The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 09, 2013, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

Book set up

Hey everyone had this come up during varsity girls pre-game:

R is checking the book and counts 1 more player in the book than on the floor.I copy the entire roster in and then get the DNP's from each coach and she said that threw her count off.would you rather see entire rosters with DNP in the scoring column of those who were not active or just the active players?
Old Wed Jan 09, 2013, 10:46pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I'd rather see more. I couldn't care less about whether someone doesn't play, but if they might, I'd rather they were in.

Had a T tonight for that. Just a pain.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2013, 11:37pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
... she said that threw her count off.would you rather see entire rosters with DNP in the scoring column of those who were not active or just the active players?
Players are not required to warm up. Does it throw off her count if someone is in the locker room getting their ankle re-wrapped or fixing a wardrobe malfunction?
Old Wed Jan 09, 2013, 11:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

More is always good. Less could be a problem.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 10, 2013, 07:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

R is checking the book and counts 1 more player in the book than on the floor.I copy the entire roster in and then get the DNP's from each coach and she said that threw her count off.would you rather see entire rosters with DNP in the scoring column of those who were not active or just the active players?
I fail to see the issue with having more players on the book then on the floor.
Old Thu Jan 10, 2013, 07:48am
Esteemed Forum Member

Agree ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
More is always good. Less could be a problem.
Agree, more or less.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Jan 10, 2013, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Who cares? Players can be in the book and not play. The only reason why the number of players matters is to avoid a team missing a player and avoiding a technical foul by catching it before the 10-minute mark to tip.

Quote:

Old Thu Jan 10, 2013, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

You mentioned the 10 minute mark for having rosters in-I already have the book prepped well before arriving at school.I keep rosters on hand for myself and our announcer and ask each visiting coach to verify the information and make any additions or subtractions and get the starters at half of the jv boys game.The visiting varsity girls coach didn't have her starters when I asked so she just verified her roster and I got the starters from her scorer at the start of the clock.Usually I am able to get both sets of starters in before warm-up even begins.
Old Thu Jan 10, 2013, 10:46am
Back from the DL

Player is in the book, but not on the floor = no problem.

Player on the floor, but not in the book = PROBLEM.
Old Thu Jan 10, 2013, 01:47pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
You mentioned the 10 minute mark for having rosters in-I already have the book prepped well before arriving at school.I keep rosters on hand for myself and our announcer and ask each visiting coach to verify the information and make any additions or subtractions and get the starters at half of the jv boys game.The visiting varsity girls coach didn't have her starters when I asked so she just verified her roster and I got the starters from her scorer at the start of the clock.Usually I am able to get both sets of starters in before warm-up even begins.
So you keep track of teams' rosters and only ask for updates? Overkill IMO, but you are the one keeping the book.

I don't know about anyone else, but this is the first time I have ever heard of putting DNP by a player for a high school game.
Old Thu Jan 10, 2013, 02:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
So you keep track of teams' rosters and only ask for updates? Overkill IMO, but you are the one keeping the book.

I don't know about anyone else, but this is the first time I have ever heard of putting DNP by a player for a high school game.
I have had scorers and coaches cross off players that are not in uniform. Never understand why they do that or care, but they do not know the rules so what else is new?

Peace
Old Thu Jan 10, 2013, 02:07pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
I have had scorers and coaches cross off players that are not in uniform. Never understand why they do that or care, but they do not know the rules so what else is new?

Peace
It's not a rule.

It's a way for the Coaches to keep track of how many games a players has played in...used to calculate quarters played for lettering, calculate averages like points per game, etc...
Old Thu Jan 10, 2013, 02:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
It's not a rule.

It's a way for the Coaches to keep track of how many games a players has played in...used to calculate quarters played for lettering, calculate averages like points per game, etc...
It is a rule to keep off a player that is not going to play in a game that particular night?

That was the only thing I was referencing. We are not going to give a T if they have more players in the book or the wrong number if that player will never see the court.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 10, 2013, 02:50pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
It is a rule to keep off a player that is not going to play in a game that particular night?

That was the only thing I was referencing. We are not going to give a T if they have more players in the book or the wrong number if that player will never see the court.

Peace
Nope.

They can have as many in the book as they want, whether they will play that night or not. Crossing off the name or writing DNP next to the name is just a statistics thing.
Old Thu Jan 10, 2013, 02:50pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Rather Be Safe Than Sorry ...

Back when I was coaching middle school basketball, I would list all fourteen players on the team in the scorebook, in numerical order, for every single game, even if they were on the bench with a crutches, and a cast, or home, sick with the flu. What's the harm?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Jan 10, 2013 at 06:17pm.