The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 20, 2013, 11:21am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I do too. I believe he went to O'Fallon High School and two former partners of mine worked that school at the Pekin Sectional against Normal Community High School. I believe Jones was a Junior at the time. I did not watch him and think this is where he would be in his career. It is great he is doing well, but that is Illinois basketball for you too.

Peace
I've followed a few players through their big-time college and NBA careers.

One that sticks in my mind (because it was a game I worked when Chris Duhon was a freshman or sophomore in HS) -- it was the year I lived in (and plotted my escape from) Slidell, LA. The game was something like 93-87 and we worked it 2-man. Never ran so hard on a court before or since.

Hard to believe that was 15+ years ago now.
Old Sun Jan 20, 2013, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

The only thing that I "might" even consider entertaining is the contact during the throw-in. But that's nothing.

The 2nd part? Not even close to an offensive foul (and I'm being diplomatic in saying that). I don't know what in the heck you're talking about when you say the dribbler somehow "dipped his shoulder" (and this is a term I hate hearing from officials...it's in the same vein as claiming a defender that blocks a shot got the player "with the body."). That's not a foul in the NBA, NCAA, high school, middle school, elementary school school, etc.

Also, no game would be "better" if it was called 100 percent by the book...no sport is. But that doesn't even apply on this play because all the contact seen in this play is incidental contact, which is in the rule book.

Honestly, I'd expect such a bad call to be suggested and justified by a fan of the losing team.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Last edited by APG; Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 11:28am.
Old Sun Jan 20, 2013, 11:54am
Keeper of the HAMMER

You are certainly free to disagree with their judgment with regard to what contact is incidental, but claiming they aren't calling it by the rules because you disagree is nothing more than hubris.
Old Sun Jan 20, 2013, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Appears on the inbound pass the offensive player initially "posted up" the defense expecting the high pass, then made two quick steps likely attempting to make space for a bounce pass. Then the high pass went to where he was and he was out of position. It doesn't appear the contact by the defender would have caused that much movement, so most if not all was on the offense.
Old Sun Jan 20, 2013, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I only saw the end. A foul on either the inbounds pass or the drive never once entered my mind and wouldn't have ever entered my mind if I hadn't seen this thread today.

These are not fouls at the college level or high school level or any other level. Contact is not a foul.
+1

But the complaining is much more "entertaining" than praising the officials for getting the travel call on the inbounds just prior to that.
Old Sun Jan 20, 2013, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
+1

But the complaining is much more "entertaining" than praising the officials for getting the travel call on the inbounds just prior to that.
Travel call on the inbounds?
Old Sun Jan 20, 2013, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
Travel call on the inbounds?
Butler inbounds form endline. Player who catches ball travels as he starts his dribble. THat sets up the Gonzaga inbound we've been watching.
Old Sun Jan 20, 2013, 01:06pm
We don't rent pigs

ALL the fans:HE DIPPED HIS SHOULDER!

Official: So what?

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Jan 20, 2013, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
all the fans:he dipped his shoulder!

official: So what?
+1000!
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Sun Jan 20, 2013, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drofficial View Post
My point exactly: When a defender leans and leans, and then clearly pushes with an extended arm, we now call that "incidental contact" simply because the offended player does not fall to the floor. And we wonder why we have trouble with flopping.

When we have bodies on the floor, we have to call something. But if we have an obvious push and the player does not fall down, it's incidental contact. Think of the foolishness of that philosophy.
When I viewed the clip, I was expecting something big. I'm still looking.

You are out to lunch on this one.
Old Sun Jan 20, 2013, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Is this the right video? I can't find anything in it that matches the claims of drofficial?
Old Sun Jan 20, 2013, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
When I watch the video, I hear the buzzer at 0.8 or 0.7 seconds remaining. Anyone else experience that?
I noticed that too. I tried to freeze it as best as I could and it looked like the horn went off AND the red light came on with about 0.5 on the clock. Very odd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drofficial View Post
Of course, no "good official" would ever call either one in that case.
Of course, no "good official" would've ever called the travel on the Butler inbounds play, either...
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)

Last edited by JetMetFan; Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 03:16pm.
Old Sun Jan 20, 2013, 03:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
ALL the fans:HE DIPPED HIS SHOULDER!

Official: So what?
Had that cry in a college game yesterday and basically that is what I said to a player.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 20, 2013, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=JetMetFan;873295]I noticed that too. I tried to freeze it as best as I could and it looked like the horn went off AND the red light came on with about 0.5 on the clock. Very odd.

Are you looking at the clock above the backboard, or the "clock" on the espn score display at the bottom of the screen? Only the former counts -- the second is just there for information. If you watch a game closely, you can see the "espn clock" reset several times during the game to match what's correct.

Even in arenas where this is syncronized, there's a slight but appreciable delay.
Old Sun Jan 20, 2013, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post

Are you looking at the clock above the backboard, or the "clock" on the espn score display at the bottom of the screen? Only the former counts -- the second is just there for information. If you watch a game closely, you can see the "espn clock" reset several times during the game to match what's correct.

Even in arenas where this is syncronized, there's a slight but appreciable delay.
During most telecasts, the official clocks and the one on TV overlays are off by .1-.3 seconds. One can really see this during NBA games when the shot clock gets under 5 seconds when tenths of a second are on the clock.

As to the clip, I think the sound and video are a little bit off sync. Oh and this is still not a foul...NBA, NCAA, HS, MS, etc.