The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 21, 2007, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

BTW: officials that do a good job...

I just realized that most of my posts here include crazy situations with an official really messing up or an odd situation where officials didnt know the rules, misapplied the rules or just generally did some dumb stuff.

I just wanted to say (in the Thanksgiving spirit) that I also really appreciate the officials that are on top of their game, that communicate with coaches and players without being confrontational yet at the same time know when players/coaches are trying to manipulate and cut that off, that call consistant games, and take pride in doing a good job. Officials (like my players) that work hard, take pride in trying their best, and give consistant effort, they can mess up here and there and it's not a big deal, I know they are doing their job to the best of their ability.

Like offensive linemen, admin assistants, "dirty work" people in general, they usually don't get mentioned if they are doing a good job, only when they screw up majestically. This message board would probably be the boringest place on earth if all the posts were "Went to game yesterday, official did his job well". But just to let yal know I'm not a ref-hater, but a hoop-lover, there are plenty of good officials working HS basketball in my area.

And the rest need to read their braille rulebook cuz I accept the fact that they're blind but they should at least know the rules they are not seeing...
Old Wed Nov 21, 2007, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Koach
I just realized that most of my posts here include crazy situations with an official really messing up or an odd situation where officials didnt know the rules, misapplied the rules or just generally did some dumb stuff.

I just wanted to say (in the Thanksgiving spirit) that I also really appreciate the officials that are on top of their game, that communicate with coaches and players without being confrontational yet at the same time know when players/coaches are trying to manipulate and cut that off, that call consistant games, and take pride in doing a good job. Officials (like my players) that work hard, take pride in trying their best, and give consistant effort, they can mess up here and there and it's not a big deal, I know they are doing their job to the best of their ability.

Like offensive linemen, admin assistants, "dirty work" people in general, they usually don't get mentioned if they are doing a good job, only when they screw up majestically. This message board would probably be the boringest place on earth if all the posts were "Went to game yesterday, official did his job well". But just to let yal know I'm not a ref-hater, but a hoop-lover, there are plenty of good officials working HS basketball in my area.
Thanks for that. It might be nice for you to write it up and get it printed in the paper. Give some public recognition to the best of the best.

Quote:
And the rest need to read their braille rulebook cuz I accept the fact that they're blind but they should at least know the rules they are not seeing...
LOL!!
Old Wed Nov 21, 2007, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks, Coach.

Are there some paycheck refs? Sure. Some guys who should know the rules better? Yep. But the vast majority of us are there for the kids, to work hard and call a good game and really make it a great experience for everyone.

I'm an attorney. I dont officiate for the money, that's for sure. I love the game. I miss playing. I love the sound of the squeak of shoes on the gym floor in the big room. The bounce of the ball. The comraderie. But most of all its for the kids.

I'll never forget a play that happened my first year of officiating, and I think most officials will relate to this. I was reffing a blow out freshman boys game. A is down by 30. At the buzzer of the game, A1 nails a deep 3--just over the half court line. Now this kid is a sub on the freshman team. He likely isnt going to play college ball. He may never even make HS varsity, in fact. But he was jumping up and down like he hit the winning shot in the NBA finals. And his teammates were all hyped up too (though they lost by 27). And at that moment I realized that that kid will probably tell the story of that shot for the rest of his life. That was, for him, the NBA finals. And I needed to officiate that game for those kids just as if it was. They deserve that. And I think most officials feel that way. They understand how important these games are for the kids.

So we might not always get it right. I appreciate your comments of support and thanks. That means alot. Just know, even if I miss a call or get something wrong, that we are out there doing our best to make the game as fair as we can for the kids.
Old Wed Nov 21, 2007, 03:22pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
I just wanted to say (in the Thanksgiving spirit) that I also really appreciate the officials that are on top of their game
On behalf of all of us -
Old Thu Nov 22, 2007, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hey, some of us resemble that!

http://images.buycostumes.com/mgen/merchandiser/27250.jpg?is=350,350,0xffffff

Rats. Someone please fix this. It keeps automatically converting to URL even though I put in the IMG tags. I don't understand.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Thu Nov 22, 2007 at 10:15pm.