The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Officials Who Think They Are too good

I have only been officiating for four years but I am getting sick and tired of working with officials who think they are too good for any level other than varsity games. I try to work the game properly no matter what level. All the way from proper mechanics, to switching, holding a coaches/captains meeting and etc... Several times this year (and in past years too) I have worked with guys who come to the game 15 minutes prior to the start time, go directly to the floor dressed, don't want to pre-game in any form, refuse to stand out on the floor before the game, refuse to have a coaches/captains meeting, switch when they are supposed to, tell me not to call too many fouls before we even start the game because they have some place to be but at the same time tell me what great officials they are. When I hear this kind of crap, I really want to ask them why they are working these games at all with this kind of an attidute, but I was raised to have respect for others so I go with the flow and basically force them into doing things the right way (as much as I can). I know the area assigners pretty well but don't want to rat out anyone. I would think that area assigners would want to get rid of some of these guys because it does no one any good. Just Venting. Worked with someone like that yesterday.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophat67 View Post
I know the area assigners pretty well but don't want to rat out anyone.
If they don't know there is a problem, how do you expect them to solve it?
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
If they don't know there is a problem, how do you expect them to solve it?
This is a very sensitive topic around here. Most officials with whom I work (varsity and college) have said they will not volunteer information to an assignor. I have never agreed with that...sharing the view you state. But it does seem to be the expectation.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 03:35pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
I have only been officiating for four years but I am getting sick and tired of working with officials who think they are too good for any level other than varsity games. I try to work the game properly no matter what level. All the way from proper mechanics, to switching, holding a coaches/captains meeting and etc... Several times this year (and in past years too) I have worked with guys who come to the game 15 minutes prior to the start time, go directly to the floor dressed, don't want to pre-game in any form, refuse to stand out on the floor before the game, refuse to have a coaches/captains meeting, switch when they are supposed to, tell me not to call too many fouls before we even start the game because they have some place to be but at the same time tell me what great officials they are. When I hear this kind of crap, I really want to ask them why they are working these games at all with this kind of an attidute, but I was raised to have respect for others so I go with the flow and basically force them into doing things the right way (as much as I can). I know the area assigners pretty well but don't want to rat out anyone. I would think that area assigners would want to get rid of some of these guys because it does no one any good. Just Venting. Worked with someone like that yesterday.
#1) Those kind are everywhere. We call them "Slinkies" around here.

#2) Don't confuse giving an honest partner evaluation to the assigner after each game with "ratting someone out." Unless your assigner is able to observe all officials on a regular basis he may appreciate the objective feedback you can offer. We're required to do this after every game here in Rome. If you're required but don't do it, you're part of the problem. If you're not required, speak to your assigner about your frustration and see what he says. Careful not to come off as some kinda "better than others" guy, though.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to habram
Officials who think they too good

note: this is a common problem in most chapters in several sports
but this is also similiar to the officials that do not grow in officiating for whatever the reason is

For example , I worked with an official who had been calling 20 plus years
never wanted to switch , even stood close to the division line on free throws
I didn't want to argue ( 4 Jr High Games ) good games as well

You have to first know what is the motive for officiating , during the current game and any other game

as being a prior assigner myself , sometimes you have to send basically whoever is available especially for the low priority games.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 03:46pm
Esteemed Participant

Without "ratting anyone out", you could simply ask your assignor to not assign you any more games with Official XYZ...if assignor wants to know more, they will ask.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 04:04pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Ask your assignor if these behaviors are acceptable. No need to name names unless asked, and your professionalism will likely reap benefits in the future.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Ask your assignor if these behaviors are acceptable. No need to name names unless asked, and your professionalism will likely reap benefits in the future.
Ask your assigner how games at that level are to be officiated. Maybe you're (the OP, not Adam to whol I recognize I am relying) being an OOO for these games.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

It doesn't matter how long you referee, you run into these guys.

I am in my 12th year. I run into them. I have a good friend who is in his 30th year, he runs into them.

He said to me, "I know they are talking about how slow I am when we have a TO"

We have to live with them, they aren't going to change.
Old Sat Jan 19, 2013, 07:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No, really. Tell us how you feel.

Just do what you do. If they're senior to you, which will happen at this stage of your career, just say to them "shouldn't we do xxx right now?" If they say don't bother, then don't but at least you've put it out there that you know what you're supposed to do.

When it comes to partners being late or arriving 15 minutes until game time, I say call your assigner and let him know if only to protect yourself. If you call the assigner 15 minutes before tip and say "Hey, so-and-so isn't here. I was wondering whether you've heard from him" it lets the assigner know you're conscientious while putting him on notice that your partner may leave you out to dry.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sat Jan 19, 2013, 11:04am
Get away from me, Steve.

I worked a middle school game last season as a favor to a guy who was working a state football final -- he needed someone, it was in town, I'm a whore, etc. etc. $60 for 2 quick games with 6 minute quarters 5 minutes from home sounded good to me.

I completely get what you're saying. I showed up 45 minutes early...and was the only one in the gym.

I asked for a place to change...they looked at me funny and said, "Our officials usually come dressed."

My partner showed up about 6 minutes before tip-off. He sat down in the bleachers and changed his shoes and left his shoes and coat there.

I guess I was in Rome and wasn't doing what the Romans do. I was also told after the games that I was by far the best official they had seen there in their memory. Neither coach said a word to me all afternoon. The other guy? He wasn't terrible, but I wouldn't take him to do anything higher than that level.

I have no problem with saving some steps here and there, but I always work with the expectation that somebody might be watching or that my game might end up on YouTube (take it from someone whose worst officiating moment in 26 years *is* on YouTube) -- not because they will, but because that gives me extra motivation to work hard and be the kind of official I want to be every game.
Old Sat Jan 19, 2013, 11:05am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Ask your assigner how games at that level are to be officiated. Maybe you're (the OP, not Adam to whol I recognize I am relying) being an OOO for these games.
Sorry, I was thinking primarily of walking onto the court right before tip-off.
Old Sat Jan 19, 2013, 09:33pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
I go with the flow
Keep doing that.

Yes, it's annoying, but there isn't anything that is going to be done about it. Calling the assignor is likely to do nothing other than get your name brought up in a negative light. It's probably that the assignor and everyone else already knows about these guys —*a lot of times there just aren't enough officials to go around and the games have to get covered.

You're going to work with people at all levels who irk you for one reason or another —*it won't be most officials, just a few ... but it's going to happen regardless of where you work.

So figure out how to just focus on yourself and make yourself better, regardless of who you are working with. That is the best way to get better and move up. And when you are the veteran, don't get lazy and repeat their mistakes — do it right!