The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 17, 2013, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

HC location at Start of game.

I have heard about coaches having to be standing at the start of the game to be able to use the box, but that is not what the casebook says. In 10.5.1 Sit C, it states, "The coach must begin the game in a position within the box if he/she wishes to stand when permitted under the optional-box provisions." So where does this myth come from?
Old Thu Jan 17, 2013, 09:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

What if they use a timeout and then move back into the box while taking a seat?

Peace
Old Thu Jan 17, 2013, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

What do you mean by this question Rut? I'm not getting the point of it.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2013, 09:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

OK, if a coach sits outside the coaching box at the very start of the game, then a timeout is called or quarter ends. Then after the timeout the coach sits in the box, are we not going to allow the coach to use the box because they were not sitting in the box at the very beginning of the game?

Peace
Old Thu Jan 17, 2013, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Based on the Caseplay, I would say no. He didn't start in the box.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2013, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMac View Post
I have heard about coaches having to be standing at the start of the game to be able to use the box, but that is not what the casebook says. In 10.5.1 Sit C, it states, "The coach must begin the game in a position within the box if he/she wishes to stand when permitted under the optional-box provisions." So where does this myth come from?

I had not heard that myth before.

And, I agree with Rut that it's not likely to be enforced here. ymmv.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

Yea, I can't say that on my checklist of things to look for at the start of the game - 5 players each team, shirts tucked in, partners ready, teams lined up properly, clock ready, table ready, etc - that where the head coach is sitting/standing is remotely on the list.

Unless it's egregious (down by the endline, standing on the court, etc), no way I'd pick up that end of the stick.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

If I told a varsity coach he couldn't stand in the box because he wasn't sitting in a chair that was inside the box to start the game, I wouldn't be working varsity games anymore.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 08:54am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
If I told a varsity coach he couldn't stand in the box because he wasn't sitting in a chair that was inside the box to start the game, I wouldn't be working varsity games anymore.
I've told a coach sitting on a chair outside the box *before the game* to make sure he was sitting in the box if he wants to use it -- of course, this was back when we had a 6' box. The U1 (or U) typically asks each coach if he's ready before we toss it up, so he would catch it then.

You must be speaking about local thoughts on the rule, though, and if it should be ignored in your area, feel free to ignore it.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 08:56am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I've told a coach sitting on a chair outside the box *before the game* to make sure he was sitting in the box if he wants to use it -- of course, this was back when we had a 6' box. The U1 (or U) typically asks each coach if he's ready before we toss it up, so he would catch it then.

You must be speaking about local thoughts on the rule, though, and if it should be ignored in your area, feel free to ignore it.
Smitty works in Texas, where coaches have a lot of control.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Smitty works in Texas, where coaches have a lot of control.
While this is absolutely true, I was inferring I would get grief from my assigner. And I was exaggerating a bit to prove the point. I would get a talking to for sure but probably wouldn't lose my status. I certainly might get the opportunity to travel more to the far, far outskirts of the area from that point on, though.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 09:02am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
While this is absolutely true, I was inferring I would get grief from my assigner. And I was exaggerating a bit to prove the point. I would get a talking to for sure but probably wouldn't lose my status. I certainly might get the opportunity to travel more to the far, far outskirts of the area from that point on, though.
It's nice not having to deal with a single assignor.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Oh and I would likely never get to go back to the school where I enforced the "sitting in the right spot" rule as the coach would surely scratch me from their games. The coaches can do that. They also can scratch you from a district game if they have never seen you before. Last year I was scratched for a Friday night game on a Friday morning because the coaches didn't know who I was. (I had only joined the association the year before). It would have been my biggest game of the season. I was not happy that night.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 09:06am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
As would I. And if the talk-to didn't work, I'd find myself on lower and lower games til I was doing nothing but driving to distant small towns for middle school double headers.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 09:07am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Oh and I would likely never get to go back to the school where I enforced the "sitting in the right spot" rule as the coach would surely scratch me from their games. The coaches can do that. They also can scratch you from a district game if they have never seen you before. Last year I was scratched for a Friday night game on a Friday morning because the coaches didn't know who I was. (I had only joined the association the year before). It would have been my biggest game of the season. I was not happy that night.
Did you get paid for that game?

What a ridiculous system. God forbid you should ever call a technical foul on one of them.