The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 27, 2013, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwv001 View Post
... I told the coach that either he could keep this player on the bench the rest of the night voluntarily, or I would see that he didn't come back in, and if I had to do that he was going to lose him for the next two games as well.
Something like that could very much come back to haunt you. You were very fortunate the coach wanted to get him out of the game. It's way too much of a threat.

I would NOT suggest this approach for anyone.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Jan 27, 2013, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I told the coach that either he could keep this player on the bench the rest of the night voluntarily, or I would see that he didn't come back in, and if I had to do that he was going to lose him for the next two games as well.
That's a good way to get a less-than-happy call from your assigner after the game. The kid was already being taken out. Let the coach handle it. If he puts him back in and the kid does something dumb then you and your partner deal with it.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sun Jan 27, 2013, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I did something last week along these lines, that i had never done before.

In the 4th quarter of a highly anticipated rivalry game, that had turned into a 20+ point blowout, out of frustration a kid from the losing team committed a very hard foul, which bordered on being flagrant. I immediately signalled intentional, and went by the bench as I was going to report. Fortunately, the coach was already sending a sub to the table, but I told the coach that either he could keep this player on the bench the rest of the night voluntarily, or I would see that he didn't come back in, and if I had to do that he was going to lose him for the next two games as well. The coach told me he was done for the night, and maybe the next two anyway!
What happens if the coach takes him out, waits until you report the foul, then decides to put him back in a little bit later?

Your fortunate the coach didn't take your threats the wrong way.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.