The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 01, 2006, 06:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dave30
Good job FIBA officials

I think the FIBA officials have been outstanding. They have been very consistent. They allow contact that doesn't really affect the play. They make the calls that need to be called. They are really consistent on both ends of the floor. The offensive foul calls are consistent. You don't hear fans crying "We were robbed!' like you do in NCAA and NBA games. They call the game fairly and do not become bigger than the game. Give the FIBA refs some love !!!
Old Fri Sep 01, 2006, 06:39am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave30
You don't hear fans crying "We were robbed!' like you do in NCAA and NBA games.
You were doing great until you hit that one. I just don't believe that for a minute.

Unfortunately, it doesn't matter how good a job the officials do in any game in any sport at any level anywhere in the world. Fans are still gonna whine and moan and complain about the officiating. Without exception. If you want to become an official, you just accept that.

Dave, the officials at this year's Wold Championship could be doing the greatest job of officiating basketball in the history of the game, and the fans will still be crying a helluva lot more worse things at them than "we wuz robbed". Trust me.
Old Fri Sep 01, 2006, 07:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think the FIBA officials have been outstanding. They have been very consistent. They allow contact that doesn't really affect the play. They make the calls that need to be called. They are really consistent on both ends of the floor. The offensive foul calls are consistent. You don't hear fans crying "We were robbed!' like you do in NCAA and NBA games. They call the game fairly and do not become bigger than the game. Give the FIBA refs some love !!!
Are you on dope?

Saw a play in the USA-Germany game where a USA player rebounded the ball. The German player cam down on his back. The whistle blew, the USA player then faked and went up and laid the ball in. The L counted the basket. Give me a frickin' break.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Sep 01, 2006, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Saw a play in the USA-Germany game. . . .
Come on, Tony. You can't judge the entire tournament's officiating by one bad continuation call. I haven't watched enough of the tournament to have an informed opinion either way; but I do know that one call doesn't make an entire staff good or bad.
Old Fri Sep 01, 2006, 08:55am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
Come on, Tony. You can't judge the entire tournament's officiating by one bad continuation call. I haven't watched enough of the tournament to have an informed opinion either way; but I do know that one call doesn't make an entire staff good or bad.
What if that one call was your last call ?
Old Fri Sep 01, 2006, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Chuck, don't read so much into one reply. I simply remarked on one bad example that I saw. My "on dope" comment was in response to Dave's obvious attack on NCAA and NBA officials. I haven't made any attempt to judge the overall officiating. Get a grip, shorty.

Last edited by BktBallRef; Fri Sep 01, 2006 at 09:31am.
Old Fri Sep 01, 2006, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
What if that one call was your last call ?
It probably still doesn't make you good or bad, although it's what everybody will remember. But for sure, it doesn't make the whole staff bad.
Old Fri Sep 01, 2006, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I simply remarked on one bad example that I saw. My "on dope" comment was in response to Dave's obvious attack on NCAA and NBA officials.
Ok, I can accept that, but it's sure not what it sounds like. It sounds like Dave said the officiating was good. You said he was on dope and gave the reason for thinking the officiating was not good.

Sorry if I mis-read you, but that really is how it sounds.
Old Fri Sep 01, 2006, 09:37am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb Thermopylae

From Sport Center's review of missed three-point shots, it was easy to see five the Greek defenders in the paint while the attackers were elsewhere.
Old Fri Sep 01, 2006, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Two things:

#1 Does anyone care about this team or the World Championships in the USA...NO! We care about the NCAA Tournament and some of us care about the NBA Playoffs (far less than the NCAA Tourney!)

#2 Does anyone care if the FIBA guys are doing good or if they suck...most couldn't find their way onto a Divsion III college game.
Old Fri Sep 01, 2006, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ok, I can accept that, but it's sure not what it sounds like. It sounds like Dave said the officiating was good. You said he was on dope and gave the reason for thinking the officiating was not good.

First, I didn't say he was on dope. I asked him if he was on dope. You obviously misread that too.

Second, I guess you think I'm not smart enough to know ""that one call doesn't make an entire staff good or bad."

Old Fri Sep 01, 2006, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Second, I guess you think I'm not smart enough to know ""that one call doesn't make an entire staff good or bad."
I do know that. That's why I said, "Come on". It sounded like an over-reaction and I was trying to talk you down from the ledge.
Old Fri Sep 01, 2006, 10:46am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRef

#2 Does anyone care if the FIBA guys are doing good or if they suck...most couldn't find their way onto a Divsion III college game.
Are you serious??? Those officials working at that level are excellent officials -they have done World Championships, Olympics, etc., and you think they aren't good enough to do D-III????

Hey Tony, here's the guy who is on dope!!!
Old Fri Sep 01, 2006, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
Are you serious??? Those officials working at that level are excellent officials -they have done World Championships, Olympics, etc., and you think they aren't good enough to do D-III????

Hey Tony, here's the guy who is on dope!!!
Yes, that is what I am saying, the whole world is far behind most of our college officials, maybe I was a little harsh on the D III thing. These are not the best officials in the world by any stretch!!!

RockyRoad, if you moved to Ireland even you could work the Worlds and the Olympics!

Last edited by RonRef; Fri Sep 01, 2006 at 10:58am.
Old Fri Sep 01, 2006, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRef
most couldn't find their way onto a Divsion III college game.
Many of the FIBA-certified refs in the US are NBA or NCAA D1 refs. I know this for a fact. Maybe not all, but many.