obvious, you really can't ignore those...you must take a step back and get the foul if the foul causes that.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 02:14pm
Courageous When Prudent

In NCAA an airborne player can fall to the ground and it is not travelling. I believe there is a subtle difference in how the travelling rules are written between NFHS and NCAA that accounts for this. I'll have to look it up later if someone else doesn't beat me to it.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
In NCAA an airborne player can fall to the ground and it is not travelling. I believe there is a subtle difference in how the travelling rules are written between NFHS and NCAA that accounts for this. I'll have to look it up later if someone else doesn't beat me to it.
4-72-6
It is traveling when a player falls to the playing court while holding the ball without maintaining a pivot foot.

I know in the NBA you are allowed to fall to the court but I'd never heard that for NCAA
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 02:44pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOofficial View Post
4-72-6
It is traveling when a player falls to the playing court while holding the ball without maintaining a pivot foot.
An airborne player has not yet established a pivot foot, so there is no pivot foot to maintain.

In fact, by rule, I don't see why it is travelling in the NFHS. But when doing HS I call it a travel and when doing college rule set I no-call it.

Last edited by Raymond; Wed Jan 30, 2013 at 02:51pm.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 02:46pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
I believe that only applies to an airborne player who falls directly to the floor without landing on their feet first. If they land awkwardly on their feet (foot) and then go to the ground, it should be a travel.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Two plays from this game:

First play and one I was going to post myself:

Illegal screen or pushing foul for going through the screener?

Second play and the one the OP asked for:

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 02:57pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
I believe that only applies to an airborne player who falls directly to the floor without landing on their feet first. If they land awkwardly on their feet (foot) and then go to the ground, it should be a travel.
Agreed. But in HS we call a travel even if the feet don't hit the ground, correct?
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 02:59pm
Medium Kahuna

Play 1: I like the pushing foul on the defender.

Play 2: Wow. Hard to tell about the foul from the angle, but not hard to tell about the travel or OOB. And where the heck was the L going?
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 03:01pm
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Agreed. But in HS we call a travel even if the feet don't hit the ground, correct?
NFHS 4-44-5: "A player holding the ball:
a. May not touch the floor with a knee or any other part of the body other than
hand or foot."
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 03:01pm
NFHS Official

Play 1--illegal screen to me.

Play 2--I would go with a foul on blue, and if no foul, definately travel or out of bounds. Has to be something on this.

Last edited by OKREF; Wed Jan 30, 2013 at 03:37pm.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 03:08pm
Eschew obfuscation.

Play 1 - I would've liked to have seen an illegal screen called here, but I can understand why the T would only be able to see the push. The L had no one between him and this play, and he needs to see and call the illegal screen. The bucket definitely counts with what was called though.

Play 2 - He was definitely pushed, and it caused him to go to the ground. If a foul isn't called here, the travel or OOB should have been. I can see getting away without calling a travel if the official passed on the foul, but the OOB is too obvious...
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
Play 1--illegal screen to me.

Play 2--I might go with a foul on blue, and if no foul, definately travel or out of bounds. Has to be something on this.
Agree on both counts.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 03:14pm
Courageous When Prudent

Play #1: Either an illegal screen or it was a pushing foul on B1 PRIOR to A2 starting his habitual shooting motion.

Play #2: Can't tell if there is a push, but there is definitely a travel and an OOB violation.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeschmit View Post
Play 1 - I would've liked to have seen an illegal screen called here, but I can understand why the T would only be able to see the push. The L had no one between him and this play, and he needs to see and call the illegal screen. The bucket definitely counts with what was called though.
I was also going to bring this up...I also think the lead needs to get this play. Not sure what he was concentrating on.

On play two, I have an undercut by the defender.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.