The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Season turning around, might be “getting there.”

Earlier this seasson dsqrddgd909 started a thread about getting worse and I was definitely in that camp.

Anyone get worse after the first few years?

I'm a 3rd year guy and I felt like I was going backward too. My preliminary (freshman and JV) games were going too long. There were too many fouls according to my observers, causing the varsity games to start late. Coaches were getting frustrated, and I felt like I was being a jerk to the players.

About halfway through the season I had a real bad game that had us shooting the double bonus late in the second quarter and then again late in the third. I was trying to implement the idea of players making the adjustment to what we were calling but it wasn't working. We had exactly zero flow. Both defenses were really aggressive and kept thumping each other and in my mind no one was making the adjustment to what we were calling. One varsity official was pretty unhappy about the late start and said some difficult things to accept. This had me asking myself some real tough questions after the game about whether or not I am cut out for officiating. But I kept mulling and reflecting on what he said and worked it into my game and as difficult as it was to hear, I think it was a turning point in my season and a move in the right direction for my officiating. It is starting to go forward again. I let the players play a little more and have found that I don’t have to go get so much (in my primary, of course )

Last night’s games went well. One was a blowout that I think my partner and I handled well. The foul count was good, 5-2 in the first half and 9-6 in the second. NO double bonus. We had good communication between us and I made some good game management calls that came from applying what I think were appropriate filters. The coaches who seemed fiery and belligerent at the beginning of the game behaved themselves.

The second game was an evenly matched game that had plenty of back and forth and I was enjoying it. It seemed to me that I was “feeling” the game. For example, I got straight-lined, and rather than realizing after playing it back in my head as I’ve done in the past, I felt it and made adjustments during the game. I “only” got straight-lined one more time (I think…).

Coaches from both sides squawked a few times and I responded with the “I hear ya, coach.” or “I’ll look for it coach.” I got quick nods from both, with no facial contortions, and they turned back to their players. Woo hoo! My partner and I had a double whistle where he had a held ball and I had a foul before the held ball. We got together and went with the foul. Coach squawked and I explained quickly that his player had the other by the arm before the tie-up and coach said “Oh, ok.” and quickly turned his attention back to his players. Woo double hoo! One team’s player protesteth much, but not so much as to warrant a T, and I talked to the coach about him. He pulled the player out and three plays later told another kid “Keep your mouth closed!” We got in the bonus with about 1:30 left in the game because one team started to pull away and the other started fouling. The varsity game started right at 7pm!

Overall I think I was much less part of the game and instead just happened to have the best seats in the house for a good game. I felt like I was in the right place at the right time and I was even in position for the next play. The game seems to be slowing down a bit, opening up a bit, and becoming much more enjoyable. A far cry from where I was a month ago...

Thanks for reading. I'd be glad to get the perspective of anyone who want to share it.

Last edited by Rooster; Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 04:37pm.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 04:49pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Now Let Me Tell You What I Really Think ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rooster View Post
One varsity official was pretty unhappy about the late start and said some difficult things to accept.
Too bad for him. Shame on him. If he's giving constructive criticism because he believes that you're charging too many fouls for, what should be, incidental contact, fine. If he's concerned about the late starting time, well, I know that you can't do it, but I would tell him to shut up. Some fouls just have to be called, some subvarsity games get sloppy, some coaches request a whole bunch of timeouts, some players may occasionally get hurt, and some games go into overtime (unless Mark Padgett is your partner). I would tell him to suck it up, and just be ready when his game starts, and not to worry about what time your game is ending. Maybe when you hang around to observe his game, tell him not to call too many fouls because you want to get home in time to kiss your kids goodnight. Now, any questions on where I stand on this?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 04:53pm.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 05:30pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Earlier this seasson dsqrddgd909 started a thread about getting worse and I was definitely in that camp.

Anyone get worse after the first few years?

I'm a 3rd year guy and I felt like I was going backward too. My preliminary (freshman and JV) games were going too long. There were too many fouls according to my observers, causing the varsity games to start late. Coaches were getting frustrated, and I felt like I was being a jerk to the players.

About halfway through the season I had a real bad game that had us shooting the double bonus late in the second quarter and then again late in the third. I was trying to implement the idea of players making the adjustment to what we were calling but it wasn't working. We had exactly zero flow. Both defenses were really aggressive and kept thumping each other and in my mind no one was making the adjustment to what we were calling. One varsity official was pretty unhappy about the late start and said some difficult things to accept. This had me asking myself some real tough questions after the game about whether or not I am cut out for officiating. But I kept mulling and reflecting on what he said and worked it into my game and as difficult as it was to hear, I think it was a turning point in my season and a move in the right direction for my officiating. It is starting to go forward again. I let the players play a little more and have found that I don’t have to go get so much (in my primary, of course )

Last night’s games went well. One was a blowout that I think my partner and I handled well. The foul count was good, 5-2 in the first half and 9-6 in the second. NO double bonus. We had good communication between us and I made some good game management calls that came from applying what I think were appropriate filters. The coaches who seemed fiery and belligerent at the beginning of the game behaved themselves.

The second game was an evenly matched game that had plenty of back and forth and I was enjoying it. It seemed to me that I was “feeling” the game. For example, I got straight-lined, and rather than realizing after playing it back in my head as I’ve done in the past, I felt it and made adjustments during the game. I “only” got straight-lined one more time (I think…).

Coaches from both sides squawked a few times and I responded with the “I hear ya, coach.” or “I’ll look for it coach.” I got quick nods from both, with no facial contortions, and they turned back to their players. Woo hoo! My partner and I had a double whistle where he had a held ball and I had a foul before the held ball. We got together and went with the foul. Coach squawked and I explained quickly that his player had the other by the arm before the tie-up and coach said “Oh, ok.” and quickly turned his attention back to his players. Woo double hoo! One team’s player protesteth much, but not so much as to warrant a T, and I talked to the coach about him. He pulled the player out and three plays later told another kid “Keep your mouth closed!” We got in the bonus with about 1:30 left in the game because one team started to pull away and the other started fouling. The varsity game started right at 7pm!

Overall I think I was much less part of the game and instead just happened to have the best seats in the house for a good game. I felt like I was in the right place at the right time and I was even in position for the next play. The game seems to be slowing down a bit, opening up a bit, and becoming much more enjoyable. A far cry from where I was a month ago...

Thanks for reading. I'd be glad to get the perspective of anyone who want to share it.
Monday night we had one team in the double bonus with 3 minutes left in the third quarter. Guess that guy who gave it to you would think I suck. We can only call the game in front of us.

You're using foul count and the satisfaction of the varsity official and his starting time as a barometer and that's not the right measuring stick. (That guy would be most thrilled if you called zero fouls and there was a bloodbath cause the varsity game could then start 10 minutes early.)

You need to get a feel for which contact is incidental and which contact isn't. You don't get that from looking at the scoreboard. That's as bad as a coach telling you the fouls are 8-2.

Some nights I've had the fewest fouls in the area and some nights I've had the most.

The main reason we don't start varsity games on time is that the preliminary game is started too late to comfortably accommodate the schedule.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
You need to get a feel for which contact is incidental and which contact isn't. You don't get that from looking at the scoreboard. That's as bad as a coach telling you the fouls are 8-2.
I agree and that's why I had a hard time accepting what he was saying about the foul count. I felt like the fouls my partner and I were getting was keeping us out of a fighting situation. I guess he saw it differently. I also had an observer get on me because I wasn't enforcing the shirts being tucked when I had already given a flagrant foul.

My main point is that I'm kinda getting out of what was a comfort zone and letting 'em play through more, which may be bearing fruit.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 05:43pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I agree and that's why I had a hard time accepting what he was saying about the foul count. I felt like the fouls my partner and I were getting was keeping us out of a fighting situation. I guess he saw it differently. I also had an observer get on me because I wasn't enforcing the shirts being tucked when I had already given a flagrant foul.

My main point is that I'm kinda getting out of what was a comfort zone and letting 'em play through more, which may be bearing fruit.
I won't argue with that -- one of the phases of officiating is "calling everything" which usually follows "calling nothing." It's getting past those two phases and then learning to make quick judgments of which to call and which not to call that's the next step. From there's it's just trying to improve upon that, which will last the rest of your career.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

Anyone got some more of that Kool Aid?

Quote:
From there's it's just trying to improve upon that, which will last the rest of your career.
I think this is the hook buried inside my cheek.

I tell people it's like surfing on a waterfall. Officials are the only ones who seem to know what I'm talking about.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 07:30pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
..... and some games go into overtime (unless Mark Padgett is your partner).
Just FYI, I told my heart surgeon not to let my surgery go into overtime. Fortunately, he didn't.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2013, 07:37am
Esteemed Forum Member

Family Reunion ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
I told my heart surgeon not to let my surgery go into overtime. Fortunately, he didn't.
Did you ever get to meet the family of the pig that donated his heart to you?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Jan 24, 2013, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Did you ever get to meet the family of the pig that donated his heart to you?
They probably had dinner together....
Old Thu Jan 24, 2013, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I won't argue with that -- one of the phases of officiating is "calling everything" which usually follows "calling nothing." It's getting past those two phases and then learning to make quick judgments of which to call and which not to call that's the next step. From there's it's just trying to improve upon that, which will last the rest of your career.
For me it was call nothing for the first couple of games, then moved into call everything, then back to call nothing and now after about 25 games I'm comfortably in the call what should be called with occasional call a bit too much or not enough mixed in.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2013, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosie74 View Post
and now after about 25 games I'm comfortably in the call what should be called

That's about 10 times (SWAG) faster than average.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2013, 09:36am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I'm with you, Bob.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2013, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Let's see ....looking at my games reffed log....240 games ....yep 250 seems about right. In only 10 more games I will be calling what should be called.

Last edited by dsqrddgd909; Thu Jan 24, 2013 at 10:34am.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2013, 10:34am
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Had to look that one up. Here are my favorite 10 meanings from acronymfinder.com:

Scientific Wild Åss Guess
Semantic Web Agreement Group
Stolen Without A Gun
Studies in Women and Gender
Souvenirs, Wearables And Gifts
Sold Without A Guarantee
Sour Water And Gas
Southern Women Aging Gracefully
Sleeping with a Ginger
Secretly We Are Gay

I'm pretty sure I know which one Bob had in mind.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2013, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I mean that I am at the point where I can call a foul because there was a foul, not because there was contact so their must be a foul.

My game is far from perfect and I do need a lot of work but I'm just at that point where can call something based on what happened as opposed to what I think happened.