The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 14, 2011, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Game location changed due to power outage

Well here's something I thought I'd never hear, the scheduled away game tonight has been turned into a home game due to power issues at the other school.

What's the most interesting/unusual reasoning you've heard for a game location change, cancellation, or reschedule?
Old Fri Jan 14, 2011, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
Well here's something I thought I'd never hear, the scheduled away game tonight has been turned into a home game due to power issues at the other school.

What's the most interesting/unusual reasoning you've heard for a game location change, cancellation, or reschedule?
Haven't really had one all that interesting, but the one you just posted about isn't very interesting either.
Old Fri Jan 14, 2011, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Haven't really had one all that interesting, but the one you just posted about isn't very interesting either.
What I'm meaning is that I'm used to hearing of a game postponement, but not the change in venue.
Old Fri Jan 14, 2011, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

I've had this happen as a player. Since we were too far from our court to have it go to ours, we went to the gym 10 miles away. As we were pulling out of the parking lot, they came back on.
Old Fri Jan 14, 2011, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

The 1st games (BJV/GJV) have a scheduled start time of 4:15 PM. The 2 schools are approximately 2 & a half hours apart.

How/why the power issues I have no idea, as I hadn't heard anything in the news.
Old Fri Jan 14, 2011, 04:26pm
Administrator

Years ago, when my better half and I were newly wedded and we lived in Los Angeles, I had a women's jr. college game that was about 30 miles east of where we lived. I arrived at the game site only to be told that the game was going to be moved to the visitor's gym, about 30 miles south of the home school because of a leak in the roof. We all hopped in our cars and went on a road trip. No mileage pay either. LOL

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Jan 14, 2011, 04:47pm
Courageous When Prudent

I had a small college game moved to a D3 campus about 25 miles away last year because the home court got damaged during the snowstorms we had.
Old Fri Jan 14, 2011, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

I am thinking that since tonight's games are league, that the home game that's scheduled later in the season will be played there (to keep the home-home series going).

Unsure though, until am notified by the AD.

I can imagine what the other school's AD must be doing with the problem of having to do things last minute with transportation.
Old Fri Jan 14, 2011, 06:44pm
Esteemed Forum Member

So, No Hot, Single, Moms ...

Not my game, but last year we had a kid bend the rim during a dunk. Game got moved into an auxiliary gym, with just enough room for the players, coaches, table crew, and officials. Guess who wasn't invited?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Jan 14, 2011 at 06:56pm.
Old Fri Jan 14, 2011, 07:00pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Had a school play their home games on a local college's court one year due to water damage from broken pipes. It wasn't a last minute change, though.
Old Sat Jan 15, 2011, 01:05am
Official Forum Member

For all the games tonight, the actual home team wore their away jerseys while the away team wore their home jerseys.

The other game that was scheduled to be played will be at the other school now.
Old Sat Jan 15, 2011, 07:32am
Esteemed Forum Member

Orange Is The New White ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheslie View Post
For all the games tonight, the actual home team wore their away jerseys while the away team wore their home jerseys.
Found our at our last meeting that we have a public high school varsity team that wears orange home jerseys, without any waiver from the state interscholastic sports governing body. So we've been instructed to start the game with a technical foul. I've got a game there later this week. Not looking forward to it.

A reminder for rookies: Technical fouls for illegal uniforms (including illegal numbers) are not charged to the team, but are charged directly to the head coach. If a team member participates as a player while wearing an illegal uniform, then a direct technical foul is charged to the head coach, who will lose the coaching box privilege for the remainder of the game. This infraction is penalized when discovered, and the team member with the illegal uniform may participate without further penalty and is not required to change the number. A maximum of one technical foul shall be charged directly to the head coach regardless of the number of offenders.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Jan 15, 2011, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

In our area this happens all the time in baseball..."can't play at your field? OK come to ours and vice versa"
Old Sat Jan 15, 2011, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

there was this big dome....it collapsed

probably saw it on the news a time a two
Old Sat Jan 15, 2011, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Flood. Gym was inundated with water & mud about 3 feet deep. Home games were relocated to other schools (usually a neutral site) for an entire season.