The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 19, 2007, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Voice communication with partner

It was suggested we might need a separate topic for this, so here goes.

I believe it is very appropriate to communicate vocally with your partner - but not if the ball is on the ground.

If you yell "Ball's on the ground" while your partner is giving the big sell overhand out, you've got PROBLEMS. If you have a situation like this, IMHO it is much better to NOT say anything, let your partner make his call, and if it needs fixing, go about it the proper way.

Just flashed how this could be even worse. Grounder to third, throw is offline on the HP side of 1B. 1B makes big stretch, almost gets it, ball trickles out. You want to help your partner, so you holler "Ball's out."

Then 1B somehow regains possession before the B/R attains 1B. Your partner can't see the 1B regain possession, but he has heard you say "Ball's out." He gives the big sell safe.

After the huge argument, you have to fix the call, and now b/r is out. Now you have an even bigger argument. That's TWO calls you have to eat, AND you have no credibility in the eyes of either of those coaches -- and your partner's debriefing after the game will sound much like the dialogue of Joe Schultz in Ball Four.
Old Thu Apr 19, 2007, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones

I believe it is very appropriate to communicate vocally with your partner - but not if the ball is on the ground.

If you yell "Ball's on the ground" while your partner is giving the big sell overhand out, you've got PROBLEMS. If you have a situation like this, IMHO it is much better to NOT say anything, let your partner make his call, and if it needs fixing, go about it the proper way.

Just flashed how this could be even worse. Grounder to third, throw is offline on the HP side of 1B. 1B makes big stretch, almost gets it, ball trickles out. You want to help your partner, so you holler "Ball's out."

Then 1B somehow regains possession before the B/R attains 1B. Your partner can't see the 1B regain possession, but he has heard you say "Ball's out." He gives the big sell safe.

After the huge argument, you have to fix the call, and now b/r is out. Now you have an even bigger argument. That's TWO calls you have to eat, AND you have no credibility in the eyes of either of those coaches -- and your partner's debriefing after the game will sound much like the dialogue of Joe Schultz in Ball Four.
Timing....
Old Thu Apr 19, 2007, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

That's not a communication issue, but rather an issue of trying to make/force a call much too early! There's a very important reason why we are supposed to show/have a pronounced pause between the occurrence of the play and the call of the play.

Do the words "voluntary release" come to the mind of anyone other than me in this instance?

I made up some simple rhymes when I was a rookie, and I teach them to any new member that comes along.

"If the ball's on the ground, keep your hands and voice down".

Stuff like that.
Old Thu Apr 19, 2007, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

It's very simple, if it's not your call keep your mouth shut.

Do you really work with partner's that offer information on calls like mentioned above? If so, sounds like your association needs to do some training.
Old Thu Apr 19, 2007, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPRempe
That's not a communication issue, but rather an issue of trying to make/force a call much too early! There's a very important reason why we are supposed to show/have a pronounced pause between the occurrence of the play and the call of the play.

Do the words "voluntary release" come to the mind of anyone other than me in this instance?

I made up some simple rhymes when I was a rookie, and I teach them to any new member that comes along.

"If the ball's on the ground, keep your hands and voice down".

Stuff like that.
How about this one? "When in doubt call them out"
Old Thu Apr 19, 2007, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme
How about this one? "When in doubt call them out"

I call that terrible training...
Old Thu Apr 19, 2007, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well, take down all those umpire's plaques in the ASA Hall of Fame, 'cause I doubt any of them have never used this term during a clinic.

JR, if you did not recognize this, it is called, "umpire humor".
Old Thu Apr 19, 2007, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But it is a "simple" rhyme

Do you have your "rookies" sing along? Maybe a group recital?

Okay class..... Repeat after me: "When the ball is down, keep your voice and arms down" "Don't make the call too soon or you might look like a buffoon" "If you don't call lots of strikes, we'll never get home" wait that doesn't rhyme does it?
Old Thu Apr 19, 2007, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Well, take down all those umpire's plaques in the ASA Hall of Fame, 'cause I doubt any of them have never used this term during a clinic.

JR, if you did not recognize this, it is called, "umpire humor".

I know it's humor, but it's only funny when it's not true. We still have some "holdouts" in my association that still recite this mantra daily...and it drives me up the darn wall!
Old Thu Apr 19, 2007, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But it is a "simple" rhyme

Do you have your "rookies" sing along? Maybe a group recital?

Okay class..... Repeat after me: "When the ball is down, keep your voice and arms down" "Don't make the call too soon or you might look like a buffoon" "If you don't call lots of strikes, we'll never get home" wait that doesn't rhyme does it?
Sort of Group training is g2g!

I could probably make a rhyme about anything! It is rather silly/childish, but for some reason it works.
Old Thu Apr 19, 2007, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's very simple, if it's not your call keep your mouth shut.

Do you really work with partner's that offer information on calls like mentioned above? If so, sounds like your association needs to do some training.
No, I don't work with any partners like that, and I know of no one in our association who does that. As I said in the very first sentence of the OP, it was suggested in another thread that we make this a separate topic. The other thread was being hijacked, hence starting this one.

As far as timing goes, yes, timing is very important. That's why Wild Bill started what we call "DCP." If you make a double call (safe/out or out/safe) it costs you $1. The money goes into the "pizza" fund. We enjoy ratting each other out and razzing folks...but it has served a GREAT purpose -- work on your timing.
Old Thu Apr 19, 2007, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As far as timing goes, yes, timing is very important. That's why Wild Bill started what we call "DCP." If you make a double call (safe/out or out/safe) it costs you $1. The money goes into the "pizza" fund. We enjoy ratting each other out and razzing folks...but it has served a GREAT purpose -- work on your timing.
Now John, we've had some clarifications - call them Luau-isms - here in Pa. There is no such thing as the double call of "out/safe". It's a triple call - "out/sh!t/safe" Sometimes the call is "out/safe/sh!t" - but the important thing is that if you must use two of those words in a call, you know the third is coming.
Old Thu Apr 19, 2007, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

We've all made those stupid "out/safe" calls at one time or another.
Of course--timing---see the play THEN make a call is crucial.
I would never accept verbal communication on those as good
mechanics. If anything use a visual signal such as pointing to the ground
if your partner gives you the "deer in the headlights" look !
Old Thu Apr 19, 2007, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
-- and your partner's debriefing after the game will sound much like the dialogue of Joe Schultz in Ball Four.
This is my favorite part of the post - as this is my favorite book. I can just imagine the use of the two major expletives, in all of their possible combinations. (and also being muttered with a mouthful of a grinder)
Old Thu Apr 19, 2007, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoot
This is my favorite part of the post - as this is my favorite book. I can just imagine the use of the two major expletives, in all of their possible combinations. (and also being muttered with a mouthful of a grinder)
Fit shuck, let's pound some Budweisers.

The place where the Pilots played is now a Lowe's lumber yard - store - whatever. But there is a plaque in the parking lot where home plate was located.

There was a lot of GOOD ball played at Sick's Seattle Stadium. One of the greatest men's fastpitch championship tournaments was played there.