Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Did you get paid for that game?

What a ridiculous system. God forbid you should ever call a technical foul on one of them.
I did not - I ended up assigned to a JV game somewhere as I recall. It was a bitter pill to swallow. Here in TX the coaches have so much power. It does make you feel like you need to coddle them a bit for just that reason. I have to admit, I have not called a single T on a varsity coach this season and I have at least 2 that I should have (a partner came in and got them). I am getting much better games this season and I would be lying if I didn't say it's in the back of my mind as I like these better games. This is an area I'm working on - I clearly haven't found my comfort zone yet.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 09:16am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
I did not - I ended up assigned to a JV game somewhere as I recall. It was a bitter pill to swallow.
Unless you're on the coach's chosen list, then I guess it's a great system. Probably one reason why the system stays the way it is.

I'll never understand why coaches are given such power -- it's not like they can go down to the grocery store and pull competent officials off a shelf.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Unless you're on the coach's chosen list, then I guess it's a great system. Probably one reason why the system stays the way it is.

I'll never understand why coaches are given such power -- it's not like they can go down to the grocery store and pull competent officials off a shelf.
I think one of the reasons they have the power is because they also have the power to determine which association gets to ref their district. The main reason I moved to this association is because it was able to convince 3 of the bigger districts near me to use it instead of the Dallas association. The coaches were the ones they had to convince.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 09:25am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I think one of the reasons they have the power is because they also have the power to determine which association gets to ref their district. The main reason I moved to this association is because it was able to convince 3 of the bigger districts near me to use it instead of the Dallas association. The coaches were the ones they had to convince.
Just proves the dysfunction of the state organization. When I lived in Tennessee, high schools could change groups, but once they did they had to stay with the new group for a non-trivial number of years -- no exceptions.

It made schools and leagues think long and hard about making such a move.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 10:17am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
It's nice not having to deal with a single assignor.
I work for multiple ones and I would not work for the one I did this procedure in their game. Then when the word got around a couple of others might not use me either. Assignors talk around here.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

IMO - if you apply the letter versus the spirit of the rule, you are over officiating.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 10:52am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I work for multiple ones and I would not work for the one I did this procedure in their game. Then when the word got around a couple of others might not use me either. Assignors talk around here.

Peace
Glad I don't work in NE Illinois, then.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Well, coaches do seem to have much more to lose (financially and perhaps career wise) than we h.s. officials.

Most h.s. officials I know are not full time referees. They hold down full time jobs away from the court.

These coaches jobs are usually on the line year to year, contract to contract based on wins and losses. No, it's not the NBA where a firing happens at the whim of the owner (AD), but, it's similar in that regard.

Coaches are out there representing their school, drawing a salary and trying to win. We are out there having fun and picking up a $70 check for our ubiased efforts.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tio View Post
imo - if you apply the letter versus the spirit of the rule, you are over officiating.
+1
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 11:15am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by #olderthanilook View Post
Well, coaches do seem to have much more to lose (financially and perhaps career wise) than we h.s. officials.

Most h.s. officials I know are not full time referees. They hold down full time jobs away from the court.

These coaches jobs are usually on the line year to year, contract to contract based on wins and losses. No, it's not the NBA where a firing happens at the whim of the owner (AD), but, it's similar in that regard.

Coaches are out there representing their school, drawing a salary and trying to win. We are out there having fun and picking up a $70 check for our ubiased efforts.
All of this is precisely why coaches shouldn't have that much control over the officials.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Sounds like a whole lot of excuses as to why some states allow the inmates to run the asylum...
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I did not - I ended up assigned to a JV game somewhere as I recall. It was a bitter pill to swallow. Here in TX the coaches have so much power. ....
Do the AAU coaches act in the same manner. The most arrogant coach I've ever dealt with is the HC of a Texas AAU powerhouse.
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
All of this is precisely why coaches shouldn't have that much control over the officials.
Agreed.

We should be able to do our unbiased, equitable thing w/o worrying about possible negative future reprocussions from a disgruntled coach.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 11:19am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

Oh, nonsense. Most of the coaches in my area are teachers. The two most successful coaches in the area are high school math teachers. This is HS basketball, and the games are supposed to be part of the educational process. And I know how much HS coaches make in my neck of the woods -- they make less money coaching than I do officiating.

I get that it's different elsewhere, but I'm not in Texas and we're not talking about six figure football coaches.

I have no delusion that my role is something special, but at the same time part of officials being unbiased arbiters is that the coaches shouldn't be able to curry favor by being able to wield a threat of scratching the officials. Or be able to avoid technical fouls by putting such things in the officials' minds.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 11:22am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

Coaches around here get a nominal stipend. It is not their full-time job either.

Still, what do their coaching careers have to do with who officiates their games? Picking officials who will give them "homer" calls is their ticket to greatness?