The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

T to Start the Game

First game of a JV/V doubleheader. We come onto the floor at 15 minutes and the home team is nowhere to be found. At 12 minutes they're still not on the floor so I go to the table to check the book. Rosters are listed for both teams but the home team has not designated their starters. Our association usually likes to have the clock stopped at this point in order to avoid the technical foul. However, no one is at the clock so it can't be stopped. I tell the home scorekeeper to quickly go find the coach.

Coach and team come strolling out and he finally marks the starters with 7 minutes remaining. I inform him that we will be starting the game with a technical. He tries to tell me the clock should not have started and its two minutes ahead of his watch. I inform him that we don't go by watches.

Two questions.

Would you have handled it any differently?

What is the procedure for starting the game with a T? I informed the official scorekeeper that we were starting the game with a T and to mark down a team foul and note the team technical. I then administered the free throws.

Do I need to make any sort of signal to indicate why we are starting with free throws?
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
Our association usually likes to have the clock stopped at this point in order to avoid the technical foul. However, no one is at the clock so it can't be stopped.
Do you not know how to stop the clock?
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Do you not know how to stop the clock?
Fair question. Lets say I did stop the clock and it still took 3 more minutes before the coach showed up?
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 02:34pm
M.A.S.H.

Yes, I likely would have handled it differently.

That said, this is a team technical. 10-1-1.

Charged to the team, and counts toward the team-foul count.

2 free throws and ball at division line for throw-in. AP arrow is set towards the other team's basket when the ball is at the disposal of the thrower for throw-in.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
Yes, I likely would have handled it differently.

That said, this is a team technical. 10-1-1.

Charged to the team, and counts toward the team-foul count.

2 free throws and ball at division line for throw-in. AP arrow is set towards the other team's basket when the ball is at the disposal of the thrower for throw-in.
I did all that you mentioned.

Tell me what you would have done differently? I'm not pleased with starting the game that way.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Two questions.

Would you have handled it any differently?

What is the procedure for starting the game with a T? I informed the official scorekeeper that we were starting the game with a T and to mark down a team foul and note the team technical. I then administered the free throws.

Do I need to make any sort of signal to indicate why we are starting with free throws?
In my area, we are not terribly strict with pre-game administration during regular season games. We become strict during post season tournament. We get very little guidance on this from the State Association. I would have made adjusments to avoid the T but that can't be supported by rule.

IMO, no signal. Just inform coaches and table and do as you stated. Of course, set the AP when the ball is at disposal.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 02:53pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
I did all that you mentioned.

Tell me what you would have done differently? I'm not pleased with starting the game that way.
I would have got the starters when I verified the book with the coach.

If I would have went this route, I wouldn't make any signal. Just make sure everything is recorded correctly in the book, made sure the coaches knew what was going on - get the shooter(s), shoot the throws, and start the game.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Even if it was at the 7 minute mark?
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 03:07pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
In my area, yes. Your area may certainly be different and your local/state association or supervisor may want things exactly as you called it.

My area is different. It's certainly not uncommon for the scorer to be still putting in the names and numbers at the 12 minute mark. Good scorers in my area are hard to come by and I'm certainly grateful for any help we can get at the table. Therefore, for me, it's not a pressing issue as long as I can get them when I verify the book with the coach.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 03:09pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

If I would have went this route, I wouldn't make any signal. Just make sure everything is recorded correctly in the book, made sure the coaches knew what was going on - get the shooter(s), shoot the throws, and start the game.
Quote:
Verifying the book with the coach isn't universal practice. Here, we're a little relaxed on the book stuff for JV games. We don't make a practice of stopping the clock to ensure everything is good, we just don't worry about it. And in this case, not having the starters noted wouldn't have been noticed, honestly.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 03:11pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Verifying the book with the coach isn't universal practice. Here, we're a little relaxed on the book stuff for JV games. We don't make a practice of stopping the clock to ensure everything is good, we just don't worry about it. And in this case, not having the starters noted wouldn't have been noticed, honestly.
True, and I understand that.... check local listings.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
We don't stop the clock here either. We walk over at 10:00 minute mark and look at official book. The info is in there, or it isn't. If the scorer is inputting info at that time we assume that they had the info before we came over at 10 minutes. Now, if we see coaches trying to make changes after that time it's a different story. Also - we are a bit relaxed if school shows up late due to weather or bus problem. Then we ask that the coach get the information to the scorer asap.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Well heck.....
I had the scorekeeper enter the starters into the book when they were getting ready for the opening tip. I had the game delayed for a moment or two untill the scorer was ready. No problem, no Technical foul. It was a subvarsity game.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 03:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Exactly. We'll check the book around 12, gives us time to get it added if it's not there yet. If the coach isn't out there yet, we'll head back across court and wait for both teams to warm up for a bit, grab the captains, and then send the R back to the table.

Again, check local listings.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

It varies from area to area. Many times when doing a Jv/V double header we don't even have 10 minutes between games.

Playoffs- different situation all together. Penalize accordingly.