View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 13, 2013, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanting2Learn View Post
Mregor thanks for the reply. Yes this happened 5 times in a game yesterday and yes I didn't agree.
I always thought if the defensive player was squared to the offensive player with their feet set and made no movement from their vertical plane. that they had established a defensive position and any contact initiated by the offensive player was an offensive charge. Maybe that is to simplistic.
I have seen the defensive players move their knees, hips, and arms and can understand why a block call was made. From what I seen yesterday the girls were still, no shuffling the feet or leaning into the player. A couple of the calls contact was on the body hard enough to move the defensive player backwards. The other calls it looked like contact was made on the arms. Are there other things officials are looking for when making a charge or blocking call.
Yes, we're watching the defender while a fan is usually watching the player with the ball.

The majority of the time that I see fouls on this play is when 1) the defender brings their arms down and then quickly move them back to straight up when there's contact and a whistle, or 2) the defender steps into the shooter but they think it's not a foul because they have their hands straight up. Then, they stand there with their arms straight up, like they'd been in that postier the entire time.

Now, not to say some calls are missed but if you have kids playing or are a fan of a team, you're most always going to see things as a fan of that team.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith