The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   HC location at Start of game. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93567-hc-location-start-game.html)

McMac Thu Jan 17, 2013 09:30pm

HC location at Start of game.

I have heard about coaches having to be standing at the start of the game to be able to use the box, but that is not what the casebook says. In 10.5.1 Sit C, it states, "The coach must begin the game in a position within the box if he/she wishes to stand when permitted under the optional-box provisions." So where does this myth come from?

JRutledge Thu Jan 17, 2013 09:33pm

What if they use a timeout and then move back into the box while taking a seat?

Peace

McMac Thu Jan 17, 2013 09:55pm

What do you mean by this question Rut? I'm not getting the point of it.

JRutledge Thu Jan 17, 2013 09:58pm

OK, if a coach sits outside the coaching box at the very start of the game, then a timeout is called or quarter ends. Then after the timeout the coach sits in the box, are we not going to allow the coach to use the box because they were not sitting in the box at the very beginning of the game?

Peace

McMac Thu Jan 17, 2013 09:59pm

Based on the Caseplay, I would say no. He didn't start in the box.

bob jenkins Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMac (Post 872760)
I have heard about coaches having to be standing at the start of the game to be able to use the box, but that is not what the casebook says. In 10.5.1 Sit C, it states, "The coach must begin the game in a position within the box if he/she wishes to stand when permitted under the optional-box provisions." So where does this myth come from?

I had not heard that myth before.

And, I agree with Rut that it's not likely to be enforced here. ymmv.

scrounge Fri Jan 18, 2013 08:07am

Yea, I can't say that on my checklist of things to look for at the start of the game - 5 players each team, shirts tucked in, partners ready, teams lined up properly, clock ready, table ready, etc - that where the head coach is sitting/standing is remotely on the list.

Unless it's egregious (down by the endline, standing on the court, etc), no way I'd pick up that end of the stick.

Smitty Fri Jan 18, 2013 08:52am

If I told a varsity coach he couldn't stand in the box because he wasn't sitting in a chair that was inside the box to start the game, I wouldn't be working varsity games anymore.

Rich Fri Jan 18, 2013 08:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty (Post 872838)
If I told a varsity coach he couldn't stand in the box because he wasn't sitting in a chair that was inside the box to start the game, I wouldn't be working varsity games anymore.

I've told a coach sitting on a chair outside the box *before the game* to make sure he was sitting in the box if he wants to use it -- of course, this was back when we had a 6' box. The U1 (or U) typically asks each coach if he's ready before we toss it up, so he would catch it then.

You must be speaking about local thoughts on the rule, though, and if it should be ignored in your area, feel free to ignore it.

Adam Fri Jan 18, 2013 08:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 872840)
I've told a coach sitting on a chair outside the box *before the game* to make sure he was sitting in the box if he wants to use it -- of course, this was back when we had a 6' box. The U1 (or U) typically asks each coach if he's ready before we toss it up, so he would catch it then.

You must be speaking about local thoughts on the rule, though, and if it should be ignored in your area, feel free to ignore it.

Smitty works in Texas, where coaches have a lot of control.

Smitty Fri Jan 18, 2013 09:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 872841)
Smitty works in Texas, where coaches have a lot of control.

While this is absolutely true, I was inferring I would get grief from my assigner. And I was exaggerating a bit to prove the point. I would get a talking to for sure but probably wouldn't lose my status. I certainly might get the opportunity to travel more to the far, far outskirts of the area from that point on, though. :)

Rich Fri Jan 18, 2013 09:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty (Post 872844)
While this is absolutely true, I was inferring I would get grief from my assigner. And I was exaggerating a bit to prove the point. I would get a talking to for sure but probably wouldn't lose my status. I certainly might get the opportunity to travel more to the far, far outskirts of the area from that point on, though. :)

It's nice not having to deal with a single assignor.

Smitty Fri Jan 18, 2013 09:06am

Oh and I would likely never get to go back to the school where I enforced the "sitting in the right spot" rule as the coach would surely scratch me from their games. The coaches can do that. They also can scratch you from a district game if they have never seen you before. Last year I was scratched for a Friday night game on a Friday morning because the coaches didn't know who I was. (I had only joined the association the year before). It would have been my biggest game of the season. I was not happy that night.

Adam Fri Jan 18, 2013 09:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty (Post 872844)

As would I. And if the talk-to didn't work, I'd find myself on lower and lower games til I was doing nothing but driving to distant small towns for middle school double headers.

Rich Fri Jan 18, 2013 09:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty (Post 872849)
Oh and I would likely never get to go back to the school where I enforced the "sitting in the right spot" rule as the coach would surely scratch me from their games. The coaches can do that. They also can scratch you from a district game if they have never seen you before. Last year I was scratched for a Friday night game on a Friday morning because the coaches didn't know who I was. (I had only joined the association the year before). It would have been my biggest game of the season. I was not happy that night.

Did you get paid for that game?

What a ridiculous system. God forbid you should ever call a technical foul on one of them.