The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 29, 2013, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srp6977 View Post
That is a crappy partner. You did it exactly correct. I actually had this happen at a college camp last year and both clinicians said- you offer the information to your partner and let him do with it what he wants. But there should be absolutely no problem from him in that you offered the information. Sounds like an insecure official to me.
Agreed. I've been on both ends of this where I have brought the information and where information was brought to me. "Did you see that he passed the ball?" "No, I didn't. Spot foul."

If the calling official decides to stay with 2 shots for whatever reason then fine but nothing wrong with bringing info.

And I have always been taught that it can't be a shooting foul if the player passes the ball. I can understand the other side but don't agree with it, even with a 12 year old case play.

The people I work for insist that if a player passes the ball, it can't be a shooting foul. So that's what I go with it.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2013, 11:29am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
This discussion isn't going to change what I do. You go up for a shot, get fouled and decide to pass the ball then you aren't getting a shooting foul. If you go up, get fouled, then fling it at the basket then I'm giving you 2 shots. If you go up, get fouled, come back down with the ball then I have judge your intent and most likely I'm going to give you 2 shots.
Exactly my position.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 29, 2013, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
2000-2001 Interps Supplement:

SITUATION 3: A1 is in the act of shooting and is fouled by B1. The contact by B1 throws A1 off balance and in an effort to make a play A1 passes off to teammate A2 instead of proceeding through with an off-balance shot. The official rules that the pass-off by A1 is not a factor as it was not the original intent and only the result of the contact by B1. RULING: A1 is awarded two free throws for the foul committed by B1. COMMENT: Provided the official deems that A1 was in the act of shooting when fouled (the player had begun the motion which habitually precedes the release of the ball for a try), the subsequent pass-off is ignored. (4-40-3; 4-40-1; Summary of Penalties #5)
That pretty must settles it. This interp lays it out in black and white with no ambiguity. Anyone that thinks "shot" when the player goes up but calls no-shot after they change to a pass after the foul is just being a wuss and not wanting to make the right call.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2013, 01:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
That pretty must settles it. This interp lays it out in black and white with no ambiguity. Anyone that thinks "shot" when the player goes up but calls no-shot after they change to a pass after the foul is just being a wuss and not wanting to make the right call.
I do not know anyone that makes a call other than a rookie or someone without much experience that makes a determination based the minute or second a foul is called? And the interpretation (old) also said if the official determines the player was shooting. Well I do not think they are shooting when they pass the ball. I have yet to see that play would even make me rethink that position on a play.

And save the "being a wuss" comments. I can tell you I award a lot of shots and get crap for them because people do not realize that the NBA rule and NCAA and NF rule on continuous motion are exactly the same. It is not about getting crap on one call when this issue usually brings a lot more crap when you award a shot or count the basket on a clearly continuous motion issue.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 29, 2013, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

An interpretation is only "old" if it's been superceded, which this one has not.

Regarding only rookies making this call, I saw this called a shooting foul in the Univ of Texas game just last week. Coach complained a little, but it appeared to me to be easily the right call. Guy was going up for a shot, was fouled pretty hard from about a 135 degree angle, and as he was falling saw a teammate at the 3 pt arc, and sort of shoved it over there.

And this is certainly not the ONLY time I'd seen a shooting foul called when no shot managed to get out of the shooter's hands.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Jan 29, 2013, 02:07pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
An interpretation is only "old" if it's been superceded, which this one has not.
True, and it is unlikely to be superceded when it states what is obvious.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Jan 29, 2013, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA and NBA...you're going to see that, more often then not, called a foul and judged to be no shot and on the pass off. Heck, NCAA even added a signal to indicate no shot due to a pass off.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Jan 29, 2013, 02:09pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post

Regarding only rookies making this call, I saw this called a shooting foul in the Univ of Texas game just last week. Coach complained a little, but it appeared to me to be easily the right call. Guy was going up for a shot, was fouled pretty hard from about a 135 degree angle, and as he was falling saw a teammate at the 3 pt arc, and sort of shoved it over there.

And this is certainly not the ONLY time I'd seen a shooting foul called when no shot managed to get out of the shooter's hands.
Well I hope he enjoys his GV schedule.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2013, 02:21pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
True, and it is unlikely to be superceded when it states what is obvious.
If it is so obvious then why is not done universally your way?
Old Tue Jan 29, 2013, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Anyone that thinks "shot" when the player goes up but calls no-shot after they change to a pass after the foul is just being a wuss and not wanting to make the right call.
It's not about being a "wuss." We've all been out there and made the decision on the fly. The case reference you cite says "...provided the official deems that A1 was in the act of shooting." I may think A1 is going to shoot when he/she goes into the habitual motion but if A1 passes the ball can't that create doubt in my mind as to what they planned to do? If the kid creates doubt, then they're not getting the FTs.

As JRut said earlier, if they want the FTs, shoot the darn ball. If they're able to release the ball, it's hard to give them the FTs if they purposely pass it to a teammate.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Tue Jan 29, 2013, 02:38pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

So when a player gets fouled, and we hold our whistle for a moment as we judge the play, you expect the player to throw up a circus shot just in case we call the foul?
Old Tue Jan 29, 2013, 02:39pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
As JRut said earlier, if they want the FTs, shoot the darn ball. If they're able to release the ball, it's hard to give them the FTs if they purposely pass it to a teammate.
So, a player starts their normal shooting motion, gets hammered, official has a whistle. The offensive player isn't able to release the ball. Are you saying they aren't in the act of shooting? IMO if they begin their shooting motion and get fouled, it is a shooting foul. .
Old Tue Jan 29, 2013, 02:47pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
If it is so obvious then why is not done universally your way?

Because, in this case, what some people do is contrary to the written rule.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Jan 29, 2013, 02:59pm
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Well I hope he enjoys his GV schedule.
I guess we need an "inside joke" smilie.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2013, 02:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
NCAA and NBA...you're going to see that, more often then not, called a foul and judged to be no shot and on the pass off. Heck, NCAA even added a signal to indicate no shot due to a pass off.
You beat me to that statement.

Peace