The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 13, 2013, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

What's the call and why?

The defensive post establishes position by the basket and has her arms straight above her head. The offensive player drives the lane leaves her feet and contacts the defensive player. What's the call?
Old Sun Jan 13, 2013, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Hehehehe

fan boy alert
Old Sun Jan 13, 2013, 03:58pm
We don't rent pigs

The gray area in your description is "establishes position." Describe the play in a bit more detail.

I'm guessing the call was blocking and you disagreed.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Jan 13, 2013, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Your description is very vague. Sounds like a had to be there. From the little that you say, the defensive player didn't break any rules as they were in their vertical frame. Depends on the contact; both severity and where the contact is. If it was to the body and was enough to displace the defender, you could have PC. If it's with the extended arms, sounds like a no call. If the defender established a legal guarding position with arms in their vertical plane, you cannot punish them as they did nothing wrong. Not all contact is illegal.
Old Sun Jan 13, 2013, 05:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Probably nothing. Maybe a charge. Maybe a block.
Old Sun Jan 13, 2013, 05:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

The answer all depends on if the player had established Legal Guarding Position (which has a definition in the rulebook). You have not said if he had LGP or not. Or it is very vague if that was the case for sure.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 13, 2013, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Mregor thanks for the reply. Yes this happened 5 times in a game yesterday and yes I didn't agree.
I always thought if the defensive player was squared to the offensive player with their feet set and made no movement from their vertical plane. that they had established a defensive position and any contact initiated by the offensive player was an offensive charge. Maybe that is to simplistic.
I have seen the defensive players move their knees, hips, and arms and can understand why a block call was made. From what I seen yesterday the girls were still, no shuffling the feet or leaning into the player. A couple of the calls contact was on the body hard enough to move the defensive player backwards. The other calls it looked like contact was made on the arms. Are there other things officials are looking for when making a charge or blocking call.
Old Sun Jan 13, 2013, 05:15pm
I miss being on the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanting2Learn View Post
Mregor thanks for the reply. Yes this happened 5 times in a game yesterday and yes I didn't agree.
I always thought if the defensive player was squared to the offensive player with their feet set and made no movement from their vertical plane. that they had established a defensive position and any contact initiated by the offensive player was an offensive charge. Maybe that is to simplistic.
I have seen the defensive players move their knees, hips, and arms and can understand why a block call was made. From what I seen yesterday the girls were still, no shuffling the feet or leaning into the player. A couple of the calls contact was on the body hard enough to move the defensive player backwards. The other calls it looked like contact was made on the arms. Are there other things officials are looking for when making a charge or blocking call.
You've uncovered one of the basketball myths, and that is that a defender must be stationary in order to draw a charge. That's widely thought to be true, but it is actually false.
Old Sun Jan 13, 2013, 05:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

Part of the problem is that you either are not an official or you have been listening to myths that do not apply to rules. Nothing in the rules says a defender must be entirely still. That is why I used the term LGP which is actually a rulebook term. Once a player has established LGP, they can move within some perimeters and not be responsible for the contact. And if contact takes place, it does not mean there is a foul on the defender or anyone for that matter. Also a airborne shooter or player is allowed to land where they were going if the defender was not in LGP before that player went airborne. So still I am not hearing anything from you yet that suggests a rule was violated either way. But if you want anyone with any credibility to say that "A player must be still....." that is not going to happen. A lot of elements to these plays that are not going to be easily understood unless you either get into the rulebook yourself or see actual plays and we know when LGP was established. No one here saw what you saw and all we can do is speculate at this point.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 13, 2013, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes, we're watching the defender while a fan is usually watching the player with the ball.

The majority of the time that I see fouls on this play is when 1) the defender brings their arms down and then quickly move them back to straight up when there's contact and a whistle, or 2) the defender steps into the shooter but they think it's not a foul because they have their hands straight up. Then, they stand there with their arms straight up, like they'd been in that postier the entire time.

Now, not to say some calls are missed but if you have kids playing or are a fan of a team, you're most always going to see things as a fan of that team.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Jan 13, 2013, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not trying to find some one to say that it was a bad call or calls. I'm trying to learn why the calls were made so while I am watching a game I can see it from a different perspective other than what I perceive to be the call.
I will take your suggestions of looking up the definition of a LGP and the rules for a charge and a block.
Thanks for all the responses
Old Sun Jan 13, 2013, 05:47pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
I'm not trying to find some one to say that it was a bad call or calls. I'm trying to learn why the calls were made so while I am watching a game I can see it from a different perspective other than what I perceive to be the call.
I will take your suggestions of looking up the definition of a LGP and the rules for a charge and a block.
Thanks for all the responses
So you're telling us that 5 times in the game a stationary player with arms straight up was called for blocking?

1. Was she facing the offensive player?

2. Do you have a child on the team that got the short end of the calls?

3. Were there any similar bad calls made against the other team?

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Jan 13, 2013, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Join a local board, go to classes, get on the floor and make the call.

That will help you to learn and will give you a different perspective. JMO.
Old Sun Jan 13, 2013, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

Don't be too critical of him....I've seen it several times in one game from "trained" officials. He may not be wrong.
Old Sun Jan 13, 2013, 07:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Who You Gonna Call ???

A defensive player does not have to remain stationary to take a charge. A defender may turn away or duck to absorb contact, provided he or she has already established legal guarding position, which is both feet on the playing court and facing the opponent. The defender can always move backwards or sideways to maintain a legal guarding position and may even have one or both feet off the playing court when contact occurs. That player may legally rise vertically. If the defender is moving forward, then the contact is caused by the defender, which is a blocking foul.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)